Art and religion -- Is it sin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac_guy

Ok totally honest here. I have a paper due in 3 days, the topic is religion and art-I need some help. I'm taking the stance that the second commandment approves, rather doesn't dispute art ( like the Last supper or pictures of Jesus etc..) as sin, but rather if those objects are being worshiped as god.

Points to consider:

1. Is art sin?
  2. Is art worship or an idol?
  3. What is art?
  4. what is the Biblical definition of an idol and of worship?

Help me out with some ideas, sources, links. PLEASE!!

This Charming Manc

A good line to take.

Maybe our catholic friends can help us there, because they have ahd to defend from boring puritants attacking there art.

i would also say the act of creating art can be worship, and art can lead us into worhsip

johncalvinhall

Ok totally honest here. I have a paper due in 3 days, the topic is religion and art-I need some help. I'm taking the stance that the second commandment approves, rather doesn't dispute art ( like the Last supper or pictures of Jesus etc..) as sin, but rather if those objects are being worshiped as god.

Points to consider:

1. Is art sin?
  2. Is art worship or an idol?
  3. What is art?
  4. what is the Biblical definition of an idol and of worship?

Help me out with some ideas, sources, links. PLEASE!!

Though it might not initially appear to be related, allow me a little time and hopefully I can explain.

God's Word mentions a parable Jesus was teaching his disciples,
Matthew 15:16-20
(16) And Jesus said, Are ye also yet without understanding?
(17) Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?
(18) But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.
(19) For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:
(20) These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.
Jesus was explaining that it's not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but rather what comes out of the mouth. This is because the mouth is attached to the heart/ spirit.

It is the same way with art. The very act of producing artwork is not sinful, neither is the final product per se. The filth is found when the perverse heart bears fruit in the form of artwork (music, paintings, sculpture, etc.).

Questions I would ask is,
What is the artist attempting to communicate?
Why was the piece produced?

Example: Michelangelo's David. You know the one - the really big sculpture of a naked man.
What was Michelangelo attempting to communicate? Why was the piece produced?
If you have studied the matter out, Michelangelo was fascinated with the "perfect human body". He wasn't attempting to express perverse thoughts. He wasn't trying to make an idol to worship. Michelangelo was trying to view man the way God sees man (referencing a quote I heard somewhere earlier).

Now, we take the same issue... Playboy Magazine :p. They throw a picture of a fully naked woman on their cover. Now, ask yourself, what are they attempting to communicate? Why was the photograph produced? You would have to be an abject naive fool not to know the answer! Playboy Magazine's whole purpose is to promote sexual promiscuity. They WANT to entice their readers to lust after beautiful women.

What is the difference??? Both Michelangelo as well as Playboy Magazine are exhibiting naked bodies. Both are public displays of nudity. The answer is motive. And this comes from the heart of the artist.

Music is the same way. I cannot tell you how many times I hear the argument that music is nothing more than a series/ collection of notes and tones. Some just love to proclaim that music is amoral!!!! This also is hog-wash.

My son and I love Classical Music. We listen to it throughout the day. Is all classical music good? Depends.... What is the artist attempting to communicate? What was his purpose? Bach wrote music to the glory of God. Wagner wrote music to the glory of man. Mozart..... well he just wrote music.... and lots of it!

Rock Music is the same way. Predominantly, Rock and Roll communicates rebelliousness and God's Word says that rebelliousness is as the sin of witchcraft (I Samuel 15:23).

Now you ask, is art an idol? You also query what is an idol?

Scripture teaches us that anything that man places more important than obeying God is an idol. A new car can be an idol. That important job you just received can be an idol. Your spouse could be an idol! God is a jealous God (Exodus 20:5) and He will not tolerate His people placing anything before Him.

Worship? What is worship? The word originates from the Anglo-Saxon word "worth-ship", or placing worth on a particular object. This falls back again on the issue of priorities. Are you going to place that computer game more important than going to church and worshiping God? if so, then you worship that game more than God.

Artwork can become an idol. Artwork can be worshiped. Man is a sinful creature, and sin can be terribly deceptive.

Artwork is not sinful. Artists are.

Hope this helps.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
If we have a picture of our mother on the wall, it is not idolatry.

If we visit a statue of Lincoln, it is not idolatry

If we kneel before a statue to pray, it is not idolatry

If we use the presence of statues to criticize the Catholic Church, that is a sin

If we ask those at TOL to do all our research, that is a sin

Last edited:

Spitfire

Were these objects indeed worshiped as God then yes it would be idolatry. No Catholic expects a statue to save him or her.

SaulToPaul 2

Were these objects indeed worshiped as God then yes it would be idolatry. No Catholic expects a statue to save him or her.

:wave:

Exodus 20
4: Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
5: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them:

Whether you "serve" them or not, it's wrong to bow down.

Thanks sharing.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame

Exodus 20
4: Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:

Thanks sharing.

As long as he has that software, we don’t stand a chance

Spitfire

Exodus 20

Thanks sharing.
So, you would have taken a hammer and set to work "purifying" Solomon's temple?

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
As long as he has that software, we don’t stand a chance
Have you ever considered that he may not be using software? There is a very good chance he just knows the Bible because he spends so much time in it. A thing that VERY few Catholics do. (I speak from experience.)

assuranceagent

If we have a picture of our mother on the wall, it is not idolatry.

Yes, though if we have a picture of a man we believe may bear some passing resemblance to our Father (whom we have never actually seen) and we assert that it is, in fact, our Father, while we are not idolotrous, I'd argue we may be pretty silly.

If we visit a statue of Lincoln, it is not idolatry

And yet if we believe that our being in the presence of that statue may somehow exert power over us, say in the form of making us more racially tolerant, for example, then again...we are being pretty silly.

If we kneel before a statue to pray, it is not idolatry

Though if we believe that our prayer is more effective by virtue of our kneeling before a thing of stone...we just might be getting close.

...oh...and we'd be pretty silly.

If we use the presence of statues to criticize the Catholic Church, that is a sin

Then again, if we aren't criticizing the statues, but the silliness of kneeling before a rock or a chunk of wood or metal and believing it to lend power to our prayers to those who can't even hear them...well then...we don't sin. We just criticize silliness.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Have you ever considered that he may not be using software? There is a very good chance he just knows the Bible because he spends so much time in it. A thing that VERY few Catholics do. (I speak from experience.)

No because he admitted to using it

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Yes, though if we have a picture of a man we believe may bear some passing resemblance to our Father (whom we have never actually seen) and we assert that it is, in fact, our Father, while we are not idolotrous, I'd argue we may be pretty silly.

And yet if we believe that our being in the presence of that statue may somehow exert power over us, say in the form of making us more racially tolerant, for example, then again...we are being pretty silly.

Though if we believe that our prayer is more effective by virtue of our kneeling before a thing of stone...we just might be getting close.

...oh...and we'd be pretty silly.

Then again, if we aren't criticizing the statues, but the silliness of kneeling before a rock or a chunk of wood or metal and believing it to lend power to our prayers to those who can't even hear them...well then...we don't sin. We just criticize silliness.

I think your reply is silly

Status
Not open for further replies.