Public Schools are Sin!

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
shilohproject said:

As to your question, no, I'm not familiar. Care to give me a reference?
Numbers 16
250 representatives of the congregation Gathered together against Moses...

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
kmoney said:
I'm sure deardelmar will go into more detail, but that is the basics of it so you can start reading those scriptures while you wait on dd.
No that will do,

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
shilohproject said:
Your suggestion in this matter might be more meaningful if you'd expound a little. As of this point I see very little of value in the OT systems of government.

Let's start with the fact an image of the stone tablets from the 10 commandments is on the wall of the supreme court of the US. This is a recognition of the fact the US legal system was based, at least in part, on the commandments of God. In fact four of the ten commandments were direct proclamations of criminal law.
You shall not murder
You shall not commit adultery
You shall not steal
You shall not bear false witness (perjury)
Let's put adultery aside for the moment. I'm sure that you will agree that murder, stealing and perjury, in a court of law, should all be against the law in all nations!

shilohproject
Do you know what the OT says should be the punishments for Murder,stealing and perjury

Last edited:

shilohproject

deardelmar said:
First off can I at least get you to concede...
Yes, but it is no real concession. I believe that road building is a fine job for the government. I was asking what you thought about it. I never suggested it should be otherwise. (Reading carefully, without assuming too much, is a good thing!):cool:

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
shilohproject said:

Yes, but it is no real concession. I believe that road building is a fine job for the government. I was asking what you thought about it. I never suggested it should be otherwise. (Reading carefully, without assuming too much, is a good thing!):cool:
I was just trying to get to a good starting point.

shilohproject

deardelmar said:
Let's start with the fact an image of the stone tablets from the 10 commandments is on the wall of the supreme court of the US. This is a recognition of the fact the US legal system was based, at least in part, on the commandments of God. In fact four of the ten commandments were direct proclamations of criminal law.
You shall not murder
You shall not commit adultery
You shall not steal
You shall not bear false witness (perjury)
Let's put adultery aside for the moment. I'm sure that you will agree that murder, stealing and perjury, in a court of law, should all be against the law in all nations!
Yes, but I'm waiting for an answer to the question about how you see the legitimate function of government, or do you support an OT sort of government in the US today, etc?

shilohproject
Do you know what the OT says should be the punishments for Murder,stealing and perjury
Yes. But could you try and stick to the issue?

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
shilohproject said:
Yes, but I'm waiting for an answer to the question about how you see the legitimate function of government, or do you support an OT sort of government in the US today, etc?

Yes. But could you try and stick to the issue?

What I am attemting to do is back up this statment.

deardelmar said:
I would suggest that you could learn much about the just function of government from the OT.
That is the issue that you suggested was of little value.
and you were the one talking about systems of government.
shilohproject said:
Your suggestion in this matter might be more meaningful if you'd expound a little. As of this point I see very little of value in the OT systems of government.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
shilohproject
Allow me to clarify where I am coming from. I have not been talking about systems of government but rather principles that can be learned from the OT that should apply to any just government.

shilohproject

deardelmar said:
shilohproject
Allow me to clarify where I am coming from. I have not been talking about systems of government but rather principles that can be learned from the OT that should apply to any just government.
Like what, in your estimation? You don't think the government should look out for needy children and provide them with food and an education, am I right?

shilohproject

deardelmar said:
What I am attemting to do is back up this statment.
The elements of the OT which you cited are directed to individuals, not government bodies, as I read them. So my question remains hanging in eager anticipation.:cool:

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
shilohproject said:
The elements of the OT which you cited are directed to individuals, not government bodies, as I read them. So my question remains hanging in eager anticipation.:cool:
Incorrect! As we talk, for example, about what should rightly be a crime and what should be the just punishment for each different crime, the subject becomes how the government should deal with that crime. The response of an individual is irrelevant to the topic!

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
shilohproject said:
Like what, in your estimation? You don't think the government should look out for needy children and provide them with food and an education, am I right?
This question puts the cart before the horse! Let's first discern if, as I have stated, there are principles that can be learned from the Old Testament that establish the just function of government, before we start deciding based on outcome. Could it be possible, for example, that there are situations when it is appropriate for the government to provide food for needy children and other situations where it is not appropriate?

shilohproject

deardelmar said:
Incorrect! As we talk, for example, about what should rightly be a crime and what should be the just punishment for each different crime, the subject becomes how the government should deal with that crime. The response of an individual is irrelevant to the topic!
Then get to your point! I presume it has something to do with punishing law breakers. Is that all you mean to offer?

shilohproject

deardelmar said:
Could it be possible, for example, that there are situations when it is appropriate for the government to provide food for needy children and other situations where it is not appropriate?
Appropriate? Yes.

Situations where it is not appropriate to provide food for needy children? I can't think of one. Can you?

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Untill I get some sleep it is. i sort of get the feeling your not going to be too open to what I have to say, but I'll give it a shot in the AM anyway.

shilohproject

deardelmar said:
Untill I get some sleep it is. i sort of get the feeling your not going to be too open to what I have to say, but I'll give it a shot in the AM anyway.
I'm pretty open minded. It is one of the cores of my life philosophy. What I don't understand is your (and others') resistance to helping those in need.

SOTK

Lighthouse said:
:bang:

Loving our neighbors as we love ourselves is not the government's position. It is our position as individuals. And letting the government do what it does in public schools is not loving our neighbors. And sending your kids to one is not loving your kids. So, how are you supposed to love your neighbors if you can't even love your kids? And I'm not implying that you don't have love for your kids, but love requires acts to be understood, and sending your kids to a public school is not an act of love. I don't even think sending them to a private school is an act of love.

What a load of crap! I'm gonna have to start putting you into the group of people around here I don't take seriously very much anymore.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
shilohproject said:
Appropriate? Yes.

Situations where it is not appropriate to provide food for needy children? I can't think of one. Can you?
You are right when you impy there is never a situation when it is appropriate to let children starve. There are, however, plenty of situations where it is not appropriate for the government to provide it!