ARCHIVE: The Apostle Pauls affirms that a Christian can sin.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
(posse= able) (peccare= to sin)

1. Posse peccare: possible to sin (Adam's first estate)

2. Non posse non peccare: not possible not to sin (fallen man)

3. Posse non peccare: possible not to sin (redeemed man)

4. Non posse peccare: not possible to sin (glorified man)

I think our 'sinless perfectionism' friends here blur the distinction between redeemed man in a fallen world, and glorified man in His presence when we will be like Him in perfection because we see Him as He is. At the moment, we do not always consistently live up to all the light we have nor do we have all light as we continually grow in the grace and knowledge of Christ until we reach maturity (Eph. 4...not having already attained perfection, but striving with His energy that works in us...Phil. 3).

mercyschild

Sozo said:
Define "we".

I am about to get into trouble again, but here's my answer; take it with a grain of salt...it's truth though...

Me, Poly, Knight, Sozo, E4E...anyone who sins\does wrong against anyone else is in turn sinning against God...period; Christian, or not...and it doesn't matter whether it was intentional or not.

Sozo

godless said:
(posse= able) (peccare= to sin)

1. Posse peccare: possible to sin (Adam's first estate)

2. Non posse non peccare: not possible not to sin (fallen man)

3. Posse non peccare: possible not to sin (redeemed man)

4. Non posse peccare: not possible to sin (glorified man)
# 3 is hilarious! :rotfl:

Based on what?

This explains why you are so deceived.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Sozo said:

Based on what?

#3 does seem a little strange. :squint:

EDIT:

If they meant what I think it means, they need to change #2.

Sozo

mercyschild said:
I am about to get into trouble again, but here's my answer; take it with a grain of salt...it's truth though...

Me, Poly, Knight, Sozo, E4E...anyone who sins\does wrong against anyone else is in turn sinning against God...period; Christian, or not...and it doesn't matter whether it was intentional or not.

Then why did Jesus die?
What is a new creation in Christ?
How is a Christian free from sin?
Why did Jesus say that anyone who sins is a slave of sin?
Why did Paul say that a Christian is not a slave of sin?
Why does Paul say that a Christian is circumcised from the flesh?
Why does Paul say that it is not him who sins?
Why does the writer of Hebrews state that if you continue to sin, that there is no more sacrifice for your sin?
Why does John say that whoever is born of God cannot sin?
Why does John say that whoever sins does not know God?
Why does John say that whoever sins is of the devil?

Sozo

kmoney said:
#3 does seem a little strange. :squint:

EDIT:

If they meant what I think it means, they need to change #2.
#2 is absolutely correct, and frankly I was quite surprised that godless posted it.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Lighthouse said:
That doesn't answer the question. We agree that the you outside of Christ can, and does, sin. But there is another you. Not that there is really a separation, but there is a difference of identity. You were not who you are now, in Christ. In Him you are a new creation. So when that comes to pass you should no longer identify yourself as you once were. You should identify yourself as that new creation. And even though the "flesh" is dead, it still lives in the technical sense. But we should not identify it as such. We are to count ourselves dead to sin, and alive to Christ. Identify with Him, not with yourself.

I agree with identifying with Christ, but that does not make us robotic sock puppets. You seem to double speak contradictions.

Christians have a responsiblity to respond to the Word and the Spirit in faith and obedience. I Jn. 3:3 says we are to purify ourselves because of this hope and 2 Cor. 7:1 (for the Mid-Acts people who reject John) says the same thing, perfecting holiness by purifying ourselves with a cooperation in the Spirit. Without our cooperation (Rom. 6 yield, obey), sanctification does not become real and experiential (initial, positional issues are one side of the coin at justification, but not the whole story).

The issue is about being dominated by the Spirit or flesh, not a plateau of perfectionism that is automatic and instantaneous at conversion. Maturity is not self-righteousness (sozo's rookie mistake). We can cultivate one form of life or the other (Spirit vs flesh). Wesley's entire sanctification (another form of sinless perfectionism error) should not mean absolute perfection immediately, since this quality alone belongs to God. It is a relative perfection that will be completed when we are glorified. In the meantime, there may be a struggle (Rom. 7; Phil. 3). We are not free from temptation or the possibility of imperfection in this life. If you say we are perfect in Christ and cannot sin, then do not come up with a semantical system to explain away a believer who does a specific sinful thing without negating the bent and desire to live for Christ, not self/flesh. No matter how consecrated we may be, it is not possible, one minute after conversion, to apply all of the knowledge of the Word and Spirit as we are being transformed from glory to glory into the image of Christ (in actuality, not just in theory).

Through the Spirit and the Word, we are able to not sin, but this does not necessitate the idea that we are not able to sin (will not vs cannot).

Though we are dominated by the Spirit and radically new creatures in Christ (compared to our former domination by the flesh), this does not preclude having a wrong thought, motive, deed, word (sinful).

Be a man. Take responsibility if you sin (don't blame it on Adam, devil, or a nebulous flesh nature), confess, repent, renew obedience and experience again intimacy with a holy God (I Jn. 1:9). Euphemizing, rationalizing, theologizing (sic >?) away things to retain a convoluted system is not necessary. Take the word at face value and learn from the OT saints (2 Tim. 3:16; Heb. 11) that we should seek God and respond to His conviction, not rationalize it away.

If my people...then I will... (Chronicles).

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Knight said:
Uh... about what? :confused:

Nevermind, it doesn't matter. You see... that's the difference between me and you. I am not going to accuse you of lying just because we have a disagreement. And I am not going to accuse you of not be saved just because you don't acknowledge the biblical usage of a three letter word.

ditto for sozo...once again, Knight's maturity shines like shining armor (no I am not you know whating, sozo).

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Sozo said:
Define "we".

you, me, we, Tom, Dick, Harry, Jane, etc. LH saying that the flesh sins, but we do not is like saying I have a friend who has a problem (wink, nudge) or self-delusion to negate personal responsibility (I am sinning, but it is not really me sinning, because it does not fit my theology...my spirit does not sin, but my flesh sins?! I have two wills and a multiple personality disorder? We have a material and an immaterial nature...the body does nothing without the real person's will and mind expressing through the body...personifying flesh to the point of being another indwelling entity that is a scapegoat goes beyond the analogy).

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Sozo said:

Based on what?

There is no good reason for a Christian to sin, but will not is not the same as cannot. I did not make this stuff up and did not even say I agree with the Reformers, but I think they are closer to the truth than you.

If you say you have no sin (sinless perfection), you are a liar. John writes these things to believers so they will not sin and they will walk in the light as He is in the light. But IF (not when) we sin, we have an advocate, a redeemer, One we can confess to (say the same thing as God...He calls it sin, so should we), repent (cease sin instead of persisting in it like your perfectionism view tolerates as an illusion like Christian Science...sin is not real), renew obedience (like Jesus and Paul lived...in loving obedience to the Spirit and Word), and experience fresh forgiveness on that one point (which does not mean getting saved again).

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Sozo said:
#2 is absolutely correct, and frankly I was quite surprised that godless posted it.

Thank the Reformers, not me. I threw it out there for our Lutheran friend who quoted a Latin phrase.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Sozo said:
That's a lie.

I never said anything like that. You owe me an apology.

I apologize for not understanding your view better or misrepresenting it.

You owe me a thousand apologies on the same note :cool:

When I talk about progressive or experiential sanctification, you seemed to distinguish your idea of perfect in Christ (absolute) from some concept of maturity (I think we are not necessarily far off, but there are some semantical issues).

We are sanctified/set apart as holy at conversion. We then mature as we grow in the grace and knowledge of Christ (the fruit of the Spirit manifests in our character and life). I call the latter the other side of the coin of initial, instantaneous sanctification. I would not quibble if we both just called it maturity or moving from an infant in Christ (sometimes tossed to and fro) to adulthood maturity as a son of God.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Sozo said:
That's a lie.

I never said anything like that. You owe me an apology.

What you have implied is that any measure of living up to the light he shows us, growth, obedience, yielding, etc. is self-righteous instead of the cooperative nature of growing in Christ (we are not robots, but are exhorted to put off the old self and put on the new man, moment by moment, day by day, choice by choice...in contrast to perfect at conversion and a spiritual couch potato for the rest of our lives).

mercyschild

Why does Paul say that it is not him who sins? He is still human, who has the Holy Spirit to guide him in right paths. He also states that he still wrestles with the fleshly desires; they keep him from doing the good he knows he ought to do.
Why does the writer of Hebrews state that if you continue to sin, that there is no more sacrifice for your sin? Because with Christ's death, that need was taken away; even when we do wrong, we don't need to offer up any poor goats, sheep, or cattle to atone for what we have done wrong.

I am not going to continue arguing with you Sozo...I am sorry, but you just keep running in circles; Christians are still saints who sin...simply put; No, we cannot LIVE in sin, but when we are deeply rooted in Christ, we learn that we don't have need for those worldly desires that non-christians cannot help but be involved in; they lack the conscience, and discipline from God in order to KNOW they are deep in sin...

godrulz

Hall of Fame
All of those verses need to be exegeted in context, in light of all biblical teaching, not proof texted.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
elected4ever said:
Every time you open you mouth you accuse me of lying.
I do? :confused:

I mean... I am not saying I have never called you a liar but can you give me an example? Can you show me one or two times I have accused you of lying? It's just something I can't remember doing.

Sozo

godless pervert said:
What you have implied is that any measure of living up to the light he shows us, growth, obedience, yielding, etc. is self-righteous instead of the cooperative nature of growing in Christ (we are not robots, but are exhorted to put off the old self and put on the new man, moment by moment, day by day, choice by choice...in contrast to perfect at conversion and a spiritual couch potato for the rest of our lives).
You're an idiot.

No one has suggested your wild theories about Christianity.

I clearly stated, and the bible clearly teaches that maturity is total dependancy.

You are independent of God, and that is what makes you self-righteous.

Sozo

mercyschild said:
I am not going to continue arguing with you Sozo...I am sorry, but you just keep running in circles; Christians are still saints who sin...simply put; No, we cannot LIVE in sin, but when we are deeply rooted in Christ, we learn that we don't have need for those worldly desires that non-christians cannot help but be involved in; they lack the conscience, and discipline from God in order to KNOW they are deep in sin...
I'm assuming that you do not answer questions, because you don't know the answers. That's fine, not everyone who is just beginning to learn about the bible is going to know what they are talking about. I'll give you a break.

However, just so you don't say things in public to make yourself look foolish, you might want to rephrase your last comment about Christians being deep in sin.

Paul says that a Christian is free from sin. Being deep in something is a contradiction of being free from it. It's quite simple.

Sozo

godrulz said:
I apologize for not understanding your view better or misrepresenting it.

You owe me a thousand apologies on the same note :cool:

When I talk about progressive or experiential sanctification, you seemed to distinguish your idea of perfect in Christ (absolute) from some concept of maturity (I think we are not necessarily far off, but there are some semantical issues).

We are sanctified/set apart as holy at conversion. We then mature as we grow in the grace and knowledge of Christ (the fruit of the Spirit manifests in our character and life). I call the latter the other side of the coin of initial, instantaneous sanctification. I would not quibble if we both just called it maturity or moving from an infant in Christ (sometimes tossed to and fro) to adulthood maturity as a son of God.
Wait a minute, who is using your computer?