Public Schools are Sin!

kmoney

Hall of Fame
CRASH said:
I would never send my kid to a college in Michiagan - he'd probably come out a Buddhist Homo like you.:down:
Actually he says he's married and has a child, so he's not a homo....

SOTK

CRASH said:
The reason it seems ridiculous to you is because your kids are in public school and you have made yourself comfortable with that arrangement. To say it was sin would require a large shift in your thinking and actions.

Yes, to say it is sin is ridiculous and you can not prove it biblically. Yes, I've read some of your scripture references and they are a shot in the dark. First of all, I am not under the law. What you are setting up here, whether you believe it or not, is a legalistic argument. Second of all, I am incapable of sin as a Child of God. Christ died for me once. He crucified my old sin nature once. I am no longer a child of wrath. I am a Saint! To allege that Christians still sin is unbiblical as well as a slap in the face to Christ as well as the Holy Spirit. How many times do you feel Christ should die for Christians, CRASH?

CRASH said:
Your "choice" is based on the stealing of money where the people often have no choice but to pay. The Bible never authorizes the government to take money from people at gunpoint, so that the government can raise everyone’s children in the nation in a God-less, anti-Christian (education - HA) system.

My choice is based on my own and particular personal experience and observations. The Schools in my particular city and my particular school district are excellent. I gladly and willingly pay to support them. Their "Excell Programs" are excellent. I have a say so in what subjects I want my children to learn and am invited to sit in on the classes. My wife and I are actively involved in our children's education.

Some of the homeschool advocates on this board go out of their way to state overgeneralizations about public schools, demonize all public schools, and make good Christian parents out to be evil and imbeciles. This is arrogant, presumptuous, and wrong. What makes you think that I, as a Christian parent, do not closely monitor my children's education? What makes you think that I do not instuct my children in the ways of the Lord? You arrogantly assume way too much!

CRASH said:
Of course my evidence is antidotal. But so is yours and everyone else’s. So we can only deal with related facts and peoples perceptions.

See, that's just the point. Your evidence is your evidence. I don't really care what your evidence or experience is. You are not me. You are not the father of my children and do not live where I live. This is the problem I have with attacking other parent's educational choices. This is the problem I have with overgeneralizations. They don't work.

CRASH said:
The horror stories are pouring in from all fronts. Just because you homeschool and go to church it doesn't mean your kid will not grow up to be a murderer. Our countries laws are broker and the people our broken.

I don't deny that. There have been some terrible atrocities within the public school system. Yes, there are some terrible schools out there. There are horrible teachers. Some of the subject matter is equally horrible. I am not denying that. Believe me, if I experienced this, or if I do experience it, my kids will be pulled out. Believe me. My point is that I haven't had any bad experiences yet and have not seen any bad experiences yet.

Are the schools that my kids go to perfect? No, they aren't. But this is where my role as a parent comes in. Just because my wife and I are not homeschooling does not mean we do not teach, and I don't just mean the Bible. Again, you presume too much.

I
CRASH said:
f you think my stance is wrong, it makes me think you did not read this whole thread.

I have read the majority of the thread. No offense, but your points or conclusions aren't new around here. This topic and your accusations have come up again and again and again. You, and some others here, assume way too much and you do so arrogantly.

CRASH said:
Drinking is not a sin unless you get drunk. Led Zeppelin is not a sin unless you play it backwards, burn incense, smoke a bone and bow down to Buddha all at the same time.

Huh?

Last edited:

`Love.

Public school is not a sin. It IS however, a waste of money and in most cases an item used to push beliefs. (Almost never Christianity) Obviously, no one can make your children believe something, but all the child has to go on is what he's told and what he sees. Putting your children in public school and letting people consistently tell them things like Evolution and Homosexuality are ok, while getting negative responses from peers when saying they're not, WILL do something to your kid.

Yes, it's your choice what to do with your children. You could tell your children that Satan is God, that doesn't mean you should....or that you're right.

Waste of money? Yep! An underestimate average of $10,000 goes for each child's "education". Whoo, you could take your child to Africa for a safari with that! Oh, that's right, you can't. They're too busy getting told about how we came from apes and that Adam and Gary doing the naughty is cool! :thumb:

Where some of the information comes:
http://www.reformk12.com/archives/000174.nclk

SOTK

`Love. said:
Public school is not a sin. It IS however, a waste of money and in most cases an item used to push beliefs. (Almost never Christianity) Obviously, no one can make your children believe something, but all the child has to go on is what he's told and what he sees. Putting your children in public school and letting people consistently tell them things like Evolution and Homosexuality are ok, while getting negative responses from peers when saying they're not, WILL do something to your kid.

Yes, there can be temptations at public schools. There also can be temptations within any peer group. For example, my oldest daughter's best friend is a homeschooled girl from church. My wife and I just recently found out that this girl has a boyfriend! :shocked: My wife and I do not believe in this obviously. Interestingly, my daughter states she has felt more peer pressure from this homeschooled girl than her peers from public school!

My point in this is it's how you raise your children.

`Love. said:
Yes, it's your choice what to do with your children. You could tell your children that Satan is God, that doesn't mean you should....or that you're right.

Waste of money? Yep! An underestimate average of $10,000 goes for each child's "education". Whoo, you could take your child to Africa for a safari with that! Oh, that's right, you can't. They're too busy getting told about how we came from apes and that Adam and Gary doing the naughty is cool! :thumb:

:rolleyes:

Public Education may be a waste of money with some schools, yes. With others it is not. Again, another overgeneralization.

It amazes me how much power you guys place with the secular world. I don't know about anybody else, but I teach my kids to place their faith in God.

Shalom

I agree to an extent SOTK. I think you can successfully raise good kids in the public school system. But I do think Private Christian schools or homeschooling is a better alternative if you can afford them or have the time for homeschooling. You're right you cant generalize all public school kids are going to be unbehaved and uneducated kids just like not all homeschooled kids will turn out socially immature or advanced in education. I agree it has alot to do with your parenting skills and what is being taught at home as far as where to place their faith and you have to teach them right thinking.

SOTK

Shalom said:
I agree to an extent SOTK. I think you can successfully raise good kids in the public school system. But I do think Private Christian schools or homeschooling is a better alternative if you can afford them or have the time for homeschooling. You're right you cant generalize all public school kids are going to be unbehaved and uneducated kids just like not all homeschooled kids will turn out socially immature or advanced in education. I agree it has alot to do with your parenting skills and what is being taught at home as far as where to place their faith and you have to teach them right thinking.

:thumb:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
My reason for disliking public schools is that it is not the governments job to raise, discipline, feed or educate anyone's children. And there may be other things that would go into that list, but I can't think of any at the moment, I went to public school for 10 years.

SOTK

Lighthouse said:
My reason for disliking public schools is that it is not the governments job to raise, discipline, feed or educate anyone's children. And there may be other things that would go into that list, but I can't think of any at the moment, I went to public school for 10 years.

Ummm....the government doesn't raise, discipline, or feed my kids. And, I agree, it's not their job. Also, the government does not educate my children either. The parents and the teacher do. :)

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
The teacher is a government employee. The government supplies the money to the schools for the children's lunches. And, since the children are there for eight hours a day, five days a week, the teachers, and some other faculty members, are raising the children in a fashion. Yes, the parents raise their children as well, but they are not the only ones raising them. And they do discipline the children. Since public schools are a gevernment institution then the government is doing these things.