Public Schools are Sin!

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
shilohproject said:
I'm pretty open minded. It is one of the cores of my life philosophy. What I don't understand is your (and others') resistance to helping those in need.
You have no Idea how much I do to help others in need and I am not one bit resistant to you helping the needy as much as you want! Give till it hurts, that's great! I just want you (and others') to stop passing laws that steal the resources to help from other hard working families!

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I just realized we are having this discussion in the wrong thread. Hey Crash, what do you think? Would it be more appropriate in the "Liberals are Evil Sinners" thread?

shilohproject

Well, the issue was schools, as I recall. My point is simply that there is nothing wrong with feeding needy kids at school, etc.

shilohproject

deardelmar said:
You have no Idea how much I do to help others in need and I am not one bit resistant to you helping the needy as much as you want! Give till it hurts, that's great! I just want you (and others') to stop passing laws that steal the resources to help from other hard working families!
Is it okay to take (steal, if I use your reactionary language) tax dollars to fund a war that someone doesn't support? At some point the majority must speak. And it has, thankfully.:cool:

shilohproject

deardelmar said:
You have no Idea how much I do to help others in need...
I never doubted it. This is not a personal attack, rather a discussion about the appropriate function of schools/government.:cool:

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
shilohproject said:
Is it okay to take (steal, if I use your reactionary language) tax dollars to fund a war that someone doesn't support? At some point the majority must speak. And it has, thankfully.:cool:
Funding the military is supported by the Bible, So are funding infrastructure and the criminal justice system. No where in the Bible will you find support for raising Taxes to educate other peoples kids.

shilohproject

deardelmar said:
Funding the military is supported by the Bible, So are funding infrastructure and the criminal justice system. No where in the Bible will you find support for raising Taxes to educate other peoples kids.
1. Show me a reference in biblical law that supports a governmantal tax for the military. (Hint: go to the passage when Samuel warns the people about the dangers of kings before you use any of the Isreal/Judah monarchies as a good example.)

2.How do you discount the many references to feeding the poor, the orphan, the widow, etc.?

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
shilohproject said:
1. Show me a reference in biblical law that supports a governmantal tax for the military. (Hint: go to the passage when Samuel warns the people about the dangers of kings before you use any of the Isreal/Judah monarchies as a good example.)

2.How do you discount the many references to feeding the poor, the orphan, the widow, etc.?

1 The account in Sammual talks about an amount of taxation that would be unjust and I agree!

2 Again you try to make it look like I am against helping those in need.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
shilohproject said:
You've obviously had bad experiences with public schools. Or else have swallowed the dogma of the seperatist Right. In any event, you continue to miss the central issue here: what do you propose should be done when parens fail? The notion of loving neighbor as self is O.T and was corporate in nature, not individualistic. It is especially appropriate in a nation which fancies itself to be democratic, since the "government" is us.

Yes, I went to public school. And the academic aspect was horrible. And I learned a great deal of things I should not have learned. If I had been homeschooled I could have learned the things I need to know, and at the appropriate times in my life. And I would have been able to learn a great deal more about Scripture and God than I did in public school.

As for the government, this is not a godly government. It is not one that God desires, and it certainly doesn't desire God.:nono:

My kids have never had a free lunch. We can, and do, provide for them. What about those children who's folks either can't or don't? Do you let them starve?
the church should step up and take action, as God has called us to do. But for some reason most Christians would rather sit back an let somebody else handle it. And it saddens and sickens me to see what the church has become. Lazy, selfish, self-seeking and self-serving. Nothing like God wants us to be.

Why do you think you get to decide the right role of "government, when the majority supports such food programs? Is it okay for "government" to build roads?
I don;t get to decide that role, God does. God has called for government to do certain things, and for us, as His people, to do certain things. Right now we are letting the government do the things God wants us to do.

And as for the road question, Delmar has answered that. thank you, Delmar.:up:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
shilohproject said:
I'm pretty open minded. It is one of the cores of my life philosophy. What I don't understand is your (and others') resistance to helping those in need.
We have no resistance to helping those in need. We merely think that it is the job of the church [us] instead of the goevernment's job. I believe that I should help the needy, not that the government should do it. Of course, if a government official wants to serve at a food kitchen, they are more than welcome. But the food kitchen should be set up by the church, not the government.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
SOTK said:
What a load of crap! I'm gonna have to start putting you into the group of people around here I don't take seriously very much anymore.
I have absolutely no doubt that you love your children. My father sent me to public school, and I know he loves me.

All I am saying is that I do not believe sending your children to a public school is an act of love. And, my father agrees. He is sorry that he ever sent me to one. And has said if he could do it over again, he never would have.

I am also sure that your children know you love them. But sending them to public school has nothing to do with that. That does not show them you love them. Other things you do show them you love them, but this does not.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Lighthouse said:
We have no resistance to helping those in need. We merely think that it is the job of the church [us] instead of the goevernment's job. I believe that I should help the needy, not that the government should do it. Of course, if a government official wants to serve at a food kitchen, they are more than welcome. But the food kitchen should be set up by the church, not the government.
I don't care much for soup kitchens run by the chuch either! If somebody is hungry his church should do what they can to help him find a job. If a widow has kids that are of age her kids should take care of her. Orphans should be adopted. If homes can't be found for them not for profit organizations like Churches should provide for them.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Lighthouse said:
I have absolutely no doubt that you love your children. My father sent me to public school, and I know he loves me.

All I am saying is that I do not believe sending your children to a public school is an act of love. And, my father agrees. He is sorry that he ever sent me to one. And has said if he could do it over again, he never would have.

I am also sure that your children know you love them. But sending them to public school has nothing to do with that. That does not show them you love them. Other things you do show them you love them, but this does not.
it might not be an act of love, but it isn't an act of unlove either.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
deardelmar said:
I don't care much for soup kitchens run by the chuch either! If somebody is hungry his church should do what they can to help him find a job. If a widow has kids that are of age her kids should take care of her. Orphans should be adopted. If homes can't be found for them not for profit organizations like Churches should provide for them.
Well, from what you said I don't think churches having soup kitchens is a bad thing, it's just they should go a step further than just providing some food.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It is a bad thing if it enables lazy people to not get a job!

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
deardelmar said:
I agree, to a point. But what about those who do not go to church?

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Lighthouse said:
I agree, to a point. But what about those who do not go to church?
I love ya man but you need to do what ever it takes to get a job.