2016 Oscars: Winners, Losers and Controversy

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
While you take the nod for animated short. :plain:

Back to flicks up for academy awards: I haven't been following the thread other than commenting on your OP how liberals are whiiiiiining that there isn't enough culture diversity within the nomination/award decision making process. To my knowledge, sequels to Brokeback Mountain, The Cryyyyying Game or Transamerica haven't been done, so what movies/actors/directors, etc. are you hoping to win this time around?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I thought there were a number of entertaining films this last year, but I wouldn't say I saw a great film among them. It's been a while since I could. A thin year for great.

Well, I was talking about animated shorts, did you get a chance to see them?

As for nominations for best film, I thought The Big Short was excellent and I'd like to go back and see it again. Without much knowledge of how the bond system works, I had to work to follow all that was happening, but I like it when I have to work at it a little. It's a lot more likely I'll want to see it again.

Arthur Brain

Back to flicks up for academy awards: I haven't been following the thread other than commenting on your OP how liberals are whiiiiiining that there isn't enough culture diversity within the nomination/award decision making process. To my knowledge, sequels to Brokeback Mountain, The Cryyyyying Game or Transamerica haven't been done, so what movies/actors/directors, etc. are you hoping to win this time around?

Wow, aCW brings up 'Brokeback Mountain' once again. Anyone not knowing better would think you had an obsession with it...

:rolleyes:

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Wow, aCW brings up 'Brokeback Mountain' once again. Anyone not knowing better would think you had an obsession with it...

:rolleyes:

Movies like Brokeback Mountain, The Cryyyyyyying Game and Transamerica get nominated and frequently win academy awards Arthurrrrr. You're acting as if you're ashamed of homosexual/transsexual 'culture' and the fact that Hollyweird is giving it long overdue recognition.

Transamerica

Arthur Brain

Movies like Brokeback Mountain, The Cryyyyyyying Game and Transamerica get nominated and frequently win academy awards Arthurrrrr. You're acting as if you're ashamed of homosexual/transsexual 'culture' and the fact that Hollyweird is giving it long overdue recognition.

The Crying Game is years ago Connie, and it was hardly simply about homosexuality or transgender etc. You OTOH constantly refer to anything related along with your bonkers pictures you're so fond of posting. Straight guys just don't do that...

Seriously, they don't...

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
The Crying Game is years ago Connie, and it was hardly simply about homosexuality or transgender etc. You OTOH constantly refer to anything related along with your bonkers pictures you're so fond of posting. Straight guys just don't do that...

Seriously, they don't...

I find your homophobia abthuuuuulutely disgusting Arthurrrr! In fact, I find it so disgusting that I'm going to report you to the Czar of TOL Homophobia: my widdle friend zoo22.

Study: Homophobes Might Be Hidden Homosexuals
http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4600283&postcount=1

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Well, I was talking about animated shorts, did you get a chance to see them?
You just can't use the terms animated and shorts around aCW if you don't want to sidebar this thread to pieces.

:plain:

Haven't seen them. They're usually among my favorites around Oscar time.

As for nominations for best film, I thought The Big Short was excellent and I'd like to go back and see it again. Without much knowledge of how the bond system works, I had to work to follow all that was happening, but I like it when I have to work at it a little. It's a lot more likely I'll want to see it again.
Did you see Creed? I have to admit the subjects this year just aren't drawing me to the theater. I'm much more likely to see most of these on the big screen tv this year.

aCW, you have your homosexual thread. This isn't it. Unless you want a lot of movie reviews there I suggest you either tackle the subject of this year's nominations for the Oscar or head on back there.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
aCW, you have your homosexual thread. This isn't it. Unless you want a lot of movie reviews there I suggest you either tackle the subject or head on back.

I'm talking about movies that have been nominated and received academy awards, so I am a far cry from derailing your thread.

If you would like to talk about LGBTQ movies in my thread, being that it is Oscar time, I would be honored if you would represent the LGBTQ movement over there.

That being said: I'm going to leave this thread, but make it known that I WILL report you to the American Civil Liberties Union, the Human Rights Campaign, and write a letter to the editor to the homosexual publication The Advocate expressing my disgust about homophobia in what I thought was a progressive thread!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I'm talking about movies that have been nominated and received academy awards, so I am a far cry from derailing your thread.
No, the topic is this year's movies, not your attempt to turn it into another thread about gays by going back to previous years and threading it into your singular narrative.

Else, thank you for your cooperation.

Arthur Brain

I find your homophobia abthuuuuulutely disgusting Arthurrrr! In fact, I find it so disgusting that I'm going to report you to the Czar of TOL Homophobia: my widdle friend zoo22.

Study: Homophobes Might Be Hidden Homosexuals
http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4600283&postcount=1

Ya know, if you're gonna do a really lame written lisp with the word 'absolutely' then you should have gone the whole hog and done it with "dithguthhhhhhting" as well.

You schmuck...

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
No, the topic is this year's movies, not your attempt to turn it into another thread about gays by going back to previous years and threading it into your singular narrative.

Else, thank you for your cooperation.

You'll note that my first post showed me responding to your OP (which talked about amongst other things Selma being snubbed last year)

Last year's snubbing of Selma and its lead..

I then provided proof that there has been more than ample racial diversity for you color blind liberals when it comes to Hollywood, including the Academy Awards.

After the drama queen derailed your thread by interposing his personal distaste for me because I'm the author of a hugely successful 4 part thread on the recriminalization of homosexuality, I then showed that Hollywood is not only racially diverse when it comes to movies and awards, but diverse when it comes to sexual perversion.

So don't be mad at me TH, I was sticking to the subject of the thread the entire time, showing racial and perverse diversity in Hollywood over the past few years.

Arthur Brain

You'll note that my first post showed me responding to your OP (which talked about amongst other things Selma being snubbed last year)

I then provided proof that there has been more than ample racial diversity for you liberals when it comes to Hollywood, including the Academy Awards.

After the drama queen derailed your thread by interposing his personal distaste for me because I'm the author of a hugely successful 4 part thread on the recriminalization of homosexuality, I then showed that Hollywood is not only racially diverse when it comes to movies and awards, but diverse when it comes to perversion.

So don't be mad at me TH, I was sticking to the subject of the thread the entire time, showing racial and perverse diversity in Hollywood over the past few years.

Eh, if your thread was that "successful" then your aim would have been reached by now, not that you have much of an aim but still...

You daft little crank.

Anyway, back to films...

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You'll note I didn't comment about a derail for a bit. And the Selma bit set the table for why this year is bothering so many.

I then provided proof that there has been more than ample racial diversity for you color blind liberals when it comes to Hollywood, including the Academy Awards.
Still not a liberal, but you're wrong. Diversity is objectively lacking and has been for a couple of cycles now. And that's how it's measured. You don't get to be on the A honor roll because you made As three years ago. :plain:

After the drama queen derailed your thread by interposing his personal distaste for me because I'm the author of a hugely successful 4 part thread on the recriminalization of homosexuality, I then showed that Hollywood is not only racially diverse when it comes to movies and awards, but diverse when it comes to sexual perversion.
So you made it about your thread and your agenda. That's what I said.

So don't be mad at me TH
Not mad, just not interested. Stay on topic and you're more than welcome to post away.

,I was sticking to the subject of the thread the entire time,
No, which is why I made my comment. But if you want to talk about this year's films and the fairly indefensible lack of representation given what was out there feel free.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote: Originally posted by aCultureWarrior

Still not a liberal, but you're wrong. Diversity is objectively lacking and has been for a couple of cycles now. And that's how it's measured. You don't get to be on the A honor roll because you made As three years ago.

So you're not a liberal, but it's so very important to you that the academy awards have some "color" to them instead of acknowledging that perhaps the movies nominated were nominated because they were good?

Why must liberals see skin color in everything that they encounter?

http://oscar.go.com/nominees/writing-original-screenplay

BTW, I saw "The Revenant" and besides being extremely intense (the bear attack was realistic beyond words), there was quite a bit of racial diversity in it showing the American Indians not only as "savages", but as victims of greedy white men.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
So you're not a liberal,
No. Not by any objective metric.

but it's so very important to you that the academy awards have some "color" to them
Not if the year doesn't justify it. But as I noted, Creed was more widely regarded than a few of the movies that were nominated instead. That irks me.

instead of acknowledging that perhaps the movies nominated were nominated because they were good?
Rotten Tomatoes rating composite:

The Revenant 83%
The Big Short 88%
Bridge of Spies 91%
The Martian 92%
[Creed 94%]
Room 96%
Spotlight 96%
Fury Road 97%
Brooklyn 98%

That's just one example of a "What?" moment from this year among a handful.

Why must liberals see skin color in everything that they encounter?
It's probably all the black people who were omitted of late despite garnering more critical praise than some of the efforts honored.

BTW, I saw "The Revenant" and besides being extremely intense (the bear attack was realistic beyond words), there was quite a bit of racial diversity in it showing the American Indians not only as "savages", but as victims of greedy white men.
Who said the Revenant was racially problematic? Well, if anyone says it you'll be ready. That's for sure. :thumb: