Alcohol use Poll

Alcohol use Poll

• Drinking is sinful.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
This is a poll to examine views on the use of alcohol, and being this would be your position, I feel it would be best as an open poll. Pick as many as apply to you, if none apply, state why. Please leave comments and try to stay on topic.

Aimiel

I say:

Moderate use of alcohol would be fine;
Drinking in access is the only problem with alcohol;
And: Alcohol should be restricted to protect children.

dreadknought

I was joking around about the poll not being posted, yet, yet... I'm not joking by saying there is an attempt to profile posteres in the questions posed. :plain:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I did not mean it that way. I grew up with all kinds of laws regarding alcohol

Aimiel

Some people abuse sex. Some are greedy and love money and / or possessions too much. Some abuse food. Alcohol or other drug abuse is rampant in this country. It's been glorified on TV, just as food and possessions have. If people would come into a relationship with God and put Him on the throne of their life instead of their belly, we'd be close to having our job done.

Buzzword

I grew up in one of the last "dry" counties left in Texas.
The closest liquor stores were 45 miles away.
I lost three classmates to drunk driving between 8th and 12th grade.
My hometown became "wet" four years ago, and hasn't had a drunk-driving incident since; being able to WALK to the liquor store will do that.

My parents never said a WORD to me about alcohol, and since nobody else in the family talked about it I always assumed it was a taboo in our family.
When I moved to Oklahoma (which has never had "dry" anything), and found my brother and sister-in-law were social drinkers, it was like culture shock.

I have since found several types of drinks which I enjoy, but have never gone past "tipsy" in state of mind, in part because liquor is expensive (and I mostly only enjoy beer and one kind of wine), and have never driven in such a state because I have responsible friends (and a wife who is a lightweight).

I would prefer that parents teach their children about enjoying alcohol responsibly, to know themselves and their limits, instead of making it a taboo (whether religious, moral, or whatever) for the kids to rebel against or trying to make it less available through pushing legislation.

A friend of mine received a bottle of champagne as a house-warming present from her parents when she moved out at age 19.
Alcohol had never been taboo in their house, and she and her father had bonded over a shared interest in homebrewing (she later majored in chemistry; go figure).
She is now a mother of two, has never even approached alcoholism, and enjoys her drinks of choice because she likes the taste.

As my favorite high school teacher put it:
"Don't go fishing with someone from church. If you do, take two people from church; if you just take one, he'll drink all your beer."

The implication being that church people DO enjoy drinking, but DON'T want to be SEEN enjoying drinking.

Which is the real problem with any kind of teetotaler mindset attempting to graft itself onto Christianity.
Straining at gnats, and all that.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
:patrol:
I say:

Moderate use of alcohol would be fine;
Drinking in access is the only problem with alcohol;
And: Alcohol should be restricted to protect children.

it's excess. yes, anything in excess can be bad. except God. we all have access to alcohol, don't do it in excess. amen ! - :cool:

Morpheus

I have difficulty checking any of the answers. I guess I tend to over think things. I see no basic problem with light alcohol consumption, yet for some people one drink is too much. I grew up around some pretty sloppy drunks. My dad alone would drink 5-6 cases of beer a week, and that's just what he drank after he came home. I drank fairly heavily from 16 until I turned 27. I even remember once noticing just how awful everyone else in a bar looked at 2:30 a.m., just thankful I wasn't like them (right). Like I said, I think it can be acceptable in small doses for those who can actually manage it; it's just that most people who can't manage it still believe they can. And I have seen the devastation it can cause.

When I was drinking one of my favorite tongue-in-cheek lines when asked, "How'd it go last night?", was, "I got drunk, some guy took offense, we got in a fight, I threw up, went home, threw up again and passed out. Boy we had a good time.". The thing is it's all too often very close to the truth. In one way alcohol is like money, no one can serve two masters. Once it controls you it is your master.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Buzzword
Thanks for the testimony. I tried to make it hard for me to answer. We have had similar experiences. You bring up a good point about dry county, or in Texas, dry town is wet county, or wet town in dry county.

Texas has the most weird laws on alcohol. Most if the South, if the county is dry, all towns are dry. Now, in Alabama, most towns are wet, but usually no liquor of any kind sold on Sunday.

Louisiana has always been the wettest part of the South.

Do you know where Graham Texas is? I used to live there long ago and that town was dry with roadhouses on the county line. The police would park out on the highway and arrest most of the drunks. I never went into the roadhouses, but seen them passing buy.

Madisonville was dry, and Huntsville was wet.

Most places north of Atlanta were dry. The city had been wet as far as I remember.

I never liked drinking all that much, although I used to like wine. I am not one who is against drinking based on religion, yet most older people I knew were against alcohol.

Most I knew would not allow any drinking in their home, and as a young adult, I was afraid to admit any drinking, even though it was just a little wine. I did not like beer until I was about forty years old!

Most places I lived were ABC liquor controlled, or have package stores like Tennessee.

I will take the poll but i seen my own polls close when I post and would like to see the results. If member wish, i could close it later?

Buzzword

What is the importance, or point of this thread?

The same as ANY thread EVER:
To exchange opinions on a subject.

Just to stay on topic, here's something I enjoy in moderation:
BlueMoonCarrier.jpg

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I think alcohol is alright for adult use. Agree

I would rather not be around alcohol users. Agree, if they drink each day, and disagree if they drink on occasion.

I would rather have alcohol sales banned in my town. Disagree

I think beer and wine is alright to sell, but hard alcohol should be controlled. Agree

Good Christians abstain from alcohol. I assume most would not drink regularly, not sure?

Drinking in access is the only problem with alcohol. I mainly agree.

I would not like seeing my friends and family drink alcohol. Disagree, unless they drank each day.

Alcohol should be restricted to protect children. Agree

The last three are the norm where and when I grew up, albeit my father drank a few away from home, most thought it was sinful. My mother never thought drinking a moral issue, yet she did not drink much, and many of her friends did see it as wrong, or they were snobbish about drinking?

The questions I posed are hard for me to answer.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
This is a poll to examine views on the use of alcohol, and being this would be your position, I feel it would be best as an open poll. Pick as many as apply to you, if none apply, state why. Please leave comments and try to stay on topic.
I thought the first one was too vague to endorse singularly. Alcohol should be restricted to those twenty five and older, who have a fully developed prefrontal cortex and enough of a start at life experience to drink responsibly...also being removed from college environments and the juvenile temptations to abuse the substance wedded to those institutions too often.

Alcohol in moderation has health benefits and can be enjoyed without the user harming anyone. That said I don't keep any in my house and only drink in strict moderation in social environments. If I wanted a consciousness altering chemical I'd buy a bag of M&Ms. :)

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't have a problem with adults (21 and older) who choose to drink. I don't drink because I grew up in a home with two alcoholic parents. The only time I buy any alcohol is Thanksgiving to baste my turkey (I buy a beer). If there are any adults 21 and older in my house, I allow them to drink if they buy the alcohol. I don't drink so I won't buy it. And, if they choose to drink, I ask them to hand me their car keys.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My choice is not listed. It is neither moral nor immoral. Being a drunk is immoral. Now pass the scotch.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Then you are saying drinking is not a moral issue, but being drunk is a moral issue. I will concur.