Trump Says He 'Needs God Even More' as President (Who can argue with that?)

rexlunae

let's say i'm just starting out (i'm not a full time manager, i'm a working manager) and my take-home is barely covering my living expenses - every bit of profit is going into maintaining the business

Then you're probably not a full-time manager. You probably also don't have three employees.

if i cut my take-home, the business fails

You have three employees. You make money from them working while you play solitaire on your computer. Otherwise, why did you hire them? You're telling me you didn't build in any margin?

how much of a price increase can i expect my customers to bear?

Impossible to say. You'll have to experiment.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
ok, looks like neither of you are actually interested in discussing this

i'll wait for a grownup to join the discussion :wave2:

glassjester

What if those other two employees (the ones you had to lay off) come back and beg for their jobs back? They say they need the money, they'd be happy to work for ten dollars an hour. You'd be happy to pay them ten dollars an hour.

But the government says no.

The government just made it illegal to get paid 10 bucks an hour, even if you want to.

Why should the government have the right to do that?

glassjester

Should the government set a minimum price on everything someone sells in a store?
If not, then why should they set a minimum price at which I may sell my labor?

quip

BANNED
Banned
Should the government set a minimum price on everything someone sells in a store?
If not, then why should they set a minimum price at which I may sell my labor?

Both are reflective upon profit. As such, wages tend to stagnate, prices average out.

glassjester

in my example it put two thirds of the work force on welfare

Yes, and the government wouldn't let two thirds of the employees sell their labor for 10 dollars an hour, even if they wanted to.

That would seem to be the biggest problem with the situation.

rexlunae

You're setting up a marginal and improbable business as your example, overstated the impact on the cost, and basing policy on that example alone. You know what matters a lot more? The workers in fast food and retail trying to scrape by on starvation wages. There are a lot more of them than your hypothetical shoestring hobby lawn-mowing business.