2016 Oscars: Winners, Losers and Controversy

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
There's a lot of negative buzz about this year's Oscars and the apparent want of diversity in its product for the second year running, despite more than a few performances and a few (fewer) films of note that could have carried that flag. That conversation led to a recent look at the composition of the Oscar voters that had the Academy President scrambling to impact the composition in its wake.

The average Oscar voter is over sixty, white and male. Not exactly the most likely way to see Straight Out of Compton, Beasts of No Nation or even the refocused Rocky films light up the nominations. And no, I'm not jumping on the race wagon by noting that an older skewing, white male demographic isn't the group likely to identify as strongly with or support as readily a younger, more racially and culturally diverse product.

Last year's snubbing of Selma and its lead, among others, started a public conversation on this topic that became heated after similar calls for the above mentioned films and a few actors this year met the same cold Oscar shoulder.

Michael Jordan and Idris Alba gave memorable turns in their highly regarded films. Will Smith gave a strong performance in Concussion and several young leads made waves with Straight Outta Compton. But none of them made the red carpet cut. Why? Maybe it's better to look at it from a competitive perspective. If/then, or, who gets bumped? Is the case less clear when we consider the competition? Let's take best film by way of example. I'll include each film nominated and the Rotten Tomato composite critic score next to it in parenthesis.

Best Film: Brooklyn (98%), Spotlight (97%), Fury Road (97%), Room (96%), The Martian (93%), Bridge of Spies (91%),The Big Short (88%) and The Revenant (82%).

Now let's look at a few omitted films that were in the competitive mix staring people of color.

Creed (94%)
Beasts of No Nation (91%)
Straight Outta Compton (88%)
Concussion (63%)

Okay, Smith's movie wasn't well received and that can kill in a tight year. Fine. Compton was competitive, but not so clearly distinguished from any of the other nominees. Creed, on the other hand, was more highly regarded than four of the films that made the cut. Easily better received than two, as was Beasts. So why didn't either receive a nomination?

I think the Rocky brand suffers from the connection to the cash cow feel of much of the franchise. And maybe Stallone's best performance in years took attention and consideration from the film and young star/protagonist in part. Beasts' Netflix linkage and Idris' villainous turn could be the reason for it and his lack of inclusion here.

What about the comparably weaker films that made the cut? Revenant benefitted from DiCaprio's amazing performance and status as the star of his generation of actors. And its a visually arresting movie with memorable support and terrific cinematography, it's failings as a narrative notwithstanding. Short likely derived a boost from star power in the form of a sum. Too many really good actors involved in an important message to be overlooked.

Then maybe this year wasn't so much a snub as a confluence of events and tastes and bias not predicated on race or age, only influenced by it at the margins. Or, the skew in Academy membership remains and with it has to come a skewing of opportunity as a byproduct of demographic, if not intent, especially in evidence when the choice is a close all things considered nod. A given audience is more comfortable and appreciative of a given product. Older white males have their comfort zones, just like the rest of us and the only way you get a more diverse palate from the Oscars is with a broader palate in the composition of its voters.

When that happens, when the Academy does move younger and diversifies its voting membership, as it will, we will see a shift that rewards films without as much concern for Hollywood conventions and baggage, one that is more representative of the larger and growing audience. Then films like Creed and actors like Jordan will stand more than a puncher's chance at inclusion.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
why don't "diverse" people create their own awards instead of whining about how unfair the oscars are? :idunno:

eta: my bad - looks like we already have the BET awards and the BMA's

betcha there aren't a whole lot of white people who win them things

PureX

do they still make movies for adults?
Adults don't go to the movies, much, anymore. So there's not as much money in making movies for them. The big bucks are in the big "blockbuster" movies and mostly only kids are stupid enough to pay $20 to go see one of those in a theater. The rest of us wait until it comes to Amazon, for $4.

PureX

I can't weigh in on the quality of the nominees, as I haven't seen any of them. But as to the race controversy, I think the claims are both hypocritical and unwarranted. I am sure there is some racial favoritism involved, but not to the degree that it significantly effects who wins or doesn't. I also think there is some racism involved in which movies get produced and which actors play in them, but that, too, is not the fault of the nominees, nor does it lessen their achievements. It's sad to see these mostly unwarranted claims of racism distract from the basic intent of the award process: to recognize outstanding achievements by the folks involved in filmmaking.

If racism is a problem in the industry, and it probably is to some degree, it should be addressed elsewhere, not the awards event.

I think the folks who are upset by this should speak their views, certainly, but then respect the work of their peers by showing up and supporting them at the awards ceremony.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I can't weigh in on the quality of the nominees, as I haven't seen any of them. But as to the race controversy, I think the claims are both hypocritical and unwarranted. I am sure there is some racial favoritism involved, but not to the degree that it significantly effects who wins or doesn't. I also think there is some racism involved in which movies get produced and which actors play in them, but that, too, is not the fault of the awards committee. It's sad to see these mostly unwarranted claims of racism distract from the basic intent of the award process: to recognize outstanding achievements by the folks involved in filmmaking.

If racism is a problem in the industry, and it probably is to some degree, it should be addressed elsewhere.

just think how bad the racism would be
if
obama had not been the president for the past seven years

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
why don't "diverse" people create their own awards instead of whining about how unfair the oscars are? :idunno:

eta: my bad - looks like we already have the BET awards and the BMA's

betcha there aren't a whole lot of white people who win them things

Exactly, we have the WET and they have the BET :devil:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
And I'm sick to death of you idiots ruining every single thread on TOL....

oh my!

aren't we a...

dramaqueen.jpg

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Because 99% of the things happening in the world have nothing at all to do with Obama. And I'm sick to death of you idiots ruining every single thread on TOL with your Obama-hating nonsense.

are you suggesting obama did not improve race relations?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Adults don't go to the movies, much, anymore. So there's not as much money in making movies for them. The big bucks are in the big "blockbuster" movies and mostly only kids are stupid enough to pay $20 to go see one of those in a theater. The rest of us wait until it comes to Amazon, for $4.
That's true for me.

Of all the movies listed in TH's OP .....
Brooklyn (98%), Spotlight (97%), Fury Road (97%), Room (96%), The Martian (93%), Bridge of Spies (91%),The Big Short (88%) and The Revenant (82%).

Creed (94%)
Concussion (63%)​
..... the only one I've watched is Fury Road and Creed.
I liked watching them both, but neither of them did I consider to be Oscar worthy for best picture.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

I do. I like going to the movies. It doesn't cost me 20 dollars, either.

bybee

There's a lot of negative buzz about this year's Oscars and the apparent want of diversity in its product for the second year running, despite more than a few performances and a few (fewer) films of note that could have carried that flag. That conversation led to a recent look at the composition of the Oscar voters that had the Academy President scrambling to impact the composition in its wake.

The average Oscar voter is over sixty, white and male. Not exactly the most likely way to see Straight Out of Compton, Beasts of No Nation or even the refocused Rocky films light up the nominations. And no, I'm not jumping on the race wagon by noting that an older skewing, white male demographic isn't the group likely to identify as strongly with or support as readily a younger, more racially and culturally diverse product.

Last year's snubbing of Selma and its lead, among others, started a public conversation on this topic that became heated after similar calls for the above mentioned films and a few actors this year met the same cold Oscar shoulder.

Michael Jordan and Idris Alba gave memorable turns in their highly regarded films. Will Smith gave a strong performance in Concussion and several young leads made waves with Straight Outta Compton. But none of them made the red carpet cut. Why? Maybe it's better to look at it from a competitive perspective. If/then, or, who gets bumped? Is the case less clear when we consider the competition? Let's take best film by way of example. I'll include each film nominated and the Rotten Tomato composite critic score next to it in parenthesis.

Best Film: Brooklyn (98%), Spotlight (97%), Fury Road (97%), Room (96%), The Martian (93%), Bridge of Spies (91%),The Big Short (88%) and The Revenant (82%).

Now let's look at a few omitted films that were in the competitive mix staring people of color.

Creed (94%)
Concussion (63%)

Okay, Smith's movie wasn't well received and that can kill in a tight year. Fine. Compton was competitive, but not so clearly distinguished from any of the other nominees. Creed, on the other hand, was more highly regarded than four of the films that made the cut. Easily better received than two, as was Beasts. So why didn't either receive a nomination?

I think the Rocky brand suffers from the connection to the cash cow feel of much of the franchise. And maybe Stallone's best performance in years took attention and consideration from the film and young star/protagonist in part. Beasts' Netflix linkage and Idris' villainous turn could be the reason for it and his lack of inclusion here.

What about the comparably weaker films that made the cut? Revenant benefitted from DiCaprio's amazing performance and status as the star of his generation of actors. And its a visually arresting movie with memorable support and terrific cinematography, it's failings as a narrative notwithstanding. Short likely derived a boost from star power in the form of a sum. Too many really good actors involved in an important message to be overlooked.

Then maybe this year wasn't so much a snub as a confluence of events and tastes and bias not predicated on race or age, only influenced by it at the margins. Or, the skew in Academy membership remains and with it has to come a skewing of opportunity as a byproduct of demographic, if not intent, especially in evidence when the choice is a close all things considered nod. A given audience is more comfortable and appreciative of a given product. Older white males have their comfort zones, just like the rest of us and the only way you get a more diverse palate from the Oscars is with a broader palate in the composition of its voters.

When that happens, when the Academy does move younger and diversifies its voting membership, as it will, we will see a shift that rewards films without as much concern for Hollywood conventions and baggage, one that is more representative of the larger and growing audience. Then films like Creed and actors like Jordan will stand more than a puncher's chance at inclusion.

However, only cry babies and poor sports whine when they lose.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame

Creed (94%)
Concussion (63%)

I shall look for these on Blu-ray. The films I may like are Brooklyn, Bridge of Spies , Spotlight and Creed. The reason I think Creed was not nominated, as you have explained, it is another Rocky movie. i liked all the rocky movies, even though they are a bit hooky, they move slow in places; overall, they are entertaining.

The issue, which I do not think focuses in "race", as some presume, is those who vote on the Oscars seem to me to be an arty bunch. They make good choices, for the most part, yet, for me, they often give too much emphasis to nonlinear, arty films, where my greater enjoyment is with the traditional linear narrative.

Regarding Selma, I liked it, but I do not think it is one of the best films. The actor who played King, ( He is from the UK, not African American) in my opinion, did not give me the feeling of King's dynamic; had I never seen King, or heard him speak, then I may have not noticed the difference.

On the other hand, I think "42" was an outstanding movie, and I have watched it several times! Remember "The Grand Budapest Hotel"? I watched that one twice and, for me, it was too arty, while "Life of Pie" was very good.

If they were to elect more African American voters, it would suit fine with me, mainly because I think it would dilute the arty clique a bit. For me, it is not a 'race' issue, more a traditional versus arty taste. This preference for the most arty is entrenched, and regardless of color, any change may be for the better.

Last edited: