ECT Ps 89: too much about Christ to be about David

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
1 Kings 9 makes it abundantly clear that all these promises to David were continent on his sons and grandsons keeping God's law and not chasing foreign gods.

[1Ki 9:4-7 KJV] 4 And if thou wilt walk before me, as David thy father walked, in integrity of heart, and in uprightness, to do according to all that I have commanded thee, [and] wilt keep my statutes and my judgments: 5 Then I will establish the throne of thy kingdom upon Israel for ever, as I promised to David thy father, saying, There shall not fail thee a man upon the throne of Israel. 6 [But] if ye shall at all turn from following me, ye or your children, and will not keep my commandments [and] my statutes which I have set before you, but go and serve other gods, and worship them: 7 Then will I cut off Israel out of the land which I have given them; and this house, which I have hallowed for my name, will I cast out of my sight; and Israel shall be a proverb and a byword among all people:

It would appear that the court historians forgot to mention that detail when they wrote about it in Samuel/Chronicles. Politics at their finest.

So....did David's greater Son, Jesus of Nazareth, walk in perfection before GOD or not?

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Who is James speaking of here in "bold"?:

"After this I will return, and will build again the tabernacle of David, which is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up: That the residue of men might seek after the Lord, and all the Gentiles, upon whom my name is called, saith the Lord, who doeth all these things"
(Acts 15:16).​

The Greek word translated "I will return" is in the "future" tense.

It is a quote from the OT, that is why.

The Jews thought the Glory would return and fill the OT temple which is why the Jews thought to so beautify it as if God could care as idolaters do.

The first event of the return was at Jesus baptism, but that resulted in His return to the NT temple of the 120, the first of the bride of Christ.

LA

Danoh

1 Kings 9 makes it abundantly clear that all these promises to David were continent on his sons and grandsons keeping God's law and not chasing foreign gods.

[1Ki 9:4-7 KJV] 4 And if thou wilt walk before me, as David thy father walked, in integrity of heart, and in uprightness, to do according to all that I have commanded thee, [and] wilt keep my statutes and my judgments: 5 Then I will establish the throne of thy kingdom upon Israel for ever, as I promised to David thy father, saying, There shall not fail thee a man upon the throne of Israel. 6 [But] if ye shall at all turn from following me, ye or your children, and will not keep my commandments [and] my statutes which I have set before you, but go and serve other gods, and worship them: 7 Then will I cut off Israel out of the land which I have given them; and this house, which I have hallowed for my name, will I cast out of my sight; and Israel shall be a proverb and a byword among all people:

It would appear that the court historians forgot to mention that detail when they wrote about it in Samuel/Chronicles. Politics at their finest.

There is something you guys EVER appear oblivious of.

The witness of the following...

Exodus 32:9 And the LORD said unto Moses, I have seen this people, and, behold, it is a stiffnecked people: 32:10 Now therefore let me alone, that my wrath may wax hot against them, and that I may consume them: and I will make of thee a great nation. 32:11 And Moses besought the LORD his God, and said, LORD, why doth thy wrath wax hot against thy people, which thou hast brought forth out of the land of Egypt with great power, and with a mighty hand? 32:12 Wherefore should the Egyptians speak, and say, For mischief did he bring them out, to slay them in the mountains, and to consume them from the face of the earth? Turn from thy fierce wrath, and repent of this evil against thy people. 32:13 Remember Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, thy servants, to whom thou swarest by thine own self, and saidst unto them, I will multiply your seed as the stars of heaven, and all this land that I have spoken of will I give unto your seed, and they shall inherit it for ever. 32:14 And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people.

Romans 9:6 Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel: 9:7 Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called. 9:8 That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed. 9:9 For this is the word of promise, At this time will I come, and Sarah shall have a son. 9:10 And not only this; but when Rebecca also had conceived by one, even by our father Isaac; 9:11 (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth; )

That "children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil - THAT the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth;" as an everlasting principle was obviously still the case in Paul's day, many, many centuries later.

THIS is what you guys continually fail to consider - the ISRAELITE principle of "the purpose of God according to election."

Malachi 3:6 For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

Or as that writer writing to the HEBREWS also put it...

Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Jerry Shugart

It is a quote from the OT, that is why.

Then show me where this is found in the OT:

"After this I will return, and will build again the tabernacle of David, which is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up: That the residue of men might seek after the Lord, and all the Gentiles, upon whom my name is called, saith the Lord, who doeth all these things"
(Acts 15:16).​

Jerry Shugart

The tent of David was not the permanent residence of the Lord.

It was temporary in type as also it is now.

You have not figured that have you.

As soon as David became king of Israel he sought to bring the Ark of the Covenant back to the people, since that Ark was where the Lord was present. He then built a tabernacle or tent where he could place the Ark:

"And David made him houses in the city of David, and prepared a place for the ark of God, and pitched for it a tent"
(1 Chron. 15: 1).​

We can understand that the "tabernacle of David" is in regard to the "throne" on which the Lord Jesus will sit when He sets up the kingdom on earth:

"And in mercy shall the throne be established: and He shall sit upon it in truth in the tabernacle of David, judging, and seeking judgment, and hasting righteousness" (Isa.16:5).​

We can also understand that the tabernacle will be set up in the "midst" of the children of Israel:

"My tabernacle also shall be with them: yea, I will be their God, and they shall be my people. And the heathen shall know that I the LORD do sanctify Israel, when my sanctuary shall be in the midst of them for evermore" (Ez.37:27,28).​

The Lord Jesus will reign while sitting on David's throne from Jerusalem:

"Then the moon shall be confounded, and the sun ashamed, when the LORD of hosts shall reign in mount Zion, and in Jerusalem, and before his ancients gloriously" (Isa.24:23).

The Lord's sanctuary is not yet set up in the "midst" of Israel so it is evident that these prophecies concerning Israel have not yet been fulfilled.

Jerry Shugart

The Davidic dynasty was interrupted for centuries because of the unfaithfulness of the people. It started with the Babylonian captivity but it will be restored when the Lord Jesus will sit on David's throne in the future:

"His seed also will I make to endure for ever, and his throne as the days of heaven. If his children forsake my law, and walk not in my judgments; If they break my statutes, and keep not my commandments; Then will I visit their transgression with the rod, and their iniquity with stripes. Nevertheless my lovingkindness will I not utterly take from him, nor suffer my faithfulness to fail. My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips. Once have I sworn by my holiness that I will not lie unto David. His seed shall endure for ever, and his throne as the sun before me. It shall be established for ever as the moon, and as a faithful witness in heaven" (Ps.89:29-37).​

Wick Stick

Tent, throne, or chariot?

A lot of translations have throne of David. The Hebrew word there means covering, though, so those saying tent probably are onto something.

The Greek LXX has thronou, which was transliterated rather than translated. To the Greeks, a thronos was a moveable chair - more chariot than chair.

Anybody else find it curious that God would promise to "plant and not pluck up" by raising up a tent or chariot - items which are made to be moved?

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Right.
GOD specified the land and GOD specified the throne, both of which were earthly, not heavenly.

No evil wicked person has ever sat on the throne of GOD.
But evil wicked men did sit on the throne of David.

:thumb:

Exactly!!!

In the beginning the LORD created the earth and the heavens:

Pro 3:19 The LORD by wisdom hath founded the earth; by understanding hath he established the heavens.

The LORD then established His throne in the heavens and rules universally over all His creation from there.

Psa 103:19 The LORD hath prepared his throne in the heavens; and his kingdom ruleth over all.

Christ ascended after His resurrection to sit on that throne in the heavens...the Father's throne.

Mar 16:19 So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.

Heb 8:1 Now of the things which we have spoken this is the sum: We have such an high priest, who is set on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens;

Here Christ refers to the Father's throne in which He now sits in the heavens, and contrasts it with His throne of the future which is distinct from the Father's throne and shared with these believers. The Father's throne in the heavens is not shared with anyone but Christ.

Rev 3:21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

David's throne was established on earth about a thousand years before Christ's earthly sojourn. In contrast, the Father's throne was established in the heavens at the beginning of creation. Nowhere is GOD's throne in the heavens called David's throne.

2Sa 3:10 To translate the kingdom from the house of Saul, and to set up the throne of David over Israel and over Judah, from Dan even to Beersheba.

Isa 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
Isa 9:7 Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.

Some folks think they can thwart the performance of the zeal of the LORD by changing the definition of His words. That's a diabolical(devilish) scheme.

The angel Gabriel assures Mary that her Son will be given the throne of David and that He will reign over the house of Jacob/Israel forever:

Luk 1:31 And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS.
Luk 1:32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:
Luk 1:33 And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.

The Lord Jesus declares that He will sit on His throne(not the Father's) at His second coming to earth and from there will judge the nations according to how they treated His brethren.

Mat 24:30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

Mat 25:31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
Mat 25:32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:

Last edited:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
:thumb:

Exactly!!!

In the beginning the LORD created the earth and the heavens:

Pro 3:19 The LORD by wisdom hath founded the earth; by understanding hath he established the heavens.

The LORD then established His throne in the heavens and rules universally over all His creation from there.

Psa 103:19 The LORD hath prepared his throne in the heavens; and his kingdom ruleth over all.

Christ ascended after His resurrection to sit on that throne in the heavens...the Father's throne.

Mar 16:19 So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.

Heb 8:1 Now of the things which we have spoken this is the sum: We have such an high priest, who is set on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens;

Here Christ refers to the Father's throne in which He now sits in the heavens, and contrasts it with His throne of the future which is distinct from the Father's throne and shared with these believers. The Father's throne in the heavens is not shared with anyone but Christ.

Rev 3:21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

David's throne was established on earth about a thousand years before Christ's earthly sojourn. In contrast, the Father's throne was established in the heavens at the beginning of creation. Nowhere is GOD's throne in the heavens called David's throne.

2Sa 3:10 To translate the kingdom from the house of Saul, and to set up the throne of David over Israel and over Judah, from Dan even to Beersheba.

Isa 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
Isa 9:7 Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.

Some folks think they can thwart the performance of the zeal of the LORD by changing the definition of His words. That's a diabolical(devilish) scheme.

The angel Gabriel assures Mary that her Son will be given the throne of David and that He will reign over the house of Jacob/Israel forever:

Luk 1:31 And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS.
Luk 1:32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:
Luk 1:33 And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.

The Lord Jesus declares that He will sit on His throne(not the Father's) at His second coming to earth and from there will judge the nations according to how they treated His brethren.

Mat 24:30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

Mat 25:31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
Mat 25:32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
Excellent, brother Steko!

Interplanner

Excellent, brother Steko!

hey literalists, the davidic throne ends with the collapse of the millenium anyway, in your view. so much for forever.

mt 25 is the current enthronement which endures on through the NHNE, and anyway its his throne. its in heaven, it is not davidic in the sense you are using, so at least be consistent.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
hey literalists, the davidic throne ends with the collapse of the millenium anyway, in your view.

Nope, not in my view. I believe GOD.
You're the one who exchange His words for schemes of your own imagination.

so much for forever.

Well, it's nothing new that you'd deny what GOD says.

2Sa 7:16 And thine house and thy kingdom shall be established for ever before thee: thy throne shall be established for ever.

2Sa 7:24 For thou hast confirmed to thyself thy people Israel to be a people unto thee for ever: and thou, LORD, art become their God.

mt 25 is the current enthronement which endures on through the NHNE, and anyway its his throne. its in heaven, it is not davidic in the sense you are using, so at least be consistent.

It's plainly His second coming to earth in harmony with prophetic scripture and it's clearly not the Father's throne in heaven.
Christ will judge the nations when He takes the throne of His glory, the one promised on earth at His second coming.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
As soon as David became king of Israel he sought to bring the Ark of the Covenant back to the people, since that Ark was where the Lord was present. He then built a tabernacle or tent where he could place the Ark:

"And David made him houses in the city of David, and prepared a place for the ark of God, and pitched for it a tent"
(1 Chron. 15: 1).​

We can understand that the "tabernacle of David" is in regard to the "throne" on which the Lord Jesus will sit when He sets up the kingdom on earth:

"And in mercy shall the throne be established: and He shall sit upon it in truth in the tabernacle of David, judging, and seeking judgment, and hasting righteousness" (Isa.16:5).​

We can also understand that the tabernacle will be set up in the "midst" of the children of Israel:

"My tabernacle also shall be with them: yea, I will be their God, and they shall be my people. And the heathen shall know that I the LORD do sanctify Israel, when my sanctuary shall be in the midst of them for evermore" (Ez.37:27,28).​

The Lord Jesus will reign while sitting on David's throne from Jerusalem:

"Then the moon shall be confounded, and the sun ashamed, when the LORD of hosts shall reign in mount Zion, and in Jerusalem, and before his ancients gloriously" (Isa.24:23).

The Lord's sanctuary is not yet set up in the "midst" of Israel so it is evident that these prophecies concerning Israel have not yet been fulfilled.

Christ returns in the Heavenly City which is Zion.

He will not come out of it forever.

What you have to do is find out how that you may enter that Heavenly City.

Rev 21:2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
Rev 21:3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.
Rev 21:4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
Rev 21:5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.
Rev 21:6 And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.
Rev 21:7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.
Rev 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

LA