are you a feminist?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
"University of Pennsylvania researchers Betsey Stevenson and Justin Wolfers studied the happiness of women in the United States from the 1970s through present day and found an astounding conclusion: the more society accommodated women, gave them jobs, and scholarships, and supported them living single, and encouraged them to pursue their own private dreams and goals, to dress and act as masculine as they wanted to, and to shun any ideas of universal beauty or happiness in pursuit of their own private desires, the LESS happy they were"...
http://www.returnofkings.com/71027/there-is-scientific-proof-that-feminism-is-failing-women

From your link:

If feminism is not making women any happier, what is the point? It has already resulted in fatter, less pleasant, sluttier, uglier, less loyal women which makes men very unhappy. But if it’s demonstrably destroying the family unit while also clearly making women themselves miserable, shouldn’t it be thrown out tomorrow and the patriarchy restored?

In Saudi Arabia, a group of women organized a campaign called “My Guardian Knows What’s Best For Me” (reminds me of the old American TV Show Father Knows Best). These women demanded “punishments for those who call for equality between men and women, mingling between men and women in mixed environments, and other unacceptable behaviors.”

:chuckle:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Oh, and there's this gem:

If you have younger females in your family, stress this to them. And any time a woman mentions her job, degree, or other silly pursuit we should point out that scientifically speaking, this will only make her more unhappy, and she’d be better off watching an episode of Julia Child or learning a musical talent. The logic and reason behind this will be ignored, but the shaming and masculine scolding will make an impression on her.​

:rotfl:

Arthur Brain

"University of Pennsylvania researchers Betsey Stevenson and Justin Wolfers studied the happiness of women in the United States from the 1970s through present day and found an astounding conclusion: the more society accommodated women, gave them jobs, and scholarships, and supported them living single, and encouraged them to pursue their own private dreams and goals, to dress and act as masculine as they wanted to, and to shun any ideas of universal beauty or happiness in pursuit of their own private desires, the LESS happy they were"...
http://www.returnofkings.com/71027/there-is-scientific-proof-that-feminism-is-failing-women

"Shun any ideas of universal beauty or happiness"? You're using this as a source to say that women are less happy as a result? See the irony here at all?

:AMR:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
About the author:

I can't even copy/paste it verbatim because it calls American women the c word.

Way to go, brewmama! :thumb:

About Max Roscoe
is an aspiring philosopher king, living the dream, travelling the world, hoarding FRNs and ignoring Ameri[redacted]. He is a European at heart, lover of Latinas, and currently residing in the USA.

Arthur Brain

Oh, and there's this gem:

If you have younger females in your family, stress this to them. And any time a woman mentions her job, degree, or other silly pursuit we should point out that scientifically speaking, this will only make her more unhappy, and she’d be better off watching an episode of Julia Child or learning a musical talent. The logic and reason behind this will be ignored, but the shaming and masculine scolding will make an impression on her.​

:rotfl:

Oh...

Boy...

:doh:

Arthur Brain

About the author:

I can't even copy/paste it verbatim because it calls American women the c word.

Way to go, brewmama! :thumb:

About Max Roscoe
is an aspiring philosopher king, living the dream, travelling the world, hoarding FRNs and ignoring Ameri[redacted]. He is a European at heart, lover of Latinas, and currently residing in the USA.

Hmm, sounds to me like he's taken residence up his own (redacted)

brewmama

Hey chill out, there's PLENTY of sources on this if you don't like one in particular

"By many objective measures the lives of women in the United States have improved over the past 35 years, yet we show that measures of subjective well-being indicate that women's happiness has declined both absolutely and relative to men. The paradox of women's declining relative well-being is found across various datasets, measures of subjective well-being, and is pervasive across demographic groups and industrialized countries. Relative declines in female happiness have eroded a gender gap in happiness in which women in the 1970s typically reported higher subjective well-being than did men. These declines have continued and a new gender gap is emerging -- one with higher subjective well-being for men."
http://www.nber.org/papers/w14969

brewmama

Here's a NYT article on that same study

"But all the achievements of the feminist era may have delivered women to greater unhappiness. In the 1960s, when Betty Friedan diagnosed her fellow wives and daughters as the victims of “the problem with no name,” American women reported themselves happier, on average, than did men. Today, that gender gap has reversed. Male happiness has inched up, and female happiness has dropped. In postfeminist America, men are happier than women.

This is “The Paradox of Declining Female Happiness,” the subject of a provocative paper from the economists Betsey Stevenson and Justin Wolfers. The paper is fascinating not only because of what it shows, but because the authors deliberately avoid floating an easy explanation for their data."
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/26/opinion/26douthat.html

Arthur Brain

Hey chill out, there's PLENTY of sources on this if you don't like one in particular

"By many objective measures the lives of women in the United States have improved over the past 35 years, yet we show that measures of subjective well-being indicate that women's happiness has declined both absolutely and relative to men. The paradox of women's declining relative well-being is found across various datasets, measures of subjective well-being, and is pervasive across demographic groups and industrialized countries. Relative declines in female happiness have eroded a gender gap in happiness in which women in the 1970s typically reported higher subjective well-being than did men. These declines have continued and a new gender gap is emerging -- one with higher subjective well-being for men."
http://www.nber.org/papers/w14969

Have you got one written by Bertie Basset? He's got allsorts out there...

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Oh, he recognizes what he sees.

unfortunately, it usually looks like this to him:

Double-vision-demo%252520Dave.jpg

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Ever since I watched this for my U.S. Women's History class a week or so ago, I haven't been able to get it out of my head. It's been there every. single. day. ... So I thought, what better place to put it than here? And it's a double whammy, chrys - feminism and graphics at the same time. :)

There's a lot in it about Alice Paul, including her illegal incarceration and transfer to the psych ward after she led the other women on a hunger strike, which led in turn to her subsequent force-feeding. The suffragettes led a silent, peaceful protest in front of the White House for two years and were abused by men passing by while the police did little to intervene. Also, the man in the video with the letter in his pocket to vote yes for ratification - that's Tennessee legislator Harry T. Burn. Tennessee ended up being the last and final state necessary to ratify the 19th. amendment to the Constitution. After his mother sent him a letter asking him to vote yes, Burn cast the tie-breaking yes vote, and the rest is history. :)

Lady Gaga - Bad Romance