Art and religion -- Is it sin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

InHope

:wave:

Exodus 20
4: Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
5: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them:

Whether you "serve" them or not, it's wrong to bow down.

Thanks sharing.

Okay, so here's a question, then

Is it ever okay to physically kneel/bow?
If I kneel down in prayer with a Bible in front of me, does that mean that I am worshipping the Bible?

It seems that "bow down thyself" means something other than the physical act of bending at the waist. I believe that the sin comes from the wrongful worship (of which bowing is a physical demonstration). If one is truly worshipping God, then it doesn't matter what his surroundings are. If having a physical object helps him keep his focus, what is the harm?

InHope

1. Is art sin?
  2. Is art worship or an idol?
  3. What is art?
  4. what is the Biblical definition of an idol and of worship?

Help me out with some ideas, sources, links. PLEASE!!

-no
-no
- hmmm... that's actually pretty hard to define. I'm gonna go with dictionary.com's definition, here: the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance.
- idolatry= divine worship given to an image
idol= object of idolatry
worship= the honor/adoration/reverence due to God alone

God forbids idolatry, not art (including statues). In fact, there are instances where he even commands the creation of religious art.

God told Moses to "make [a statue of] a fiery serpent, and set it on a pole; and every one who is bitten, when he sees it shall live. So Moses made a bronze serpent, and set it on a pole; and if a serpent bit any man, he would look at the bronze serpent and live" Numbers 21:8–9

Ezekiel describes graven images in the idealized temple he was shown in a vision
"On the walls round about in the inner room and [on] the nave were carved likenesses of cherubim." Ezekiel 41:17–18

See also Exodus 25:18–20 and 1 Chronicles 28:18–19

When people start to worship a statue as a god, that's when the Lord becomes angry. People eventually did start to worship the bronze serpent as a snake-god, and the king had it destroyed (2 Kgs. 18:4).

InHope

a little off topic

a little off topic

:wave:

Exodus 20
4: Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
5: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them:

Whether you "serve" them or not, it's wrong to bow down.

Thanks sharing.

Ahh, one more question

What's "the water under the earth?"

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
touching the essence................

touching the essence................

- hmmm... that's actually pretty hard to define. I'm gonna go with dictionary.com's definition, here: the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance.
- idolatry= divine worship given to an image
idol= object of idolatry
worship= the honor/adoration/reverence due to God alone

God forbids idolatry, not art (including statues). In fact, there are instances where he even commands the creation of religious art.

God told Moses to "make [a statue of] a fiery serpent, and set it on a pole; and every one who is bitten, when he sees it shall live. So Moses made a bronze serpent, and set it on a pole; and if a serpent bit any man, he would look at the bronze serpent and live" Numbers 21:8–9

Ezekiel describes graven images in the idealized temple he was shown in a vision
"On the walls round about in the inner room and [on] the nave were carved likenesses of cherubim." Ezekiel 41:17–18

See also Exodus 25:18–20 and 1 Chronicles 28:18–19

When people start to worship a statue as a god, that's when the Lord becomes angry. People eventually did start to worship the bronze serpent as a snake-god, and the king had it destroyed (2 Kgs. 18:4).

:thumb:

All things good, true and beautiful come from and are inspired by God. Those who truly worship God, do so in 'spirit' and 'truth', for God is Spirit -Invisible, Incorporeal, Omnipresent.

God is the Author of all true art, Creation being the visible expressions of the images and forms imagined within Infinite Intelligence. We may therefore use 'art' (in all its forms) within our religious worship, to honor, reverence and be reminded of God's glory, character and Living Presence, in our midst. All forms, thoughts, concepts, archetypes, images.... are surrendered in the Spirit's service.

When the correct attitude and exercise of worship is excelled in and practiced,...images, icons, religous art of all forms and kinds maximize their 'aesthetic assistance' to make the worship experience all the more sublime, perfect and satisfying. The key is 'rightful appropriation' and 'discernment' to know the difference between authentic worship and idolatry.

God is Light, Love, Truth, Spirit.

pj

Status
Not open for further replies.