Are black on white attacks justified?

Status
Not open for further replies.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
They don't have to nor can they generally force it but that doesn't mean they don't ask for it for the reasons specified. It's not a race thing it's a bureaucracy/paperwork thing.

It's a matter of law and constitutionality. And yes, if done for the wrong reason and/or outside legal jurisdiction, it very well can be and has been used as a race thing.

Out of curiosity, what does Australian law say about asking for ID without probable cause?

Probably not, but it was a safety thing. She was also impeeding traffic since she was on the road and they even mentioned a truck which had to avoid her (a traffic issue and a safety issue). This doesn't strike me as an odd thing for the cops to have done to anyone of any appearance. They were extremely polite and open to.

They could have driven past her and told her to be careful and left it at that.

You could just as easily argue it would have been racist for the cops to NOT talk to her. By not talking they were not caring for her safety and thus not acting like black lives matter.

You'll note in my first comment to Nick I said they didn't have a reason to ask for her ID, I understand that cops will interact with the public in various ways outside actual law enforcement.

I'm more talking about your reaction. After I posted I realised I'd left out my opinion on her reaction and could be misunderstood. Unfortunately for me you replied before I could get in an edit.

Well, I'm not really concerned with your opinion of my reaction. :chuckle:

Based on the video alone I'm not sure how she reacted was racist either. Getting your back up when police ask for ID is fairly natural and common because it feels like you're being accused of wrong doing even if you're not. Even without the increased tensions regarding policing at the moment I know many people would react defensively (possibly even myself). A probably unnecessary reaction but understandable.

He subsequent public reaction after the event is another matter entirely.

Her reaction in the video was, as I said, polite and assertive, and good for her.

Tyrathca

It's a matter of law and constitutionality. And yes, if done for the wrong reason and/or outside legal jurisdiction, it very well can be and has been used as a race thing.
Oh no doubt it can be and probably is sometimes (perhaps even a lot of the time?). But that doesn't mean it is every time, in this instance I don't see anything that struck me as racial profiling or belligerent on the part of the officers in the video.
Out of curiosity, what does Australian law say about asking for ID without probable cause?
I wasn't actually sure before I looked it up. The resources I found describe it remarkably similar to how US law was described (i.e. they can only demand it under certain situations - mainly that they have reasonable suspicions of something). If they ask and they don't have the right to demand it you can just refuse, if they have the power to compel you they have to tell you first in order to enforce it.

There does not seem to be any legal issues with them asking without the right (they just have to stand there awkwardly when you say no). From what I can gather of US law it is similar there (with some variation by state),
They could have driven past her and told her to be careful and left it at that.
Uh or they could not. It seemed they wanted to have a better conversation than 5 seconds through a window. I'd find such behaviour unprofessional for anything longer than 5 words and even then it could be construed as impolite.
You'll note in my first comment to Nick I said they didn't have a reason to ask for her ID, I understand that cops will interact with the public in various ways outside actual law enforcement.
The question should really be - "if the person was white would they have asked for ID?". My proposal is that in this particular instance the answer is probably yes.

They clearly knew she was just exercising (they even said this), and clearly had no use for the ID apart from paperwork. What persecution do you think they were visiting upon her with that ID? (I'm not saying she has to give it. The law not compelling it exists for a reason here. I'm referring to motive)
Well, I'm not really concerned with your opinion of my reaction. :chuckle:
Fair enough :chuckle:

But I have a serious point I'm trying to make - there is little more damaging than a bad argument for a good idea/cause. By perpetuating bad arguments you provide opponents like Nick (and basically anyone not yet convinced) easy targets which they can pretend are representative of the whole idea. There are far FAR better examples of the current issues than this one here.
Her reaction in the video was, as I said, polite and assertive, and good for her.
I agree she was polite and assertive and even within her rights to have gone on to just say no to providing her ID. I just stated the obvious that she reacted defensively (i.e. she reacted like she thought they were accusing or doubting her right to be there) which was not meant to imply any belligerence on her part within the video (and I have already said from the video her reaction does not appear racist either and that they were understandable even common)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There was no reason to ask for her ID. None.

Except that she broke the law in her state, and they let her go anyway and asked her to walk on the other side of the road like a child in kindergarden knows to do.

Last edited:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Except that she broke the law in her state, and they let her go anyway and asked her to walk on the other side of the road like a child in kindergarden knows to do.

If they were concerned about her "breaking the law," why didn't they tell her to walk on the sidewalk? They didn't - in fact they suggested she continue to "break the law," on the other side of the street.

There was no reason to ask for her ID, or to radio in her name. None at all. Alt-right militia types are all about citizen rights and the Constitution - until they aren't.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Oh no doubt it can be and probably is sometimes (perhaps even a lot of the time?). But that doesn't mean it is every time, in this instance I don't see anything that struck me as racial profiling or belligerent on the part of the officers in the video.

I don't think anyone was commenting on the officers being belligerent. Sticking to my main point, they had no cause to ask for her ID or call in her name. I'd be willing to bet that if she'd been white, they wouldn't have asked for her ID, or called in her name.

I wasn't actually sure before I looked it up. The resources I found describe it remarkably similar to how US law was described (i.e. they can only demand it under certain situations - mainly that they have reasonable suspicions of something). If they ask and they don't have the right to demand it you can just refuse, if they have the power to compel you they have to tell you first in order to enforce it.

There does not seem to be any legal issues with them asking without the right (they just have to stand there awkwardly when you say no). From what I can gather of US law it is similar there (with some variation by state),

All right, so we're back to where we started: they didn't have probable cause to ask for her ID. Normally, conservatives would balk at the idea of being asked for ID without probable cause. Why not in this case?

Uh or they could not. It seemed they wanted to have a better conversation than 5 seconds through a window. I'd find such behaviour unprofessional for anything longer than 5 words and even then it could be construed as impolite.
The question should really be - "if the person was white would they have asked for ID?". My proposal is that in this particular instance the answer is probably yes.

I don't see it as unprofessional to pull up alongside someone. In my opinion, it would feel like less of an official "stop." Anecdotal here: I had two cops pull up alongside me when I was out walking on a road used by walkers and joggers, but has a stretch that feels very remote for a short distance, and so I'm extra wary on that stretch of it. They asked me if I was okay. Only they said it like this: "Are you all right, sweetheart?" I said I was fine thanks (while backing away from the car), because I didn't feel at all comfortable with the situation. They told me to be careful, and then they drove on. They didn't ask for my ID.

They clearly knew she was just exercising (they even said this), and clearly had no use for the ID apart from paperwork. What persecution do you think they were visiting upon her with that ID? (I'm not saying she has to give it. The law not compelling it exists for a reason here. I'm referring to motive)

I don't see the point in rehashing what I've already stated.

But I have a serious point I'm trying to make - there is little more damaging than a bad argument for a good idea/cause. By perpetuating bad arguments you provide opponents like Nick (and basically anyone not yet convinced) easy targets which they can pretend are representative of the whole idea. There are far FAR better examples of the current issues than this one here. I agree she was polite and assertive and even within her rights to have gone on to just say no to providing her ID. I just stated the obvious that she reacted defensively (i.e. she reacted like she thought they were accusing or doubting her right to be there) which was not meant to imply any belligerence on her part within the video (and I have already said from the video her reaction does not appear racist either and that they were understandable even common)

I appreciate the point you're trying to make, but maybe we should just agree to disagree. But I've appreciated the discussion. :e4e:

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If they were concerned about her "breaking the law," why didn't they tell her to walk on the sidewalk?

Perhaps that is not the law in that state. The officer said she should be on the other side when walking in the street. You just don't accept it because you see through a race filter.

Newsflash: white police officers arrest white criminals....and sometimes shoot them.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Perhaps that is not the law in that state.

You said she was breaking the law, but you don't know what the law is in that state? Fascinating.

I looked it up. If they wanted to write her a citation for not walking on the available sidewalk because they were bored out of their skulls and/or wanted to flex their authoritative muscle at the expense of citizen outreach, they could have. But Texas law doesn't require her to walk against traffic.

The officer said she should be on the other side when walking in the street. You just don't accept it because you see through a race filter.

Why don't you address the clear non-necessity of asking for her ID, then for her name? Why are you ignoring that?

Newsflash: white police officers arrest white criminals....and sometimes shoot them.
:duh:

PureX

I got an infraction for this?

:chuckle:

There are a lot of racists at TOL. Nick's just one of many.
It's becoming more and more difficult and pointless to participate here, anymore. I did not contribute to this recent fund drive because of it.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
It's becoming more and more difficult and pointless to participate here, anymore. I did not contribute to this recent fund drive because of it.

Agree.

When most everyone's who's not a political conservative is gone, I expect the religion forum will turn even more vicious. :chuckle:

ClimateSanity

Where did you get gender out of what I said?

The I don't have to do a damn thing what a man tells me to do attitude. Why else say it? I say that to anyone who makes a claim without substantiation. You just accused an unknown number of people on TOL. I was wanting something to back that up. Nothing of what I said deserves the response I got and it is a typical feminist response.

Arthur Brain

The I don't have to do a damn thing what a man tells me to do attitude. Why else say it? I say that to anyone who makes a claim without substantiation. You just accused an unknown number of people on TOL. I was wanting something to back that up. Nothing of what I said deserves the response I got and it is a typical feminist response.

Er, she doesn't, nor should she.

:freak:

Status
Not open for further replies.