a case against Enyart's "Nicer than God"

Status
Not open for further replies.

fool

Hall of Fame
The Edge said:
amazing....on this new board, I only posted about 10 tiimes, and already I got over 5000 reputaiton and like 12 green boxes under my name :)
Do you seek truth
or green boxes

The Edge

BANNED
Banned
kmoney said:
I thought Pastor Bob had some good points. Overall he's probably right, but I think he should be careful about generalizing too much.

One thought...some people criticize this letter by Bob because they believe he is advocating mockery/ridicule as a first resort. I do not think this is true. Bob certainly seems to condone it in some cases, but he isn't encouraging it all the time. People think that when Bob talks about "offending" people it must be because the offended person was mocked/ridiculed in some sharp way, but that isn't necessarily the case. I think the original poster mentioned this also but, the gospel itself can be offensive. You can present the gospel in a very unoffensive way but the unbeliever may still be offended because the gospel tells the person they are in sin and must repent and come to the saving grace of Jesus Christ. That can be offensive. So when people get the impression that Pastor Bob is meaning mockery everytime he talks about offending people I do not think that's true. He is saying to present the gospel as it should be presented and if someone is offended don't worry about it. Don't seek forgiveness for stepping on some toes.

I do question some of the verses he used though. Many of the verses he used for the OT was God mocking sinners and I personally think there is a difference between God mocking sinners and Christians doing it. I seem to be in the minority in that though. Yes Jesus used some harsh terms and maybe Paul used sarcasm in his letters in some cases, but I believe that people have taken it too far. I, for the most part, don't have a problem with Bob's letter, but I do think people have used it as a license to throw derogatory terms around to believers and unbelievers alike.

Kevin
I wish I was more eloquant. I used to be a great writer.

louhardt

Talking to Pharisees?

Talking to Pharisees?

I just have a simple question about the Nicer Than God work.

Where in the inerrant Word of God, in Matthew in the chapters covering the Sermon on the Mount, where does it say that Jesus was talking to Pharisees? I also note that Mr. Enyart played with the audience just a bit on his death penalty page where he stated that in Matt. 7:1, 5 Jesus was talking to criminals. But that is for another thread.

Thanks

Lovejoy

The Edge said:
amazing....on this new board, I only posted about 10 tiimes, and already I got over 5000 reputaiton and like 12 green boxes under my name :)
The system does not work the same everywhere. There is a site that I post on in which your rep power is nearly your rep itself! It quickly becomes a pointless system.

Jadant

louhardt said:
I just have a simple question about the Nicer Than God work.

Where in the inerrant Word of God, in Matthew in the chapters covering the Sermon on the Mount, where does it say that Jesus was talking to Pharisees?
Which part of the 'Nicer than God' writing are you finding this in? Try to include a quote so I can find what you're talking about.

louhardt said:
I also note that Mr. Enyart played with the audience just a bit on his death penalty page where he stated that in Matt. 7:1, 5 Jesus was talking to criminals. But that is for another thread.

Thanks
Again, try to include a qoute from the original writing so I can follow your line of thinking.

louhardt

Sermon on the Mount

Sermon on the Mount

Jadant said:
Which part of the 'Nicer than God' writing are you finding this in? Try to include a quote so I can find what you're talking about.

Again, try to include a qoute from the original writing so I can follow your line of thinking.

I have given my marked papers to someone else so will have to get back with the first quote. (And since I can't find the reference right now I will backtrack that one. There is a reference I question but my brain has allowed the two to get confused.)

Re: the death penalty work, which is the bulk of the first page of the Denver Bible Church website, I give you

"When Jesus said, “Judge not… [you] hypocrite” (Mat. 7:1, 5) He spoke to criminals."

This is near the bottom, IE6, medium font, scroll bar 1" from the bottom, 5th paragraph, I believe, from the bottom.

Jadant

louhardt said:
Re: the death penalty work, which is the bulk of the first page of the Denver Bible Church website, I give you

"When Jesus said, “Judge not… [you] hypocrite” (Mat. 7:1, 5) He spoke to criminals."

This is near the bottom, IE6, medium font, scroll bar 1" from the bottom, 5th paragraph, I believe, from the bottom.

Yes, I found that on the DBC website. It does seem to me a bit of a stretch to make that statement without an explanation. I don't believe it was meant to be intentionally misleading, but perhaps it needs some clarification.

Let me know when you find the other quote.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Jadant said:

You can find Nicer than God Here

Status
Not open for further replies.