NBA 2015-16

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I don't feel the least bit sad for LeBron or Cleveland.

The Cav's fired head coach David Blatt earlier in the season when the Cav's were 30-11 and had the best record in the East. They replaced Blatt with Tyronn Lue.

Apparently LeBron and some of the other Cav's didn't like Blatt's style of coaching.

Well, Tryonn Lue has done a terrible job. Only a Cleveland sports team could fire a coach with the best record in his conference.

The Cleveland Browns fired Bill Belichick.

They also fired Marty Schottenheimer because he "only" took them to 3 AFC Championship Games in 4 years. The Browns haven't come close to another AFC Championship Game since (1989)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Last year they had the parade in Oakland so I guess it'll be Oakland again this year.
You know they're in route to San Fran as a home though, right? The move has been delayed by pending court cases, but that's the plan. Another team abandoning the fan base that saw them through the lean times. :mmph: Not Curry et al.'s fault though. Stinks, but you can't blame the guys on the floor.

And those guys mostly seem like the sort I should like. They aren't a team filled with future hall of famers, to my mind. They're excellent players, who use the team approach better than anyone else at present, even the Spurs, who remain the longest running exemplar of that virtue. And there's Curry, a professed Christian and seemingly decent human being who may lack Jordan's chemistry (who doesn't?) but has a demonstrably better personal approach to go with a demonstrated passion for a game and a skill set he's obviously spent a good bit of his life developing. . .and when Kevin Love was the commodity of the moment GS refused to chase him at the expense of Klay Thompson. They chose to believe in their guy and look at the dividends, comparatively.

Klay - Love

Fg%: .450 - .444
3pt%: .420 - .363
FT%: .853 - .815
Rbs: 3.3 - 11.5
Stls: 2.3 - .7
Asts: 2.3 - 2.4
Pts: 18.3 - 18.4

Now a few of those career averages are misleading, because so far Love is less effective than he was prior, which you might expect given who he's playing with, but Klay has been getting better as the second scoring option. Would Love have been better for the Warriors? Maybe, but you can't fault them for keeping their guy, who is developing close enough to make you feel good about the chance he'll be the better choice, if not right this minute, then in short order. And they have a really good coach who learned how to win a long time ago and obviously knows how to use what he has...

:think: Okay, okay, give me a minute.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Speaking of Love, he should leave Cleveland. He's just not built to be value as a third option. That's not his game. Neither is living more at the perimeter. He needs to be the guy or the second scoring option playing near the basket who can drift out for the three when defenses get loose. That's when he makes sense. That's why Harden didn't make sense in OKC.

The Berean

TH,

As for the Warriors move, they are actually moving back to their original west coast home. They were the San Francisco Warriors from 1962-71. The Oakland fans have been faithful but this move is all about business. San Francisco is far wealthier than Oakland. I'm not saying the move is right or wrong but a large number of Warrior fans do come from SF and Silicon Valley. Also Oracle Arena is old and antiquated.

Sent from my SM-G920V using TheologyOnline mobile app

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
So, while we're all waiting on the seeming inevitable outcome of the GS/Cavs series, I thought I'd address a crazy idea, that the Jordan Bulls dynasty lacked significant competition.

The fact is that the Bulls met really good teams and despite only being taken to 7 twice in their six championship runs (and never in the finals) they were taken to six by teams in the finals that weren't just there for the coronation. The 91 Lakers began the run, but simply weren't capable of matching up with the Bulls and fell in five. I'll start with the year of the Bulls first repeat championship.

91 - 92 The Repeat

The Bulls made quick work of the first round, beating the Heat 3-0, before running into a tough Knicks team that took them to 7 games. Then they polished of the Cavs 4-2, advancing into the finals where they met :drum: the Portland Trailblazers.

Regular season averages pts scored - pts allowed:
Bulls (67- 15): 115.5 - 104.5
Port (57 -25): 111.4 - 104.2

Game 1: Por 89, Chi 122
Game 2: Por 115, Chi 104
Game 3: Chi 94, Por 84
Game 4: Chi 88, Por 93
Game 5: Chi 119, Por 106
Game 6: Por 93, Chi 97

92 - 93 The Threepeat

Chicago (57 - 25) had the third best record entering the playoffs, behind the Suns (62 - 20) and the Knicks (60 - 22). They swept the lowly Hawks. Then they swept the more respectable Cavs (54 - 28) before beating the Knicks in a seven game series. That won them a ticket to play the league leading Suns in the finals.

Regular season averages pts scored - pts allowed:
Bulls (57- 25): 112.9 - 106.1
Suns (62 -20): 113.3 - 106.7

Game 1: Chi 100, Pho 92
Game 2: Chi 111, Pho 108
Game 3: Pho 129, Chi 121
Game 4: Pho 105, Chi 111
Game 5: Pho 108, Chi 98
Game 6: Chi 99, Pho 98

So don't tell me there weren't great teams and challenges for the Bulls or that they didn't meet them and find a way to win.

Next up: the second repeat - threepeat

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Jordan shoots more. Only Maravich was a bigger ball hog.
Jordan averaged 22.9 shots per game. His shooting % was .497, or half of them fell.

Kobe took 19.5 shots per game. His shooting % was .447.

Jordan was a more efficient shooter.

This isn't to knock Kobe, who was great. Without Jordan it would be an interesting free for all debate about the all around best ever.

But the world isn't without Jordan and the question is settled by every meaningful metric. Kobe is an amazing also-ran.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
The NBA has suspended Draymond Green for game 5! :banghead:

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/201...spended-game-5-nba-finals-cleveland-cavaliers

Sent from my SM-G920V using TheologyOnline mobile app

I watched that game and didn't remember seeing Green do much on that play but I just saw a replay and I can see him swing out. Is it worthy of a flagrant? :idunno: But Green needs to control his temper and he won't get the benefit of the doubt because of his history.

I imagine there is also a conspiracy going on that the NBA wants at least to extend the series if not see Cleveland win. :noid:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I watched that game and didn't remember seeing Green do much on that play but I just saw a replay and I can see him swing out. Is it worthy of a flagrant? :idunno:
It is if it's your junk. :plain: And he's done that sort of thing before, but the last time it was a groin kick.

But Green needs to control his temper and he won't get the benefit of the doubt because of his history.
Recent history. Exactly.

I imagine there is also a conspiracy going on that the NBA wants at least to extend the series if not see Cleveland win. :noid:
It's a good story for the NBA either way...unless the alleged Curry personal scandal has any legs.