BRXII Battle talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Using what God gave us..............

Using what God gave us..............

So God is under the control of your reasoning, logic and intelligence? He has to answer to you?

God is the Author of reason, logic and intelligence and would not give us a teaching or principle that violates such.

paul

ApologeticJedi

Many against universalism only have their passages to support their views

That is a shame.
:sigh:

I have proposed one first consider 'God' and his divine and eternal Nature/Character/Constitution and then build a proper theology therefrom

So -- if I understand you correctly -- before we listen to what God says about himself (that is, before we go to scriptures) we should first think up our own idea of what God is like??

What if I'm not sure that I'm smart enough on my own to dream up what God is like? Can I look to what He said about Himself at that point? just to get me started obviously - I realize now the wisdom in not looking to scriptures too much to get our idea of what God is like. (Those that do that are just silly.) :sigh:

I once knew an Episcopalian lady in Newport, Rhode Island, who asked me to design and build a doghouse for her Great Dane. The lady claimed to understand God and His Ways of Working perfectly. She could not understand why anyone should be puzzled about what had been or about what was going to be.

And yet, when I showed her a blueprint of the doghouse I proposed to build, she said to me, "I'm sorry, but I never could read one of those things."

from Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut

Is Gods Love Infinite?

Luckily we started with our own imagination of what God is like. I can see now the wisdom in that.

Had one been lesser in their imagination and immediately jumped into the Bible, they might have come to the conclusion that there is an end to God's mercy (Josh 11:20; 1 Sam 8:18; Jer 14:11-12; Jer 15:6; Eze 8:18; Lam 2:2; Amos 5:21-24; Mic 3:4; Heb 10:28; 2 Peter 2:12). Of course that's the trap of looking to scriptures before first getting a clear idea in your mind what God must be like.

So many, I imagine, make that mistake of looking to God's own word...... Those poor sods.

Souls burning forever in a lake of fire as imposed by a God of eternal wrath who have no hope of remedy or salvation forever and ever is an atrocity and affront to the God of justice and reason.

That is what we all deserve. It is what I deserve. So no, it is not an affront to justice nor reason. Having mercy on me as He did, was an affront to justice.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
What is Infinite is greater than what is finite

What is Infinite is greater than what is finite

So -- if I understand you correctly -- before we listen to what God says about himself (that is, before we go to scriptures) we should first think up our own idea of what God is like??

Knowing 'God' is fundamental. You mention a key issue - 'listening'. - hearing his truth spoken to our inner man by His Spirit is key. God is Spirit. God is Light. God is Love. Truth is its own witness. In the Spirit of truth/God....is the wisdom to know/discern the Being/Nature/Character of Deity. When this knowing abides in the soul....one can better discern issues of divine justice and mercy. One will put the truth of God before human ideas of justice and mercy or translations that are contrary to Truth, if he will be True.

Is God Love?
Is God Infinite?
This equates Infinite Love.

God is Spirit.
What is the fruit of that Spirit?

God as Love/Light/Truth/Spirit knows its own Being. God could not act in ways that violate His Being.

That is what we all deserve. It is what I deserve. So no, it is not an affront to justice nor reason. Having mercy on me as He did, was an affront to justice.

I am sorry that your concept of your own self worth has devolved to the point of accepting the 'belief' that you deserve to burn in a lake of fire FOREVER, in eternal conscious torment. This is totally contrary to Love, logic, reason, intelligence.

A new worth-ship/revelation of God(Love) and your own 'soul' is recommended.

paul

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
So then you find His Teaching on hell resonable, logical and intelligent, right?

I reject such teaching.

The presumption that it is 'His' (Gods) teaching is your conjecture.

What is repugnant to reason, logic and intelligence, let alone love, justice, mercy and goodness is not of God.

paul

Aimiel

freelight;1400922I reject such teaching.[/QUOTE said:
Naturally, since it goes against your false theology of universalism.
The presumption that it is 'His' (Gods) teaching is your conjecture.
To understand The Word of God, as I've told you before, and to see His Kingdom, one must be born again. Until you are, all you'll have is darkness masquarading as light.
What is repugnant to reason, logic and intelligence, let alone love, justice, mercy and goodness is not of God.
Your presumption that God's Ideas of those things can be measured or dictated by your own is error, to say the least.

PKevman

Hello all,

I hardly come into these quarters and post mostly in the 'Religion' section, but wanted to look into logos_x and PK's debate. Logos_x and I agree in many respects with logics in universal salvation although his premise is more specifically within a biblical-context, while mine explores logics from more spiritualist/metaphysical dimensions not confined only to one religious culture or tradition.

Many against universalism only have their passages to support their views, being literalized into a crystallized dogma with no other possible interpretations. They have to fall back on these passages to prove their 'belief' in ECT(eternal conscious torment).

I have proposed one first consider 'God' and his divine and eternal Nature/Character/Constitution and then build a proper theology therefrom, instead of exalting a few translations above the divine Character that is contrary to the divine constitution. Putting the letter above the Spirit of Truth is indefensible and such can only result in a retardation or distortion of Gods ministration of justice and mercy, thru the mediation of his perfect, eternal Love and Wisdom.

I uphold the Ultimacy of Love and the Triumph of divine Will.

Is Gods Love Infinite?
Is Gods Omnihood All-pervading? Is the Supreme Will that upholds the very fabric of Existence held in the divine Providence of the All-mighty? Is Gods Eternal Mercy greater than the temporality of finite, mortal sin? What is finite cannot squelch, extinguish what is INFINITE.

Since God is Love and his ministrations concerning the welfare of his offspring are mediated with perfect justice and mercy, thru the motive of His Supreme Will, which is inspired by Infinite Love.....sin and its consequences or durations of punishments cannot be imposed for all time and eternity with no remedy or hope,....for the very Law of Progress and the purpose of a souls existence would be annulled, and God who is the divine Will to Life cannot cancell his own Law or the purpose of the souls existence which must go on to fulfill its reason for being.

Infinite Love/Wisdom could never condemn/confine its offspring to an everlasting state of unescapable torment forever as this is wholly contrary to logic, reason and justice, and is contrary to the Law of progress. As long as the soul exists...the Infinitude and opportunity of Love exists to rescue, uplift, save and guide one to greater light and eventual return to harmony with its Paternal Source.

The laws of compensation(sowing & reaping/action-reaction/karma) are ever mediated for souls and all bear the consequences for their sin, as well as the benefits of their adherence to natural and divine law. Souls therefore make for themselves their 'heaven' or 'hell' by their own souls thoughts and actions as the law of compensation affords. However Gods Love and grace are ever abundant and accessible to draw the prodigal sons home....even if their seasons of sin seem to endure for eons....the Eternal Father still waits for those ones to come to their senses - these will awaken in due time after the penalties and sufferings of their sin becomes no longer tolerable...and they turn Godward in repentance...willing to make amends.

Souls burning forever in a lake of fire as imposed by a God of eternal wrath who have no hope of remedy or salvation forever and ever is an atrocity and affront to the God of justice and reason. These fantastical images gleaned from literalizing interpretations of so called scripture...when their conclusions are contrary to the Constitution of Gods Character are unacceptable - therefore we would always be true to God first...and interpret all things accordingly thru the eternal verities of Gods Nature whose justice and mercy is Supreme.

Therefore I am with logos_x on this front, but include other logics for the continued support of employing these faculties(reason, logic, intelligence, consistency, etc.) towards the recognition of Love ultimately triumphing in the Restoration of all things in God/Christ.

paul

Freelight, with all due respect, the POINT of Battle Royale XII was to discuss what the Bible has to say on the issue. Your metaphysical ramblings will not contribute anything useful to this discussion. We get that you are a Universalist. I am truly sorry that you have allowed yourself to be led into such error, and hope you will someday see the light of truth. Sins have to be payed for in order for in order for an individual to receive God's freedom. Metaphysical mumbo jumbo could never pay for the sins of a fallen man. Only the death of Jesus Christ a divine being could accomplish that!

PKevman

freelight said:
Logos_x and I agree in many respects with logics in universal salvation although his premise is more specifically within a biblical-context, while mine explores logics from more spiritualist/metaphysical dimensions not confined only to one religious culture or tradition.

Translation: The Bible isn't good enough for me because it doesn't support my false theology. So I go to other sources OUTSIDE of the Bible to confirm the false teachings I have so readily and heartily accepted using my own reasoning and faculties as opposed to what God says of Himself in His Word.

PKevman

Freelight's PROFILE said:
Biography:
spiritualist, gnostic, mystic, soul-pioneer, unitarian/universalist, spiritual scientist, cosmic voyager

Translation: wacked-out Theology is bound to follow...........

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Life triumphs over death...............

Life triumphs over death...............

Translation: The Bible isn't good enough for me because it doesn't support my false theology. So I go to other sources OUTSIDE of the Bible to confirm the false teachings I have so readily and heartily accepted using my own reasoning and faculties as opposed to what God says of Himself in His Word.

Hi PK,

As shared previously....God would not impose an action or law that would be repugnant to reason, logic or intelligence. He cannot act contrary to what His divine Nature Is....and he has put within every soul something of the Light of His own Being.

If all things are to be restored in Christ and God is to be All in all....then Love/Light ultimately triumphs. With death swallowed up, and no more....there is only LIFE...and all is restored to harmony with the Universal One.

A Deity confining souls to a state of endless suffering/torment/punishment with no remedy or hope for all eternity is senseless, unjust and serves no purpose, but in fact transgresses the very law of their being, whose existence is sustained by the very Will of God to live to unfold and develop their God-given potential and destiny.

To insist God allows or enforces something that transgresses the law of progress, the unfolding of soul-life and nurturement of Love... is in effect implying that He dishonors his own Law of Life.....and eternally forfeits his hearts desire to bring his prodigals back Home....but would rather keep them living, burning in a lake of fire forever in agonizing torments with no relief. Since these souls have been deprived of the hope of reform, rescue, atonement.....repentance would be useless....and consider how much more angry, violated, despised, abandoned they would feel in relation to God.....assaulted with the grossest evil and injustice to never be afforded rehabilitation or restoration. The ultimate abandonment. A loving Father/Mother does not abandon his/her children.....EVER. To impose upon a God behavior that even an mortal father/mother would never dream of goes to show even more how perverted a view this is.

However,....Love triumphs....and can not rest...until all its loved ones return to be reunited.

This is the Ultimation of Gods Will....the Triumph of the One Life,...the Universal Christ. Christ in us,..the hope of glory.

paul

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist

Oh yes,....its all in the 'translation'. - so many exist :) - I do enjoy a host of appellations charting many dimensions of my spiritual career....and am ever evolving as any true soul-pioneer. The Cosmos is a vast domain and its depths could not be known or appreciated if one did not venture out...in exploration and discovery. Infinite Intelligence is unbounded.

A sound theology is one consistent with the One Universal Theos whose Love and Will is Supreme.

paul

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
sowing and reaping....the universal law.......

sowing and reaping....the universal law.......

Sins have to be payed for in order for in order for an individual to receive God's freedom. Metaphysical mumbo jumbo could never pay for the sins of a fallen man. Only the death of Jesus Christ a divine being could accomplish that!

The soul that sins pays or suffers the consequence for its own sins and ultimately learns thereby....making amends and atonement for those sins. Likewise souls also reap the consequence of obeying natural and divine laws which result in harmony and peace. This is the law of compensation (action/re-action; sowing/reaping; cause/effect; karma, etc.). Evil is its own punishment and goodness its own reward.

The belief and archetypes of Jesus making atonement by his ransom/sacrifice for the worlds sins in a redemption model have their place as belief-systems in those communities...and not other populations. Nevertheless...the universal law of compensation holds and by such...souls are making their own heavens or hells....processing their own spiritual path and soul-development....here and in the hereafter.

The Atonement provided for by Christ surely has its place within the context of the dispensation of grace poured out to mankind.....but such 'atonement' has various meanings/applications and most of these are only validated by the 'faith' of the believer. - it holds that souls still suffer from their own sins and pay the consequences therein. - each must bear his own load and reap what he sows,...even with the additional grace bestowed by God thru Christ as a help. Self-responsibility and reform is still essential for ones prosperity and moral progress.

paul

Aimiel

The wages of sin is death, and after death comes judgement. The only way that death can be paid is for the one who's guilty to die. Those who are guilty must also be judged, after which, they will be sent to hell, and eventually the Lake of Fire. Only those who are washed in The Blood of The Lamb can avoid those flames.

Aimiel

The Atonement provided for by Christ surely has its place within the context of the dispensation of grace poured out to mankind... but such 'atonement' has various meanings/applications and most of these are only validated by the 'faith' of the believer. - it holds that souls still suffer from their own sins and pay the consequences therein. - each must bear his own load and reap what he sows,... even with the additional grace bestowed by God thru Christ as a help. Self-responsibility and reform is still essential for ones prosperity and moral progress.
You seem to only ever express the same type error that all universalists have fallen prey to which is the most dangerous thing there is in this world: half-truths.

The 'place' that God has designed for Christ's atonement is faith. Without faith in Christ, it is impossible to please God. Without applying His Blood, grace is not applied. Not only does God forgive sins of those who believe in Christ, but He looks upon us as if we've never sinned. The sins we've committed will have repurcussions in our lives, whether God has forgiven them or not, and we will still bear responsibility for our actions, good or bad. Standing before God at judgement is where Christ's Blood pays the greatest dividends. Those who've been washed clean will be found guiltless, and be allowed into Heaven. Those who've rejected Christ will be rejected by God.

We will continue to pray for your salvation.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Christian-Universalism

Christian-Universalism

Hi all,

I was on the Christian-universalist list on yahoogroups for sometime founded by Eric Stetson. I have switched my readings to 'on the web' only so dont get the individual e-mails in my inbox anymore..(too many posts) - however I do co-moderate the more liberal 'universalism@yahoogroups' discussion group (more pure universalism, all-inclusive, syncretic, etc.), although things have been very quiet there recently. - its a sister group begun by Eric for us more eclectic/unitarian/unorthodox types :)

Heres Erics excellent site on Biblical Christian-Universalism -

http://www.christian-universalism.com/

One of his articles -

Hell: Satan's Biggest Lie

by Eric Stetson

Why the devil wants us to believe God tortures people forever in hell

http://www.christian-universalism.com/articles/hell-satanic.html

His site is a goldmine resource for 'biblically based christian universalists' with fellowship directory, networking, etc.

Enjoy,

paul

Paul, I apologize for reacting so quickly. The only thing I can blame it on is the fact that I have a migraine after fighting with my daughter this evening.

Nori (ebenz47037)

Last edited by a moderator:

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
issue redressed

issue redressed

paul

Paul, I apologize for reacting so quickly. The only thing I can blame it on is the fact that I have a migraine after fighting with my daughter this evening.

Nori (ebenz47037)

Thank you for resolving this issue Nori, and allowing for this link - http://www.christian-universalism.com/ to be re-posted as it is a website of information and resources of the subject....and not a discussion forum proper.

*We have resolved this via PM as an infraction was given, which afterwards was found to be a mistake after further review.

:thumb:

paul

Nineveh

Merely Christian
"The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat." I thought you were interested in a civil conversation
for a moment there, my mistake. never mind...

You'd rather offer this pathetic reply than to get familiar with the material you wanted to dicuss? Have it your way, dave. Can't say I'm shocked by your attitude.

Aimiel

I have another name for it freelight: garbage!
2 Timothy 3:1-7
This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts, Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Ecumenicist

Translation: Ridicule, villification, and derision are the only options available for
supporting the wacked-out theology known as ET.

This in itself reveals how much "truth" is in this doctrine. These are the fruits of
the Accuser, not the Advocate, nor the Holy Spirit.

Status
Not open for further replies.