ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philetus

God’s plans do not fail even if and when people do. God’s plans include people who fail even after they fail. It is called redemption and the goal is relationship which requires change. God isn’t immutable. Only SVer seem immutable.

elected4ever

Philetus said:
God’s plans do not fail even if and when people do. God’s plans include people who fail even after they fail. It is called redemption and the goal is relationship which requires change. God isn’t immutable. Only SVer seem immutable.
Then why does the OVer insist that God changes His mind and can make amends for past mistakes that he made because of poor judgement? You can't have it both ways. I agree that pure Calvinism is wrong but so is the OVT that I have seen on this board. Just because one is wrong in certain assumptions does not make the opposite right. We need not place one in one camp or the other.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I'm not sure what this has to do with the topic at hand but at the very least it shows that God does change so here's goes nothing....

rehcjam said:
"When did Jesus become God?"
Jesus did not become God, God became Jesus.

When did Jesus become man?
Non-sequitor. Jesus is a man, He did not become one. However, if you mean "When did God become man?" then the answer is, "When He became Jesus." More specifically, God became a man when the virgin Mary conceived the Son of God in her womb by the Holy Spirit of God, which incidentally, may have happen, by our modern calender, on December 25th in the year 5 B.C. He would have been born then 240 days later on the Feast of Tabernacles in the year 4 B.C.

Any more questions?

Resting in Him,
Clete

P.S. It's been some time since I read anything on this so if someone knows the details here to be off, please feel free to correct me.

Philetus

elected4ever said:
Then why does the OVer insist that God changes His mind and can make amends for past mistakes that he made because of poor judgement? You can't have it both ways. I agree that pure Calvinism is wrong but so is the OVT that I have seen on this board. Just because one is wrong in certain assumptions does not make the opposite right. We need not place one in one camp or the other.

God doesn’t make mistakes or have poor judgment. Where did you ever get that impression?

God 'changes' or ‘adjusts’ to continue to include people in His plans; people who make mistakes, sin and have poor judgment. OVT isn't the opposite of pure or impure Calvinism. OVT is a theological statement of the truth about God as it is revealed in the Bible and in God's creation; neither which contradicts the other. Calvinism is a construct of what Augustine brought to the church from Platonism, which contradicts both the biblical revelation and the truth about God evident in creation.

Your struggle is that you want us to keep dealing with those things that you have brought from Calvinism though you yourself are not a Calvinist but are defiantly Calvinistic in your views. That is why you can’t hear what the OVT is really saying as your remark makes evident.

elected4ever

Clete said:
I'm not sure what this has to do with the topic at hand but at the very least it shows that God does change so here's goes nothing....

Jesus did not become God, God became Jesus.

Non-sequitor. Jesus is a man, He did not become one. However, if you mean "When did God become man?" then the answer is, "When He became Jesus." More specifically, God became a man when the virgin Mary conceived the Son of God in her womb by the Holy Spirit of God, which incidentally, may have happen, by our modern calender, on December 25th in the year 5 B.C. He would have been born then 240 days later on the Feast of Tabernacles in the year 4 B.C.

Any more questions?

Resting in Him,
Clete

P.S. It's been some time since I read anything on this so if someone knows the details here to be off, please feel free to correct me.
I though they were grate answers

elected4ever

Philetus said:
God doesn’t make mistakes or have poor judgment. Where did you ever get that impression?

God 'changes' or ‘adjusts’ to continue to include people in His plans; people who make mistakes, sin and have poor judgment. OVT isn't the opposite of pure or impure Calvinism. OVT is a theological statement of the truth about God as it is revealed in the Bible and in God's creation; neither which contradicts the other. Calvinism is a construct of what Augustine brought to the church from Platonism, which contradicts both the biblical revelation and the truth about God evident in creation.

Your struggle is that you want us to keep dealing with those things that you have brought from Calvinism though you yourself are not a Calvinist but are defiantly Calvinistic in your views. That is why you can’t hear what the OVT is really saying as your remark makes evident.
Because you continue to make stupid statements like, "God 'changes' or ‘adjusts’ to continue to include people in His plans." God made his plan and God has not change it or adjusted it because man remains stupid for the most part. The whole idea is ridiculous.

lee_merrill

Philetus said:

Josh 3:10 And Joshua said, By this you shall know that the living God is among you, and that He will without fail drive out from before you the Canaanites and the Hittites and the Hivites and the Perizzites and the Girgashites and the Amorites and the Jebusites.

”On my next post, I'll show that God didn't do what He said He would in these verses.” (Bob Hill)

When God changes his mind, when he regrets he made Saul king, when he regrets that he made man on the earth. These would indicate mistakes, errors in judgment. Pastor Bob has again stopped discussing points with me, and I wish he would answer my questions. Please...

Philetus said:
God 'changes' or ‘adjusts’ to continue to include people in His plans...
How then were people included in the plan to have Saul be king, what adjustment was made to include people in this plan? No, OVT says this plan was abandoned, not adjusted.

... you yourself are not a Calvinist but are defiantly Calvinistic in your views. That is why you can’t hear what the OVT is really saying as your remark makes evident.
I agree that my views are Calvinistic, I also think I have heard what the OVT is really saying, they say God changes his mind, he repents.

He makes erroneous judgments.

So then again, we may not always trust God's counsel, for he may repent of that decision, and have to reverse it.

I grow tired of OVT people denying the plainest facts about their view, and also the plain facts in Scripture, in order to maintain it. Currently pending points continue below:

Lee: Not the Sabeans? Satan was not instrumental when people were involved?

Patman: If the bible says the Sabeans did it, that is who did it. Satan put them up to it.
So if the Bible says the Lord took away, then that is who did it? And then Satan only served the Lord's good purpose, with a bad intent, as the Sabeans served the devil's intent, not with an intent to serve the devil, but to serve themselves.

But you will not humble yourself and step away from the evil teachings you have.
Foolish fellow that I am, when I read "the trouble the Lord had brought on him," I think it means the Lord brought the trouble. This argument OVTers say is extraordinarily complex and convoluted, and yet they only tell me it's a figure of speech or a manner of speaking [i.e. it doesn't mean what it plainly says] because the context says otherwise, only the context says the Lord took away, every person in the whole book says the Lord did it, and the Lord does not correct this, Scripture even says this.

Job 42:11 They comforted and consoled him over all the trouble the Lord had brought upon him, and each one gave him a piece of silver and a gold ring.

I suppose we might consider the gift here a manner of speaking, if our theology demanded it, we need not conclude the Lord gave back to Job, actually! For his friends and relatives gave, and then we can erase a plain statement that God gave, without any compunction.

Patman: Even what he said is not blaspheme, "shall we take good from god and not bad" and "The Lord takes away" are a far cry from blaspheme.

Lee: It is if it refers to sinful deeds, is this not your view?

Patman: I just said it wasn't didn't I? Job didn't understand what was going on.
No, what I meant is that the taking away involved sinful deeds, so then if the Lord did this, to say the Lord did cause a sinful deed, in your view, would then be blasphemous.

God can stop sin. God will stop sin too. But not before he knows who will love God.
So then God made a choice when he saw these events happening, and to see a rock about to roll into a house, and not stop it, when you could, involves you in the consequences.

This a really is plain argument.

God must allow for good and evil until he knows what everyone will choose.
So this is a choice God makes, and then what happened to Job was chosen in your view to be allowed to continue, for this purpose. Then God indeed was involved in what happened to Job, he has responsibility here.

Blessings,
Lee

Last edited:

patman

lee_merrill said:
Hi Patman,
...Foolish fellow that I am, when I read "the trouble the Lord had brought on him," I think it means the Lord brought the trouble. This argument OVTers say is extraordinarily complex and convoluted, and yet they only tell me it's a figure of speech or a manner of speaking [i.e. it doesn't mean what it plainly says] because the context says otherwise, only the context says the Lord took away, every person in the whole book says the Lord did it, and the Lord does not correct this, Scripture even says this. And yet they will deny this, and tell me a flat denial is all I'm going to get. I believe that, at this point! Sad to say.
Blessings,
Lee

All day long, I have been looking forward to getting back to this post. I read it this morning, and it was all I could do to not answer it then. But I had to go to work...

But now I am here. Ready to rip it up. Lets start with the fun stuff first....

Lee: So then God made a choice when he saw these events happening, and to see a rock about to roll into a house, and not stop it, when you could, involves you in the consequences.

:noway: .oO( No way?!)

Are you sure Lee?

Well let's see. Lets take this argument to its ultimate end. God is our creator and life giver. When he ends our lives, they continue in the afterlife. So... he kinda has the right to move someone from one side to the other. It isn't a sin Lee. Surely you do not think God ending a life is God sinning??

Wait, there is more.

God owns everything. Your stuff... not yours. Gods. His stuff. He can allocate it as he pleases. If a huge rock is rolling down a hill and hits a house, and God didn't make it roll, but let it hit the house, he certianly is not sinning, Lee. And obviously not involved.

You see? There is no way (NO Way! :noway: ) you can accuse God of sinning or being involved in a sinful act using this analogy at all. There is no involvement, for one, and there is no taking, murdering, or ANYTHING else wrong that God is condoning.

AND

You would have LOVED for that rock smashing into that house to have been God's plan!!!!! It is what makes you get up in the morning.

Is this --> :crackup: <--your face when you see a family slautered on a sidewalk by an evil father? Do you think "Praise God his will is done!!!"

How utterly despicable of you if it is.

God is not involved when he allows our actions. Otherwise all our actions would be pure and sinless because he does not sin nor create nor author sin. God is holy and has a pure, righteous mind. If God stepped in to stop everything there would be no love in the world. Surely you have hard this argued before.

Lee: No, certainly they don't. But if some plans can fail, then we cannot always trust God's counsel, because another choice might turn out better, even from God's perspective

Don't you get that his plans are sometimes conditional? Can't you trust God to make the right corse of action based on the conditions of the set plan? Apparently you can't. You do not trust God enough.. you admit that.

Lee: So if the Bible says the Lord took away, then that is who did it?

You also said Satan served God's purposes. Funny. I always thought Satan hated God and was not in his service. I guess Hitler was also serving God too...

Anyway.

The bible didn't say that. Job, who is in the Bible, and who is a fallible man, did. The Pharisees said Jesus had an evil spirit too... does that mean you blindly believe it because it is "in the Bible," Lee?

Shew... I knew there was a reason I was looking forward to this post.

Lee:Foolish fellow that I am, when I read "the trouble the Lord had brought on him," I think it means the Lord brought the trouble... only the context says the Lord took away, every person in the whole book says the Lord did it, and the Lord does not correct this, Scripture even says this. And yet they will deny this, and tell me a flat denial is all I'm going to get. I believe that, at this point! Sad to say.

Umm.... "Lord does not correct this?" Really? Well I thought that whole making Job and his 3 buddys sacrafice for their sins was God correcting them... Huh. Oh, and again "every person in the whole book says the Lord did it," is simply :shut: .... wrong.

Every Pharisee in the Bible but one said Jesus wasn't Gods son... So that makes it right? Because all those people said so, and God said other wise, yet lets listen to the people instead?? Even though God told them they sinned with their mouths? Can 5 People out number God and change what really happened with but their words?

:noway:

No way!

Lets just listen to every foolish man in the word and elevate his words above God.

Look, Lee, the author of Job was trying to show us that Satan did this to Job. He is trying to show you that everyone was blaming God. And they were all wrong, so God came down and set them straight. Your context is your own distorted view. But what can I say to you. You do not even listen to what God said, and listen to ignorant men instead. You won't listen.

Lee: No, what I meant is that the taking away involved sinful deeds, so then if the Lord did this, to say the Lord did cause a sinful deed, in your view, would then be blasphemous.

Job didn't say "the Lord did cause a sinful deed" until later. At first tho.. He was not sinning because all he said was "The Lord took away" and "We should take bad things from God as well as good."

Had Job said "the Lord did cause a sinful deed" In Job 1 and 2.. the author would have said he sinned..

You just don't seem to connect the story together right at all. Even after all of us try to tell you to just read it... You just go on and pull out whatever you can to prove God is a sinner.

Look at your own words...God causes sin? God planned for all evil? Satan works for God? Why do you blaspheme God Lee? What kind of christian are you?

lee_merrill

patman said:
God is our creator and life giver. When he ends our lives, they continue in the afterlife. So... he kinda has the right to move someone from one side to the other. It isn't a sin Lee. Surely you do not think God ending a life is God sinning??
No, God doesn't sin when he ends a life, and he has a right to act, but the question is whether his choice when he sees a sin taking place, and does not intervene, entails some responsibility for that decision.

If a huge rock is rolling down a hill and hits a house, and God didn't make it roll, but let it hit the house, he certianly is not sinning, Lee. And obviously not involved.
Yet he made a decision not to stop it, and that involves him in the consequences.

There is no involvement, for one...
This would be the conclusion, yet now we need to examine the arguments.

You would have LOVED for that rock smashing into that house to have been God's plan!!!!! It is what makes you get up in the morning.
So an insult is an argument?

God is not involved when he allows our actions. Otherwise all our actions would be pure and sinless because he does not sin nor create nor author sin.
Now an argument! Then God is involved if he doesn't allow a sinful action? Just trying to clarify your position here. God is responsible if he intervenes? Or if, say, he removes a hedge?

Lee: ... if some plans can fail, then we cannot always trust God's counsel, because another choice might turn out better, even from God's perspective

Patman: Don't you get that his plans are sometimes conditional?
I agree, that is my view, and then God does not change his plan.

Lee: So if the Bible says the Lord took away, then that is who did it?

You also said Satan served God's purposes. Funny. I always thought Satan hated God and was not in his service. I guess Hitler was also serving God too...
Not by intent, but yes, the devil hates God and still serves his purposes, odd how God is capable enough to bring that about.

!

The bible didn't say that.
Well, it does, though.

Psalm 119:91 Your laws endure to this day, for all things serve you.

And again:

Proverbs 16:4 The Lord works out everything for his own ends-- even the wicked for a day of disaster.

And again:

Romans 9:22-23 What if God, choosing to show his wrath and make his power known, bore with great patience the objects of his wrath-- prepared for destruction? What if he did this to make the riches of his glory known to the objects of his mercy, whom he prepared in advance for glory--

Job, who is in the Bible, and who is a fallible man, did.
Only (as noted) God say he spoke what was right when Job said the Lord has taken away.

The Pharisees said Jesus had an evil spirit too... does that mean you blindly believe it because it is "in the Bible," Lee?
Well no, for we do not read that they spoke what was right. This really is not difficult!

Lee:Foolish fellow that I am, when I read "the trouble the Lord had brought on him," I think it means the Lord brought the trouble... only the context says the Lord took away, every person in the whole book says the Lord did it, and the Lord does not correct this...

Patman: Umm.... "Lord does not correct this?" Really? Well I thought that whole making Job and his 3 buddys sacrafice for their sins was God correcting them.
Certainly, I meant that God does not say "I didn't do this," in fact, he says "the trouble the Lord brought." This is not difficult...

Look, Lee, the author of Job was trying to show us that Satan did this to Job.
Or the Sabeans? Who is it, exactly? The Sabeans acted, we read, Satan did it, we also read, and then God did it, we also read.

He is trying to show you that everyone was blaming God. And they were all wrong...
Exactly, that was the problem, and God was not blameworthy, in whatever way he may act or not act.

Lee: No, what I meant is that the taking away involved sinful deeds, so then if the Lord did this, to say the Lord did cause a sinful deed, in your view, would then be blasphemous.

Patman: Job didn't say "the Lord did cause a sinful deed" until later. At first tho.. He was not sinning because all he said was "The Lord took away" and "We should take bad things from God as well as good."

Had Job said "the Lord did cause a sinful deed" In Job 1 and 2.. the author would have said he sinned.
But clearly what happened to Job involved sinful deeds.

You just don't seem to connect the story together right at all. Even after all of us try to tell you to just read it... You just go on and pull out whatever you can to prove God is a sinner.
Not at all, I read the Lord brought the trouble, the Lord took away, and I read "blessed be the name of the Lord." Amen.

Look at your own words...God causes sin? God planned for all evil? Satan works for God? Why do you blaspheme God Lee? What kind of christian are you?
This kind?

Amos 3:6 When a trumpet sounds in a city, do not the people tremble? When disaster comes to a city, has not the Lord caused it?

Romans 5:20 The law was added so that the trespass might increase.

Romans 11:32 For God has bound all men over to disobedience so that he may have mercy on them all.

Blessings,
Lee

patman

I have to start a new topic before Lee drags me back in.

I always wondered what it would have been like had Adam and Eve not sinned and t things went according to his plan. I have no basis for this, but maybe someone can validate or invalidate it:

Would god have ever let Adam and Eve eat of the tree "Once they were grown up enough?"

Perhaps this belongs in a different thread, but the best OVers are on here...

elected4ever

Lee, would you please quit making asinine statements like, "No, God doesn't sin when he ends a life, and he has a right to act, but the question is whether his choice when he sees a sin taking place, and does not intervene, entails some responsibility for that decision." God is never responsible for the acts of sin that a man does. It is man's responsibility to to punish evil. Man's failure to do so does not make God complicit in the act.

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
patman
I have to start a new topic before Lee drags me back in.

I always wondered what it would have been like had Adam and Eve not sinned and t things went according to his plan. I have no basis for this, but maybe someone can validate or invalidate it:

Would god have ever let Adam and Eve eat of the tree "Once they were grown up enough?"

Perhaps this belongs in a different thread, but the best OVers are on here...

patman,

I have not seen any basis in the Bible for Adam and Eve not sinning. Therefore, I strongly assert that there is no basis that would convince all of us OVers.

However, there is a basis that all believers of this dispensation would be chosen in Him. This determination was made before the foundation of the world. What was the determination? That we who would be saved would be holy and without blame before Him in love.

Eph 1:3-6 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, 4 just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love, 5 having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will, 6 to the praise of the glory of His grace, by which He has made us accepted in the Beloved.

Further, God had the basis of redemption, Christ the lamb of God who was foreordained before the foundation of the world. 1 Pet 1:19,20 the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot. 20 He indeed was foreordained before the foundation of the world.

There are some things that God determined before the foundation of the World. The most important one was the death of the Son of God for believers’ salvation.

Thank you Lord Jesus,
Bob Hill

Status
Not open for further replies.