Public Schools are Sin!

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Shalom said:
Lighthouse -- I agree with you that it is not the governments job to raise, feed, ect ect our children. My two children go to a private Christian school because I share this veiw also.

But what about those that cannot afford private schools or have to hold a job and cannot homeschool? What would you do with them? I know a friends sister that is a single mom. The dad is a loser "meth head" and a registered sexual offender who is no where to be found for any parenting help for the three boys they have. She is not the smartest person herself but she at least feeds them, loves them, and clothes them as best as she can given her monetary situation. Sadley the public school system is the only chance for an education those boys have realistically. We all know what we would do in a perfect world, but what about these kids and the others like them?

I think it would be great if all the public schools became private, and then maybe some kind of a system went into palce for the kids like the above ones allowed them to attend those schools. I dont know....what your thoughts lighthouse?
Honestly, I don't agree with private schooling either. I do believe that private schools are better at educating than public schools, but I still believe it is the parent's responsibility. And a single parent is not at work 2/7. And neither are couples who both work. There's always a time of day that they could use to teach their children.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
shilohproject said:
Why feed the prisoner, then?
To keep them alive, so they can receive their punishment. And the only reason to hold a prisoner is either because they are awaiting trial, or they are awaiting the death penalty. And those awaiting the death penatly should only be there for a few days before they receive their punishment.

Those who are not guilty of a capital crime should receive their punishment and be sent on their way. And, to make sure that this works the punishment mus be painful. 40 lashes was God's idea, and He knows better than we do, so I think we should do what He wants.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Lighthouse said:
"Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it." Parents should do their jobs when their children when they are young. If they don't then the government should do what needs to be done, in some instances, when they are adults, but not before then. Unless they child commits a crime, punishable by law... And the government should never be responsible for feeding someone, unless they are being held on criminal charges. It is the churches job to feed the needy, and to take care of orphans and widows. Even if the government needs to take away a child from their parents, the church should be willing to take in the child. They couldn't do a worse job than the government does with such children.
I don't believe that verse means education.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I wasn't referring specifically to education. Education is included in the raising of a child.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Lighthouse said:
I wasn't referring specifically to education. Education is included in the raising of a child.
Is there another verse in the bible that says that parents are responsible for educating their children?

and what do you feel about college?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Lighthouse said:
I'll have to look into that.
ok, because I don't know of any, and personally the verse you are currently using I don't believe even includes education.

They're adults by then.
I figured that's what you'd say, just thought I'd ask anyway. :up:

shilohproject

Lighthouse said:
:rolleyes:

The bottom line is that it shouldn't be their job. And God doesn't want it to be their job. As Christians we should be in tune with God's design, and not with man's. Especially when men are generally wicked, and ultimately unrighteous.
God's design is that we should look out for one another, loving our neighbor as ourselves. If that is coordinated through an arm of the government (of the people, by the people, etc.), that's just fine by me.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
:bang:

Loving our neighbors as we love ourselves is not the government's position. It is our position as individuals. And letting the government do what it does in public schools is not loving our neighbors. And sending your kids to one is not loving your kids. So, how are you supposed to love your neighbors if you can't even love your kids? And I'm not implying that you don't have love for your kids, but love requires acts to be understood, and sending your kids to a public school is not an act of love. I don't even think sending them to a private school is an act of love.

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
Lighthouse said:

Loving our neighbors as we love ourselves is not the government's position. It is our position as individuals. And letting the government do what it does in public schools is not loving our neighbors. And sending your kids to one is not loving your kids. So, how are you supposed to love your neighbors if you can't even love your kids? And I'm not implying that you don't have love for your kids, but love requires acts to be understood, and sending your kids to a public school is not an act of love. I don't even think sending them to a private school is an act of love.

I'm with you a 100% on that!:thumb:

shilohproject

Lighthouse said:

You've obviously had bad experiences with public schools. Or else have swallowed the dogma of the seperatist Right. In any event, you continue to miss the central issue here: what do you propose should be done when parens fail? The notion of loving neighbor as self is O.T and was corporate in nature, not individualistic. It is especially appropriate in a nation which fancies itself to be democratic, since the "government" is us.

My kids have never had a free lunch. We can, and do, provide for them. What about those children who's folks either can't or don't? Do you let them starve?

Why do you think you get to decide the right role of "government, when the majority supports such food programs? Is it okay for "government" to build roads?

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
kmoney said:
...and what do you feel about college?
Most people in college are of age and get to decide for themselves. If you have to go to college to pursue your chosen profession that's cool! Our son wants to be a paramedic and if he wants to live at home and go to the state supported tech school I have no problem with it. If, however, one of my kids wants to go to any college to major in "undecided" they will not get a dime from me!

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
shilohproject said:
Is it okay for "government" to build roads?
Yes, building roads is, as a matter of fact, one of the very few just functions of government
specifically mentioned in the Bible. Deuteronomy 19:3

shilohproject

deardelmar said:
Yes, building roads is, as a matter of fact, one of the very few just functions of government
specifically mentioned in the Bible. Deuteronomy 19:3
Biblical government was not democratic. Do you suggest we go to a strict OT government? Surely not!

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
shilohproject said:
Biblical government was not democratic. Do you suggest we go to a strict OT government? Surely not!
I would suggest that you could learn much about the just function of government from the OT. Oh, by the way, did you know democracy was tried in the OT? Do you know how that turned out?

shilohproject

deardelmar said:
I would suggest that you could learn much about the just function of government from the OT. Oh, by the way, did you know democracy was tried in the OT? Do you know how that turned out?
Your suggestion in this matter might be more meaningful if you'd expound a little. As of this point I see very little of value in the OT systems of government.

As to your question, no, I'm not familiar. Care to give me a reference?

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
shilohproject said:
Your suggestion in this matter might be more meaningful if you'd expound a little. As of this point I see very little of value in the OT systems of government.

Ok, but I am going to have to put in some study time so my response my take a while and several posts.

First off can I at least get you to concede that if God, in the OT, told one government that they should build good roads that it just might provide us with a hint that maybe God thinks that building roads is an Ok thing for governments to do?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
deardelmar said:
Most people in college are of age and get to decide for themselves. If you have to go to college to pursue your chosen profession that's cool! Our son wants to be a paramedic and if he wants to live at home and go to the state supported tech school I have no problem with it. If, however, one of my kids wants to go to any college to major in "undecided" they will not get a dime from me!
:up:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
shilohproject said:

While DD is working on his posts I'll give the scripture that I think he's going to use. Numbers 16:1-33.

Also, I think these couple verses:
Num 26:9 And the sons of Eliab; Nemuel, and Dathan, and Abiram. This is that Dathan and Abiram, which were famous in the congregation, who strove against Moses and against Aaron in the company of Korah, when they strove against the LORD:
Num 26:10 And the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed them up together with Korah, when that company died, what time the fire devoured two hundred and fifty men: and they became a sign.

The basic line of thinking is that the 250 men wanted to setup a democracy of some sort and as a result the Lord killed, therefore that isn't the kind of government God wants. I personally do not believe in that interpretation.

I'm sure deardelmar will go into more detail, but that is the basics of it so you can start reading those scriptures while you wait on dd.