UK Deaths At 20,732 10% Of ALL Global Fatalities

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Johnson's announcement was made based on data from April 29.

It's been a bad three days since his prediction:

Daily New Cases in the United Kingdom

ok doser

If this had been Trump's announcement and data from the US, eider, artie and jgarden would have been cackling with glee.

chair - still think I'm gloating?

chair

In the US, that falls directly and most immediately at the feet of DeBlasio, NYC Councilman Stein, Nancy Pelosi and other irresponsible idiots on the left who urged people to ignore Trump's warnings

It falls directly at the feet of Andrew Cuomo who didn't mobilize the New York National Guard and put NYC in immediate lockdown when it became clear they were going to disregard prudent warnings

Then and only then, it falls at the feet of Trump who didn't declare a state of emergency for NYC and declare martial law.

Now, tell me where, where EXACTLY in the timeline those drastic and unprecedented actions by either Cuomo or Trump would have been acceptable political solutions?

I'm not playing your games. There is a pandemic. Some countries did poorly in handling it, yours included. I am saying this from a country of about 10 million, which has had 229 corona virus deaths. I am saying this as an American citizen. So your standard ugly childish defenses are irrelevant to me.

There are several contributing factors in the US:
  1. Decentralized government system, that makes a coordinated response nearly impossible
  2. Fractured health care system
  3. Lack of universal health care
  4. and yes- poor leadership on the part of President Donald Trump.
The US needed good leadership to overcome it's basic structural problems. It didn't have it. Example? Travel restrictions from China got implemented February 2. Travel restrictions from Europe only on March 13. Italy had already been in lockdown for a while then- first northern provinces, then the entire country. Meanwhile, The President was claiming that things were just fine, nothing to worry about. Poor leadership- and zero ability to admit that he made some wrong calls.

Who suffers from this? Americans do. And so does the rest of the free world.

chair

OK

Orangemanbad it is :sigh:

No. I don't have blind hatred for Mr. Trump. edit: note that I listed several reasons why the US is having trouble. President Trump's failings only appears as #4.
It is telling that you spend so much time attacking the people who criticize him, rather than dealing with facts.

ok doser

I am saying this from a country of about 10 million, which has had 229 corona virus deaths.

One of the metrics that's useful in comparing nations of different sizes is the "Deaths/1M pop" count, found here

Let's compare a few countries

Israel: 26

Taiwan: 0.3

South Korea: 5

Germany: 81

Canada: 94

Trump's USA: 89

Italy: 475

UK: 414

Spain: 537

France: 379

So, a few things jump out:

Israel is nothing to brag about, compared to Taiwan and South Korea.

The 7 US states with the lowest death rates, ranging from 11 to 24, have an aggregate population of 10.91 million.

I see no indication that Universal Health Care plays a role.

And Trump's USA, as I've been saying all along, fares about as well as Merkel's Germany and Trudeau's Canada.

And Italy, Spain, France and the UK are in a class of their own. :(

chair

One of the metrics that's useful in comparing nations of different sizes is the "Deaths/1M pop" count, found here

Let's compare a few countries

Israel: 26

Taiwan: 0.3

South Korea: 5

Germany: 81

Canada: 94

Trump's USA: 89

Italy: 475

UK: 414

Spain: 537

France: 379

So, a few things jump out:

Israel is nothing to brag about, compared to Taiwan and South Korea.

The 7 US states with the lowest death rates, ranging from 11 to 24, have an aggregate population of 10.91 million.

I see no indication that Universal Health Care plays a role.

And Trump's USA, as I've been saying all along, fares about as well as Merkel's Germany and Trudeau's Canada.

And Italy, Spain, France and the UK are in a class of their own. :(

How old are you?
I'm not bragging. I was deflecting your expected personal attacks.

To the point: how many people died yesterday in the US from this virus? How many in Greece? In Israel? In Austria? Acting fast and hard can bring this under control. Pretending it's not serious and blaming the Chinese won't do the trick.

ok doser

How old are you?

I actually got back out of bed last night to put that together on my laptop, so pretty old and half asleep

OK - thought experiment

You wake up tomorrow in Trump's skin - half the country hates you with a visceral hatred and will resist anything you do or say, the other half is champing at the bit to get back to normal.

What does your first day look like?

eta: no, you can't invent a time machine - you can only go forward, with the information you have now

chair

I actually got back out of bed last night to put that together on my laptop, so pretty old and half asleep

OK - thought experiment

You wake up tomorrow in Trump's skin - half the country hates you with a visceral hatred and will resist anything you do or say, the other half is champing at the bit to get back to normal.

What does your first day look like?

eta: no, you can't invent a time machine - you can only go forward, with the information you have now

I wake up in Trumps skin. I think "Oh no- now what? I'm in way over my head!". Then I keep those thoughts to myself, tweet something positive about myself, deny what I said last week, and go on with life.

Now, if you ask what the US should do today, not what Donald Trump would do, that is a different question. To a large extent, the damage of mismanagement at all levels has been already been done.

ok doser

I wake up in Trumps skin. I think "Oh no- now what? I'm in way over my head!". Then I keep those thoughts to myself, tweet something positive about myself, deny what I said last week, and go on with life.

Now, if you ask what the US should do today, not what Donald Trump would do, that is a different question. To a large extent, the damage of mismanagement at all levels has been already been done.

take your time, no rush, I have the coffee on, I'm fueling up the leaf blower, it's a beautiful sunny day - I'll be back later

the first ten executive orders you will issue

the first ten bullet points of your first press conference

chair

take your time, no rush, I have the coffee on, I'm fueling up the leaf blower, it's a beautiful sunny day - I'll be back later

the first ten executive orders you will issue

the first ten bullet points of your first press conference

What I am reading in between the lines is that "yeah, this was screwed up, but let's not admit it, and ask some guy I met on the internet who doesn't know all the details of how the US government works to put together a plan today, that will fix what's already happened."

So I'm glad you're at least admitting that it was handled poorly until now.

Next, I'll remind you of the following post I wrote:

1. Decentralized government system, that makes a coordinated response nearly impossible

ok doser

A bad day yesterday for Italy and a very good day today for UK. Italy retains its grip on second place.

India's at 18 and Russia has slipped to 21, pushed aside by Peru and Ireland of all places.

chair

A bad day yesterday for Italy and a very good day today for UK. Italy retains its grip on second place.

India's at 18 and Russia has slipped to 21, pushed aside by Peru and Ireland of all places.

You really do view this as an international sport.
Personally, I am not into spectator sports. Nor do I enjoy seeing "others" suffer.

Have a nice day.

Gary K

Banned
What I am reading in between the lines is that "yeah, this was screwed up, but let's not admit it, and ask some guy I met on the internet who doesn't know all the details of how the US government works to put together a plan today, that will fix what's already happened."

So I'm glad you're at least admitting that it was handled poorly until now.

Next, I'll remind you of the following post I wrote:

In other words, the failure of the US is that it's not enough like communist China.

How is it that even with the list you gave which the UK does your numbers are worse per capita: Your suggestions are a complete failure and you can't recognize it. You're so brainwashed you can't recognize just how bad those ideas are as they lead to failures like what is happening in your nation. The more centralized a government is the less agile it becomes and less ability it has to respond to changing conditions. The UK and Italy have the most government control of healthcare as shown by the government funding percentages of the health care systems in the EU and end up with the worst statistics in all of the EU. Just a small bit of critical thinking would lead you to some startling, for you, conclusions.

ok doser

Your suggestions are a complete failure ...

He never made any suggestions - I asked for the first ten executive orders he'd give if he were Trump and the first ten bullet points in his first press conference

His response? Invent a time machine (which I predicted)

ok doser

A sad but inevitable day for the UK, the total death count passed that of Italy.

11.4% of the world total.

A death rate more than 5x that of Trump's America.

Comment from Arthur Brain ?

eider ?