2016 Oscars: Winners, Losers and Controversy

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Did you see Creed? I have to admit the subjects this year just aren't drawing me to the theater. I'm much more likely to see most of these on the big screen tv this year.

No, haven't seen Creed.

And while I'll be interested to see what and who wins the Oscars, I don't have any faith (or interest) in the system.

A little off-topic, two of the movies I've really enjoyed and been impressed with are Wild Tales and Tangerine. Wild Tales was an Argentinean nominee for best foreign film, and for me, an utterly unique trip and a half. Tangerine was, well, amazing on a lot of levels for me, this article explains why, things I felt intuitively without even knowing as much of the backstory as the article gives. Authentic and gritty and human - and heart.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
No, haven't seen Creed.
Well, who's perfect? :)

And while I'll be interested to see what and who wins the Oscars, I don't have any faith (or interest) in the system.
It's mostly a fun way to commemorate some of the better films in a year.

Some years it's a dart throw, like 1939, with Gone With the Wind, The Wizard of Oz, Of Mice and Men, Stage Coach, Wuthering Heights, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Dark Victory

A little off-topic, two of the movies I've really enjoyed and been impressed with are Wild Tales and Tangerine. Wild Tales was an Argentinean nominee for best foreign film, and for me, an utterly unique trip and a half. Tangerine was, well, amazing on a lot of levels for me, this article explains why, things I felt intuitively without even knowing as much of the backstory as the article gives. Authentic and gritty and human - and heart.
Thanks for the heads up. :thumb:

zoo22

The 2016 Oscar nominees:

TOL_oscars2016.png

Foxfire

I don't see the reason for all the Oscar hub bub. :plain:

Hollywood has a rich history of tribute to African themes.(sic)

Don't forget, Hatari was nominated for an Oscar in 1962. ( :rotfl: )

Out of Africa received 7 nominations as well! :think:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/vid...ep-addresses-diversity-row-all-africans-video

Ich bin ein Berliner Afrikaner!

*Anyone have any jelly donuts? :chew:

Bogy....won "Best Actor in a leading role", Hepburn nominated "Best Actress in a Leading Role"! "The African Queen" 1951.

I mean....really? ;)

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Because 99% of the things happening in the world have nothing at all to do with Obama. And I'm sick to death of you idiots ruining every single thread on TOL with your Obama-hating nonsense.

Take solace that on Jan. 20, 2017 you won't have to hear anyone hating on the idiot anymore because thankfully he will finally get the boot.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Bogy....won "Best Actor in a leading role", Hepburn nominated "Best Actress in a Leading Role"! "The African Queen" 1951.

I mean....really? ;)
And then there's Jolson. :plain: I guess Hollywood has been right there from the birth of a national pastime. So to speak.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
2016 Oscars: Winners, Losers and Controversy

Either a movie is good or its not, no matter whose in it, what does diversity have to do with it?

Should we just start handing out participation oscars, too?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Either a movie is good or its not, no matter whose in it, what does diversity have to do with it?
It's a polite way of speaking to the exclusion of work and performances crafted by or about black people overlooked in favor of inferior work. I think it's used because no one really thinks the motivation is racist. It's more about the composition of the voting body and its interests and how those can slant the whole shooting match.

Should we just start handing out participation oscars, too?
Again, Creed was more highly regarded by every major critical metric than a number of the films nominated for an Oscar for best picture. It wasn't a matter of a few points difference between it and the least noted.

The Revenant 83%
The Big Short 88%
Bridge of Spies 91%
The Martian 92%
[Creed 94%]
Room 96%
Spotlight 96%
Fury Road 97%
Brooklyn 98%

PureX

Take solace that on Jan. 20, 2017 you won't have to hear anyone hating on the idiot anymore because thankfully he will finally get the boot.
Oh, then you'll be ruining every thread with your constant Hillary hate. :devil:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Untrue, Creed, by way of example, received better critical notice than many of the films actually nominated.

but that's not how the oscars are awarded, is it?
How many times have popular, critically praised films failed to garner a nomination against weaker opponents? Sometimes critical and popular films lose out in close competition (especially true prior to the expansion of the field).