ARCHIVE: The Apostle Pauls affirms that a Christian can sin.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Sozo said:
I know why he called people perverts. I just am not sure why he used the words sinning and sin in a couple of places.
Maybe because its a good word to describe people doing things that are against God's will? :think:

Maybe it's as simple as that. :)

elected4ever

Knight said:
Maybe because its a good word to describe people doing things that are against God's will? :think:

Maybe it's as simple as that. :)
That is the historic and traditional translation and it is still the same as anyone would find in Genesis. but it's effect is very much different.. All sins are covered so that we may be able to approach God and receive life (salvation). Jeffrey Dahmer had as much of his sin covered as the Apostle Paul. That is what the death of Christ was all about. That does not mean that everyone's sin will not be remembered at judgement. The resurrection of Jesus assures us that the sin of the believer is buried with the body and does not continue with us. We have the life of Christ and are a new creation. The New birth, being born again is no myth. It is an actual experience. That is why we have life.

When the children of God stands before God they will stand in life not death. It is the sin of the righteous that will not be remembered because there sin will have all pasted away at our physical death. It is the dead, those who have not received life, who's deeds will follow them and be judged from the things written in the books. When we are saved our name is written in the Lamb's book of life and whosoever name that is not in that book suffers the punishment of the damned.

It is our present circumstance that insures our future and our future determines our present circumstance. The forgiveness of sins and the covering of sin are two different things. At the cross our sins were covered and upon the request of a repentant heart Jesus forgives all our sin and are cleansed by Him of all unrighteousness. We become as He is and we can do the work of God. It is all the work of Christ in us. That is why it is imposable for me to be holier than you. How can I be any holier than what God has made us to be. We have the same Father. I only wont the rest of you to clam your birth right as I have done and stop giving place to the devil and his cohorts a place that you may be falsely accused.

Ephesians 6:10 ¶Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
elected4ever said:
All sins are covered so that we may be able to approach God and receive life (salvation). Jeffrey Dahmer had as much of his sin covered as the Apostle Paul. That is what the death of Christ was all about. That does not mean that everyone's sin will not be remembered at judgement.

The only way Dahmer had as much of his sin covered as Paul (all of them) was if he repented as Paul did. If Dahmer didn't repent his sins were not covered.

elected4ever

Poly said:
The only way Dahmer had as much of his sin covered as Paul (all of them) was if he repented as Paul did. If Dahmer didn't repent his sins were not covered.
Having your sins covered is not the same as having your sins forgiven, Poly.

elected4ever

Sozo said:
e4e... what do you mean by that? :confused:
The sacrifice of Jesus covered the sin of the whole world from Adam onward. One sacrifice for all for all time. That was for us as humans so we could come to Christ. It does not take away sin. The only thing that takes away sin is Jesus. He does that when we repent of our deadness and for our deadness he gives us righteousness and life. 1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. We are then born of the seed of God and are as Jesus is. 1 John 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
We must be born again to inherit the kingdom.

John 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.
9 Nicodemus answered and said unto him, How can these things be?
10 Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things?
11 Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness.
12 If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?
13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.
14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:
15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

It is through our belief (faith) in Christ that Jesus is faithful and just to forgive and to cleanse. It is because of this cleansing and forgiveness that we received that the Father births within each of us a new spirit of His seed and we become a new creation. Old things have pasted and all have become new. We are made like Jesus that He may be the first born among many brethren. This is a present day circumstance to all who believe.
1 John 4:12 No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.
13 Hereby know we that we dwell in him, and he in us, because he hath given us of his Spirit.
14 ¶And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world.
15 Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.
16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.
17 ¶Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.
18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.
19 We love him, because he first loved us.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Lighthouse said:
I'm not saying they're forgiven before we're born, though I know some MAD who believe this, but I am saying they are all forgiven once we accept forgiveness. God says, "You are forgiven for the sins you have committed, and any you will commit in the future." That's how I see it. And you can't even support your stance that this is not true.

So we can murder, adulterate, worship idols, steal, lie, etc. because we are automatically forgiven in advance?! Chapter and verse and I will exegete it properly in light of all relevant texts (you would have to proof text to come up with that nonsensical idea that undermines God's holiness, the evil of sin...God is not blind and stupid...He will not be mocked, even by His people, whom He disciplines and judges...Ananias and Sapphira, David, Corinthians, etc.).

godrulz

Hall of Fame
sentientsynth said:
Are you saying that this is what Wesley taught and was wrong about?

Or are you saying that this is what you yourself believe?

Questionable words, in my eyes. You really are approaching a works-based soteriology. I'm sure that I won't convince you of that, but that's what you're doing. Plain. As. Day.

I object to Wesley's 'entire sanctification' doctrine. He did not say the other phrase about gluttony.

Loving obedience and biblical repentance are not works-based salvation. They are outflows of saving faith which is not a work, but a response to the conviction and convincing of the Spirit before or after conversion.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Knight said:
Actually I don't think that's any big secret. I have made it very clear that I disagree with godrulz faith plus works gospel but that doesn't mean I am going to call him a "pervert". :)

godrulz and I have disagreements some small, some large and that's OK (we also agree staunchly on certain issues). That's what TOL is for, discussing these issues and helping each other to determine what is right and what is wrong.

ARRGHHHH.

I fully reject faith + works, as you know. I insist that even your idea of the circumcision gospel was not faith + works (unlike Mid-Acts proponents). Grace has always been the criteria for salvation with faith the means to appropriate it (Old and New Covenant).

Loving obedience is linked with saving faith. It is NOT a work.

I am being misunderstood. I want my lawyer and my mommy...now! :angel:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Sozo said:
I care a great deal about the words he uses. Have I said otherwise? I'm just wanting to understand why he uses them.

I know why he called people perverts. I just am not sure why he used the words sinning and sin in a couple of places.

Hint: The HOLY SPIRIT INSPIRED HIS WORDS. Perhaps you should change your view instead of trying to second guess the Bible.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
e4e confuses the objective provision of God with its subjective appropriation by man. Pressed to its logical conclusion, his view should lead to universalism. The grounds (reason for which) are also different than the conditions (not without which) of salvation.

Christ's sacrifice is efficacious for all who receive Him. Those who reject Him remain condemned and do not benefit from its provision and power (weak link is man, not God). John 1:12; 3:16, 36 is sufficient to establish this.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
godrulz said:
So we can murder, adulterate, worship idols, steal, lie, etc. because we are automatically forgiven in advance?! Chapter and verse and I will exegete it properly in light of all relevant texts (you would have to proof text to come up with that nonsensical idea that undermines God's holiness, the evil of sin...God is not blind and stupid...He will not be mocked, even by His people, whom He disciplines and judges...Ananias and Sapphira, David, Corinthians, etc.).
No! It is not the freedom to go about doing whatever you please! It's freedom from the bondage of sin!

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Knight-
Here's the bottom line: If I sin, it is in the flesh, not in the Spirit. I am a Christian in the Spirit, not in the flesh. Therefore, it is not the Christian in me who sins. Do you really not get this?

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Lighthouse said:
Knight-
Here's the bottom line: If I sin, it is in the flesh, not in the Spirit. I am a Christian in the Spirit, not in the flesh. Therefore, it is not the Christian in me who sins. Do you really not get this?

:yawn:

Mr. 5020

Lighthouse said:
Knight-
Oh, why didn't I get such a simple idea!

You sinned, but not the Christian you, the non-Christian you, because the Christian you can't sin, and you are made of two parts, the Christian you and the non-Christian you, only one of which can sin.

:kookoo:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Mr. 5020 said:
Oh, why didn't I get such a simple idea!

You sinned, but not the Christian you, the non-Christian you, because the Christian you can't sin, and you are made of two parts, the Christian you and the non-Christian you, only one of which can sin.

:kookoo:
Wrong.