a case against Enyart's "Nicer than God"

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Edge

BANNED
Banned
I write this to present my case against this writing of Bob Enyart. I think it is unscriptural and does not correctly teach us how to deal with people, and how it is causing needless division among believers. I don’t present this to “whine” as some will surely say, but to try to make people think about what they are doing to other people. I’ll show that the gospel is one of love, not rudeness for the sake of rudeness. And we can love and be harsh at the same time, but one must be careful doing it.

I think this article Mr. Enyart wrote is partially correct. He asserts that Christian churches today are too polite and nice. I agree that is true, but only in some Christian churches, mainly liberal ones. Those are the churches that water down the gospel and make it more friendly and easier to take. They make church a warm cuddly place where everyone is welcome.

But that is not true of all Christian churches. Many good Bible believing churches are not afraid to preach the true gospel, the gospel that is offensive to unbelievers. They use an in your face style of preaching. When I went to Millersville Bible Church in Pennsylvania, that was the case. And those were the best sermons I ever heard. So Mr. Enyart is wrong to lump all Christian churches into this “Nicer than God” category, because it’s simply not true. That’s rebuttal number one.

Bob Enyart states that the church today is less offensive, rude, and sarcastic than God’s men in the Bible were and that no Christian would ever be caught dead mocking the wicked. Rebuttal number two comes in the fact that Lighthouse, who I believe to be a Christian, has no problem mocking the wicked. That literally makes Bob’s assertion of “No Christian would be caught dead…” false.

But seriously, why is it necessary for us to be rude, offensive, and sarcastic to unbelievers? The gospel is offensive not because of the manner in which people deliver it, but by its content. Unbelievers find it offensive because it forces them to give up their power over their lives. It forces them to give up the sin they love. And also, the Bible says unbelievers are blind to the truth, and God sometimes hardens their hearts, like the Pharaoh in Exodus. The nicest, kindest person can deliver the gospel and offend someone with it. Example: I’ve been accused on this board of being far too nice. I’ve delivered the gospel to people, and lived it for people to see, and I can only think of two people that I can directly see accepted Christ as a result of my witness. Just two! Most others were offended. Was it because I was rude to them? No. They were offended by the message, not the manner of delivery. So when Bob says Jesus was offensive and most people were offended by Him, I believe it’s because of His message and not Him. He was a kind man, a healer, one who invited the children to come to Him. Parents don’t let their children come to someone they know to be rude and offensive. Jesus was harsh at times, yes, but that was to the Pharisees. Calling them blind leaders of the blind is not rude; it was a simple statement of the truth. And the truth can offend sometimes. He said “leave them alone, they are blind.” Straight out of the Bible. But how do Enyartians put this teaching into practice? They gang up on people who disagree with Enyart’s teaching, insult them, call them names, act rude to them, EVEN IF THEY ARE CHRISTIANS! Their own teaching shows Jesus addressing UNBELIEVERS but Enyartians treat FELLOW BROTHERS IN CHRIST this way! This is inconsistent with what they are preaching, and thus they are mis-applying their own beloved teaching. They think they need to be rude and offensive to their own BRETHREN! This is not a good witness. So my rebuttal number three is that this teaching is being used by Enyart followers to rebuke fellow Christians; a gross misinterpretation of the teaching. If the followers fail to apply the teaching the way it was intended, perhaps the teacher failed to teach correctly???? Food for thought….

Now I agree that many other Christian radio programs are too nice and lovey dovey and gushy. What we need is a medium, a preacher like mine from Millersville Bible Church (you can get the sermons online) who will tell you like it is, but not be rude for the sake of being rude.

Bob Enyart cites a few OT examples of mocking. They were all used toward unbelievers, backing up my rebuttal number three. Why are you using this against fellow brothers?

Yes, there are a few examples of mocking, but there are far more examples of love, self-sacrifice, and straightforward telling of the truth. The bottom line is that rudeness is not just word choice, but the tone of delivery, and that cannot be conveyed in printed text. Thus, we don’t always know if the speaker had a rude tone or not. We can’t prove Jesus was being rude or not just by reading words on a page. And you attract more bees with honey than vinegar. Jesus’ harshest words was for the Pharisees. God mocked the wicked, the unbelievers, not those who are saved.

Mr. Enyart tells us time and time again that sometimes harsh words are needed. Yes, I agree, but SOMETIMES! Not all the time, and not just for the sake of using harsh words. Experience here has showed us that Enyartites are rude and harsh more than not, and they clearly enjoy it. This is not how a Christian should act. Gentiles are called dogs or swine. Again, unsaved people. And it says God hates wicked, bloodthirsty deceitful men….again unbelievers. Not how we are to treat believers who disagree with us on a minor point of doctrine. This “Nicer than God” stuff is being used as a license to mock and demean brothers and sisters in Christ and it’s wrong. There are nuggets of truth in the article by Bob Enyart, but they apply to the watered down liberal churches, not the Christian church as a whole as he asserts.

I bring up this example of a misuse of this teaching to show its fallacy, not to resurrect an issue that I consider to be water over the dam. I was posting on this board, minding my own business, just being cool with people as I always would, making friends, when out of nowhere somebody uses this article to say that I was “Nicer than God” and kissing up to anyone that would pay attention to me. Yes, followers of this doctrine think that anyone who is simply being a polite individual is violating Scripture. Being nice to people is kissing up? I was treating fellow Christians with respect. Now if I was attacked for that, then this person thinks that I needed to treat those people rudely in order to be in line with Bob’s teaching. That means I would have to be rude to fellow believers, when in fact the teaching tells us we are to be rude to unbelievers. Therefore the whole argument unravels because it’s not even consistent with itself. This shows a failure of the teacher to get his students to correctly apply the teaching.

Nicer than God is fundamentally antiscriptural, and it’s wrong. This isn’t to say everything Enyart teaches is wrong, but this article is a twisting of Scriptures, and it attacks Christian fundamentals at the core. I urge everyone who’s read this article and follows it to reevaluate it, and think of how we are to treat brothers in Christ.

That’s all I have to say about that. I hope to make people think at the very least. Jesus taught us how to love, and that is clearly one of His most important teachings. That doesn't mean we can't rebuke, but we are to rebuke brothers in love, gently at first. And while God mocked at times, he mocked out of extreme frustration after persistant sin and wickedness. We aren't to mock unbelievers in an attempt to get them to accept Christ. Would you accept Christ if Christians constantly mocked you? And if they refuse to accept still, leave them alone, as Jesus said, and as Enyart himself said. Lighthouse says he mocks because there's nothing left to do. That is wrong. Leave them alone. And follow the golden rule, treat others as you would want to be treated; that's Jesus teaching as well. And that is fundamentally in conflict with the Nicer than God teaching as well, giving us rebuttal number four.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
The Edge said:
I write this to present my case against this writing of Bob Enyart. I think it is unscriptural and does not correctly teach us how to deal with people, and how it is causing needless division among believers. I don’t present this to “whine” as some will surely say, but to try to make people think about what they are doing to other people. I’ll show that the gospel is one of love, not rudeness for the sake of rudeness. And we can love and be harsh at the same time, but one must be careful doing it.
I don't think you're whining here. I think you're wrong, but you're not whining.

I think this article Mr. Enyart wrote is partially correct. He asserts that Christian churches today are too polite and nice. I agree that is true, but only in some Christian churches, mainly liberal ones. Those are the churches that water down the gospel and make it more friendly and easier to take. They make church a warm cuddly place where everyone is welcome.
Okay.

But that is not true of all Christian churches. Many good Bible believing churches are not afraid to preach the true gospel, the gospel that is offensive to unbelievers. They use an in your face style of preaching. When I went to Millersville Bible Church in Pennsylvania, that was the case. And those were the best sermons I ever heard. So Mr. Enyart is wrong to lump all Christian churches into this “Nicer than God” category, because it’s simply not true. That’s rebuttal number one. [/quote]
Do you really think he menat 'all' Christian churches? He is a pastor of one, after all. And I doubt he thinks his church falls into that category.

Bob Enyart states that the church today is less offensive, rude, and sarcastic than God’s men in the Bible were and that no Christian would ever be caught dead mocking the wicked. Rebuttal number two comes in the fact that Lighthouse, who I believe to be a Christian, has no problem mocking the wicked. That literally makes Bob’s assertion of “No Christian would be caught dead…” false.
He obviously did not mean all Christians. He is a Christian, right? And he does it as well. So...

But seriously, why is it necessary for us to be rude, offensive, and sarcastic to unbelievers? The gospel is offensive not because of the manner in which people deliver it, but by its content. Unbelievers find it offensive because it forces them to give up their power over their lives. It forces them to give up the sin they love. And also, the Bible says unbelievers are blind to the truth, and God sometimes hardens their hearts, like the Pharaoh in Exodus. The nicest, kindest person can deliver the gospel and offend someone with it. Example: I’ve been accused on this board of being far too nice. I’ve delivered the gospel to people, and lived it for people to see, and I can only think of two people that I can directly see accepted Christ as a result of my witness. Just two! Most others were offended. Was it because I was rude to them? No. They were offended by the message, not the manner of delivery. So when Bob says Jesus was offensive and most people were offended by Him, I believe it’s because of His message and not Him. He was a kind man, a healer, one who invited the children to come to Him. Parents don’t let their children come to someone they know to be rude and offensive. Jesus was harsh at times, yes, but that was to the Pharisees. Calling them blind leaders of the blind is not rude; it was a simple statement of the truth. And the truth can offend sometimes. He said “leave them alone, they are blind.” Straight out of the Bible. But how do Enyartians put this teaching into practice? They gang up on people who disagree with Enyart’s teaching, insult them, call them names, act rude to them, EVEN IF THEY ARE CHRISTIANS! Their own teaching shows Jesus addressing UNBELIEVERS but Enyartians treat FELLOW BROTHERS IN CHRIST this way! This is inconsistent with what they are preaching, and thus they are mis-applying their own beloved teaching. They think they need to be rude and offensive to their own BRETHREN! This is not a good witness. So my rebuttal number three is that this teaching is being used by Enyart followers to rebuke fellow Christians; a gross misinterpretation of the teaching. If the followers fail to apply the teaching the way it was intended, perhaps the teacher failed to teach correctly???? Food for thought….
"Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wiserebuke they neighbor, and not suffer sin upon him."
-Leviticus 19:17

To rebuke the unsaved, and not rebuke Christians for their sins would be hypocritical.

Now I agree that many other Christian radio programs are too nice and lovey dovey and gushy. What we need is a medium, a preacher like mine from Millersville Bible Church (you can get the sermons online) who will tell you like it is, but not be rude for the sake of being rude.
HAve you ever listened to Bob's show? Or seen any of the old television episodes?

Bob Enyart cites a few OT examples of mocking. They were all used toward unbelievers, backing up my rebuttal number three. Why are you using this against fellow brothers?
Leviticus 19:17

Yes, there are a few examples of mocking, but there are far more examples of love, self-sacrifice, and straightforward telling of the truth. The bottom line is that rudeness is not just word choice, but the tone of delivery, and that cannot be conveyed in printed text. Thus, we don’t always know if the speaker had a rude tone or not. We can’t prove Jesus was being rude or not just by reading words on a page. And you attract more bees with honey than vinegar. Jesus’ harshest words was for the Pharisees. God mocked the wicked, the unbelievers, not those who are saved.
Are you saying the Pharisees were "unsaved?" They thought they were righteous, didn't they? And can you really say Jesus was not being rude to them?

Mr. Enyart tells us time and time again that sometimes harsh words are needed. Yes, I agree, but SOMETIMES! Not all the time, and not just for the sake of using harsh words. Experience here has showed us that Enyartites are rude and harsh more than not, and they clearly enjoy it. This is not how a Christian should act. Gentiles are called dogs or swine. Again, unsaved people. And it says God hates wicked, bloodthirsty deceitful men….again unbelievers. Not how we are to treat believers who disagree with us on a minor point of doctrine. This “Nicer than God” stuff is being used as a license to mock and demean brothers and sisters in Christ and it’s wrong. There are nuggets of truth in the article by Bob Enyart, but they apply to the watered down liberal churches, not the Christian church as a whole as he asserts.
I don't always use harsh words.:nono: And I never do it for the sake of being rude. I do it when it is necessary.

And you are lying when you say that Enyart aserts that it is "all churches." You should apologize.

I bring up this example of a misuse of this teaching to show its fallacy, not to resurrect an issue that I consider to be water over the dam. I was posting on this board, minding my own business, just being cool with people as I always would, making friends, when out of nowhere somebody uses this article to say that I was “Nicer than God” and kissing up to anyone that would pay attention to me. Yes, followers of this doctrine think that anyone who is simply being a polite individual is violating Scripture. Being nice to people is kissing up? I was treating fellow Christians with respect. Now if I was attacked for that, then this person thinks that I needed to treat those people rudely in order to be in line with Bob’s teaching. That means I would have to be rude to fellow believers, when in fact the teaching tells us we are to be rude to unbelievers. Therefore the whole argument unravels because it’s not even consistent with itself. This shows a failure of the teacher to get his students to correctly apply the teaching.
You're wrong.

Nicer than God is fundamentally antiscriptural, and it’s wrong. This isn’t to say everything Enyart teaches is wrong, but this article is a twisting of Scriptures, and it attacks Christian fundamentals at the core. I urge everyone who’s read this article and follows it to reevaluate it, and think of how we are to treat brothers in Christ.
You might want to reevaluate it, and look into Scripture. You are missing some things.

That’s all I have to say about that. I hope to make people think at the very least. Jesus taught us how to love, and that is clearly one of His most important teachings. That doesn't mean we can't rebuke, but we are to rebuke brothers in love, gently at first. And while God mocked at times, he mocked out of extreme frustration after persistant sin and wickedness. We aren't to mock unbelievers in an attempt to get them to accept Christ. Would you accept Christ if Christians constantly mocked you? And if they refuse to accept still, leave them alone, as Jesus said, and as Enyart himself said. Lighthouse says he mocks because there's nothing left to do. That is wrong. Leave them alone. And follow the golden rule, treat others as you would want to be treated; that's Jesus teaching as well. And that is fundamentally in conflict with the Nicer than God teaching as well, giving us rebuttal number four.
Mocking is a last resort. If it does not work, then I leave them alone. But it is hard to do when people keep talking to me. I have put some people on ignore because I was not getting through to them. I took one of them off so I could keep up with a conversation they were having with someone else, but I should put them back. However, they respond to me, at times. And ask me questions. I'm torn as to what I should do.

taoist

Oddly enough, I mentioned the "Nicer than God" theology of Pastor Bob Talkshow to Pastor Bob taoist-brudder. He agreed, in a sense, "I'm pretty sure I'll never be nicer than God." Ya see, it doesn't take any work for humans to fall short of being "nicer than God." The idea that Bob Talkshow has to struggle to keep himself sufficiently nasty in the furtherance of his religious calling is, well, umm ... there ya go.

Nah, when a given explanation is absurd, there's usually a reason. Pastor Bob is naturally unpleasant, you can ask his ex-wives, and as has been said, man is much more often the rationalizing animal than the rational one. So Pastor Bob develops a theology directed not merely at justifying his gall, but canonizing it. Like that's never been done before. It was called hubris by the Greeks, as an ornithophage wishing to become an ornithologist ... when we all know the cat's gonna go after the bird regardless.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
taoist said:
Oddly enough, I mentioned the "Nicer than God" theology of Pastor Bob Talkshow to Pastor Bob taoist-brudder. He agreed, in a sense, "I'm pretty sure I'll never be nicer than God." Ya see, it doesn't take any work for humans to fall short of being "nicer than God." The idea that Bob Talkshow has to struggle to keep himself sufficiently nasty in the furtherance of his religious calling is, well, umm ... there ya go.
You obviously missed his point. Bob's Nicer Than God article begins:
Christians today are nicer than God.

Or at least they are trying to be so. In the Church there is a standard of niceness that Jesus failed to reach while on earth. Comparing God's attitude and behavior with that of the Church today shows that believers are far more polite, tolerant, understanding and respectful to the wicked than God is.​

Nah, when a given explanation is absurd, there's usually a reason. Pastor Bob is naturally unpleasant...
:ha:

Do you have anything to contribute other than ad hominem arguments?

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Christians today are nicer than God.

Or at least they are trying to be so.
It is, of course, a play on words! Thinking mans logic is better than God's.Get it?

Rimi

Are there times to be harsh and mocking with unbelievers. Yes. Primarily those who've been told the truth and warp the word of God. I won't name names unless asked.

Are there times to be harsh and mocking with Christians. Certainly. Especially those who mix Christianity with new agey crap or who, while knowing the words of God, do not know what God is saying in context.

Do Christians go too far and overreact on this website. Unfortunately. I've experience some harshness for no other reason than I've disagree with "the wrong person" or someone's just a little too quick to assume an attack.

Look, we're not going to get it right each and every time. We're not perfect and we all leave a lot to be desired. But the basic premise is correct, that by and large Christians are too tolerant and loving to the point of being disgusting and sickening and ineffective. And apathetic. Don't forget apathetic. I can say with certainty that, had it been based on what I'd seen of most of the Christians I've seen/met out there, I wouldn't be a child of God today. Sad to admit, but it's true.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Mr. 5020 said:
Good reps for taoist.
For what?

Seriously. I am curious as to what you think taoist said that was clever, accurate or reasonable?

When all you have is an dull axe you end up spending all day grinding it.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The Edge said:
So Mr. Enyart is wrong to lump all Christian churches into this “Nicer than God” category, because it’s simply not true. That’s rebuttal number one.
Bob does not lump ALL Christian churches into the "nicer than God" category therefore your rebuttal number one is built on a false premise. Bob generalizes that Christians today are nicer than God, only those that are woodenly literal would assume that means that ALL Christians are nicer than God.

Again,,, you are being overly literal and therefore building a straw man argument that isn't an argument against Bob's actual point which clearly you have missed.

But seriously, why is it necessary for us to be rude, offensive, and sarcastic to unbelievers?
It is only necessary to mock the wicked in certain circumstances. When God hating liberals worship human waste SOMETIMES the best response is a sarcastic, mocking retort. I have never heard Bob or anyone else claim that THE ONLY WAY to respond in all circumstances is to be sarcastic and mocking.

Therefore your rebuttal number two is also built on a false premise.

So my rebuttal number three is that this teaching is being used by Enyart followers to rebuke fellow Christians; a gross misinterpretation of the teaching. If the followers fail to apply the teaching the way it was intended, perhaps the teacher failed to teach correctly????
This one answers itself doesn't it?

If followers of Enyart are misrepresenting his teachings then it would be those followers who are in error and not Enyart for the teaching.

Again this is an embarrassing misrepresentation of Bob's teaching. Please show me where Bob Enyart claims we should "be rude for the sake of being rude" and if you cannot produce such evidence I demand you retract your slander.

Mr. Enyart tells us time and time again that sometimes harsh words are needed. Yes, I agree, but SOMETIMES! Not all the time, and not just for the sake of using harsh words.
Please prove your claim that Bob Enyart teaches that we must be harsh ALL THE TIME or that we should be harsh just for the sake of being harsh.

The truth is you cannot produce such evidence because it isn't there.

You have beared false witness against Bob Enyart.

Are you prepared to apologize?

Granite

Hall of Fame
I think Edge's point was that sometimes TOLers can go overboard.

Is it not written: zeal for your house has consumed me?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
granite1010 said:
I think Edge's point was that sometimes TOLers can go overboard.

Is it not written: zeal for your house has consumed me?
Uh... I don't think so.

The Edge opened his post with....
I write this to present my case against this writing of Bob Enyart.
And his posts was titled...
a case against Enyart's "Nicer than God"

Granite

Hall of Fame
I think the real gist of it was in this paragraph:

"Mr. Enyart tells us time and time again that sometimes harsh words are needed. Yes, I agree, but SOMETIMES! Not all the time, and not just for the sake of using harsh words. Experience here has showed us that Enyartites are rude and harsh more than not, and they clearly enjoy it. This is not how a Christian should act. Gentiles are called dogs or swine. Again, unsaved people. And it says God hates wicked, bloodthirsty deceitful men….again unbelievers. Not how we are to treat believers who disagree with us on a minor point of doctrine. This 'Nicer than God' stuff is being used as a license to mock and demean brothers and sisters in Christ and it’s wrong. There are nuggets of truth in the article by Bob Enyart, but they apply to the watered down liberal churches, not the Christian church as a whole as he asserts."

Whether you agree with the sentiment or not he was targetting an idea of Enyart's that some here take and run. Sometimes into the ground.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
granite1010 said:
I think the real gist of it was in this paragraph:

"Mr. Enyart tells us time and time again that sometimes harsh words are needed. Yes, I agree, but SOMETIMES! Not all the time, and not just for the sake of using harsh words. Experience here has showed us that Enyartites are rude and harsh more than not, and they clearly enjoy it. This is not how a Christian should act. Gentiles are called dogs or swine. Again, unsaved people. And it says God hates wicked, bloodthirsty deceitful men….again unbelievers. Not how we are to treat believers who disagree with us on a minor point of doctrine. This 'Nicer than God' stuff is being used as a license to mock and demean brothers and sisters in Christ and it’s wrong. There are nuggets of truth in the article by Bob Enyart, but they apply to the watered down liberal churches, not the Christian church as a whole as he asserts."

Whether you agree with the sentiment or not he was targetting an idea of Enyart's that some here take and run. Sometimes into the ground.
Its very likely that paragraph is the most careless and lazy paragraph in the entire post.

Edge states...
Mr. Enyart tells us time and time again that sometimes harsh words are needed. Yes, I agree
Yet then in the very next sentence states....
but SOMETIMES! Not all the time
Edge is accusing Bob of something that even the Edge acknowledges Bob didn't say.

beanieboy

I find the article kind of fascinating.

It's relatively easy to insult people, to mock people, or to call names. Children do it. The jerk at your work does it. Drunk people do it.

So, it's like that, only under the cloak of christianity. In another thread like this, someone held unbelievers to the law of the bible, while thinking that those who believe it didn't have to live under it, and not held to the same standard. In other words, if you are christian, you can do whatever you want, but if you aren't, you must live up to a higher standard.

Jesus was Nicer than God sometimes.

He didn't mock Zaccheus. He didn't call Zaccheus names. He asked him to dine with him, something the haughty self-religious Pharisees would never do, and that is what offended them - that he would suggest that someone lowly may have a better heart than those who are esteemed, such as the leaders of the Temple.

Jesus was gentle plenty of times.

But most non-believers don't think of Christians as being too tolerant, or too nice. They think of them as being self-righteous. The think of them as condemning of others and forgiving of themselves. They don't think of them as being overly giving to the poor, but condemning of the poor. They have formed stereotypes based on people like Pat Robertson, and Jerry Falwell, and a number of people who only preach condemnation, and rarely compassion.

Jesus healed the leapers - the outcasts of society.
Jesus talked to the woman at the well, who had been married several times. The fact that he spoke to a woman at all at that time means a lot, but was not simply honest and calm with her.
People weren't drawn to Jesus because of his nasty language, and shock jock appeal.

So, maybe he was nicer than God as well.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
beanieboy said:
I find the article kind of fascinating.

It's relatively easy to insult people, to mock people, or to call names. Children do it. The jerk at your work does it. Drunk people do it.

So, it's like that, only under the cloak of christianity. In another thread like this, someone held unbelievers to the law of the bible, while thinking that those who believe it didn't have to live under it, and not held to the same standard. In other words, if you are christian, you can do whatever you want, but if you aren't, you must live up to a higher standard.

Jesus was Nicer than God sometimes.

He didn't mock Zaccheus. He didn't call Zaccheus names. He asked him to dine with him, something the haughty self-religious Pharisees would never do, and that is what offended them - that he would suggest that someone lowly may have a better heart than those who are esteemed, such as the leaders of the Temple.

Jesus was gentle plenty of times.

But most non-believers don't think of Christians as being too tolerant, or too nice. They think of them as being self-righteous. The think of them as condemning of others and forgiving of themselves. They don't think of them as being overly giving to the poor, but condemning of the poor. They have formed stereotypes based on people like Pat Robertson, and Jerry Falwell, and a number of people who only preach condemnation, and rarely compassion.

Jesus healed the leapers - the outcasts of society.
Jesus talked to the woman at the well, who had been married several times. The fact that he spoke to a woman at all at that time means a lot, but was not simply honest and calm with her.
People weren't drawn to Jesus because of his nasty language, and shock jock appeal.

So, maybe he was nicer than God as well.

How did Christ respond to those who claimed, as you do, that they were in no need of Him and refused to repent?

beanieboy

Poly said:
How did Christ respond to those who claimed, as you do, that they were in no need of Christ and refused to repent?

Luke 9
52and He sent messengers on ahead of Him, and they went and entered a village of the Samaritans to make arrangements for Him. 53But they did not receive Him, because He was traveling toward Jerusalem. 54When His disciples James and John saw this, they said, "Lord, do You want us to command fire to come down from heaven and consume them?"
55But He turned and rebuked them, [and said, "You do not know what kind of spirit you are of; 56for the Son of Man did not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them." And they went on to another village.

That was one way that he responded - he simply moved on.
Aparently, he didn't come to condemn people, or destroy them, but to save them.

And when his disciples suggested otherwise, he TruthSmacked his own followers. Yep - rebuked his own followers. "You do not know what kind of spirit you are of..." The very people that were following him he was suggesting were not following him in their wrath, but that of Satan.

Sometimes, Jesus healed people, spoke to them, ate with them, and gave what he had. There are reasons people flocked to Jesus. He showed them hope. He didn't brow beat them into submission. He said, "follow me." They did, or they didn't.

Last edited:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
beanieboy said:
Luke 9
52and He sent messengers on ahead of Him, and they went and entered a village of the Samaritans to make arrangements for Him. 53But they did not receive Him, because He was traveling toward Jerusalem. 54When His disciples James and John saw this, they said, "Lord, do You want us to command fire to come down from heaven and consume them?"
55But He turned and rebuked them, [and said, "You do not know what kind of spirit you are of; 56for the Son of Man did not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them." And they went on to another village.

That was one way that he responded - he simply moved on.
Well, if He came to save them why didn't He stop for a visit? Why did He refuse to have anyting to do with them? His disciples wanted Jesus to destroy them now. Jesus wasn't about destroying people now but as you said He was here to save men. But those who were too stupid to be saved by Him, He didn't come to condemn because those that do not accept Him are condemned already.

John 3:17-18
17For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. 18"He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Beanie, you think you don't need Jesus. Jesus did not put up with those who thought they did not need Him.

Matthew 15:12-14
12Then His disciples came and said to Him, "Do You know that the Pharisees were offended when they heard this saying?" 13But He answered and said, "Every plant which My heavenly Father has not planted will be uprooted. 14Let them alone. They are blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind leads the blind, both will fall into a ditch."

And before you go into your typical song and dance about how these are Pharisees, so what? Why was he so harsh with the Pharisees? Because they thought they didn't need him just like you claim that you don't need Him. You are arrogant just as they were, claiming that you can get to God by a way other than Christ. You, beanie, stand condemned already before God because you have the audacity to tell Him you don't need to accept His Son and repent before Him.

Crow

Christ told us that He is the one way. The only way.

He told his disciples that if they come to a town where people do not want to hear the message, shake the dust off their sandals, and move along.

In effect, to hell with the willfully ignorant.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Crow said:
Christ told us that He is the one way. The only way.

He told his disciples that if they come to a town where people do not want to hear the message, shake the dust off their sandals, and move along.

In effect, to hell with the willfully ignorant.

So bascially what you're saying is we need to be Christlike and quit wasting responses on those that don't deserve it, like beanieboy.

I agree.

To hell with him! :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.