Is White Privilege Real?

ClimateSanity

seems like a lot of that falls under "values"

If you are taught the right values from birth, you will have privledge over most people. If people treat whites better than blacks, it's probably because the majority of people have run into more whites with the right values than blacks they have met. That could possibly be the result of spending more time with whites than blacks.

I am not sure why some blacks treat whites better than blacks. Maybe its the result of running into too many thugs. The black community has been treading quicksand because of wrong headed policies engineered by well meaning but ill educated liberals for decades now.

In such a vicious cycle, it is unlikely the average person will run into more black people with values they share than the whites they meet and spend more time with.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
i recognize racial disparity when i see it:

1336010402210.cached.jpg

Don't worry about a fair response from a liberal- you won't get one :rolleyes:

To them, I am more disparaging than any person in that photo- even though I am a lower class white guy who lives in the inner suburbs :chuckle:

They are thoroughly brainwashed by media penny pinchers and dye haired lesbos.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It's a bit of a nebulous bogeyman, this white privilege.
It really isn't. It's just not as simple, as obviously odious and harmful as slavery. It requires attention and the fighting of the ethnocentric impulse, fighting the statistics I gave you for many. Fighting the reflection of that sort of thinking within the dominant culture in a myriad of ways.

Why can't we pin down any particular laws or policies that favor whites?
You're looking for your car keys under the light then, not because that's where you might find them, but because that's where it's easier to see.

I can easily think of past examples, such as legal slavery, jim crow laws.
But what about now? Anything like that now?
Supra. I'm not going to expend more effort absent your meeting it. From this vantage it looks as though you're invested in protecting a bias, not examining a human truth. I've given you reason, facts, and links to other perspectives and studies in support. You don't have to do anything with them, but when you don't it makes a stronger statement than the questions and speculations you make avoiding them.

And any word yet, on how Asians overcame white privilege?
They didn't have as far to go, because we never thought of them as property to be owned, raped, mutilated. That said, it was still uphill. Go back and watch Breakfast at Tiffany's to see how as recently as the 60s white dominated society saw them as comic relief.

quip

BANNED
Banned
If you are taught the right values from birth, you will have privledge over most people. If people treat whites better than blacks, it's probably because the majority of people have run into more whites with the right values than blacks they have met. That could possibly be the result of spending more time with whites than blacks.

I am not sure why some blacks treat whites better than blacks. Maybe its the result of running into too many thugs. The black community has been treading quicksand because of wrong headed policies engineered by well meaning but ill educated liberals for decades now.

In such a vicious cycle, it is unlikely the average person will run into more black people with values they share than the whites they meet and spend more time with.

That's quite the privileged attitude you possess there.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
That's quite the privileged attitude you possess there.

i've been privileged to work in fields where my co-workers - of many different ethnicities and backgrounds - achieved their success through hard work and adherence to the kinds of values we were discussing earlier

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
oh dear God! :noway:
how they must have suffered from that!
The voice of the bully is heard. Yes. Demeaning a people, reducing them to the laughable works a harm, both to individuals and to peoples when they're in a culturally subservient role. Buck teeth or black face, it's the work of people like you, Sod.

quip

BANNED
Banned
i've been privileged to work in fields where my co-workers - of many different ethnicities and backgrounds - achieved their success through hard work and adherence to the kinds of values we were discussing earlier

Ok. And?