ARCHIVE: The Apostle Pauls affirms that a Christian can sin.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Sozo said:
Did you read the other post where I discussed this? There is no such thing.
This is a little more difficult to discuss with you because you don't believe Christians sin at all. I need someone who believes Christians sin......

Newman

Sozo said:
Did you read the other post where I discussed this? There is no such thing.
Just because you don't believe it exists, doesn't mean you can't give kmoney your definition of what it is.

I don't believe in the Loch Ness Monster or Sasquatch, but I could explain to people what they are.

Sozo

kmoney said:
This is a little more difficult to discuss with you because you don't believe Christians sin at all. I need someone who believes Christians sin......

Even if they can sin, there is no such thing as a license to sin.

If there was, it would be called confession for forgiveness.

Newman

Sozo said:

I can see where you are coming from...

EDIT: a little bit

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Sozo said:

But see, I contend that what many Christians believe do give them a license to sin. For example, a Christian belives they can sin but they also believe all their sins (past, present, future) are covered/forgiven by Christ's sacrifice. Wouldn't the logical conclusion be that they can sin all the day long and it's ok because of what Christ did?? How is that not a license to sin?? :idunno:

Sozo

jrnewma1 said:
post judgement day
No, my friend. Salvation is life. We are made holy, righteous, blameless, complete, perfect, when we receive His life. As a new creation, we have been given EVERYTHING pertaining to life and godliness. As He is, so also are we in this world. The body is dead, because of sin, but the spirit is alive, because of righteousness.

Got to watch the game now! I'll check back in at commercials. :D

Newman

kmoney said:
But see, I contend that what many Christians believe do give them a license to sin. For example, a Christian belives they can sin but they also believe all their sins (past, present, future) are covered/forgiven by Christ's sacrifice. Wouldn't the logical conclusion be that they can sin all the day long and it's ok because of what Christ did?? How is that not a license to sin?? :idunno:
Scripture:

Galatians 5:13-18 (TNIV)
13 You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another humbly in love. 14 For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: "Love your neighbor as yourself." 15 If you keep on biting and devouring each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other.
16 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. 17 For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

I thought this might apply here.

Sozo

jrnewma1 said:
Scripture:

Galatians 5:13-18 (TNIV)
13 You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another humbly in love. 14 For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: "Love your neighbor as yourself." 15 If you keep on biting and devouring each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other.
16 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. 17 For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

I thought this might apply here.

Check This post out.

Newman

kmoney said:
Apply how exactly?
I think that it could satisfy both you and Sozo. It says that all Christians actually do have a license to sin, but because all Christians are in the Spirit, they won't just go around whatever they want to do.

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that the only difference between you and Sozo is that you call the subject in question "sin", and Sozo calls it "pre-forgiven mis-deeds" (correct me if I am wrong Sozo, please).

Sozo

As you continue to read, the "deeds" of the flesh are evident when someone is under the Law. Why? Because they are the only things that the flesh can produce.

The fruit of the Spirit is contray to the flesh. A Christian is in the Spirit, not in the flesh.

elected4ever

There is no unforgiven sin. All sins have been covered by the blood of Christ. It is not that we are sinners it is that we are dead. All men born in Adam are dead because of Adam's sin. All men do not commit the same sin that Adam did but all men are as dead as Adam and commit there own sin. All sin committed by Every man is paid for by Christ and life is offered to every man that believes.

Having all sins covered and paid for does not prevent man from acting in his deadness. The Law was added so that man could see his sin (deeds done in the deadness that man is). The Law did its work and the administration of law, dispensation of law, came to an end at the Resurrection of Christ. We are now in the Administration of Grace, Dispensation of Grace, sense the Resurrection of Christ Jesus. No one was ever saved by law and no one will ever be saved by law.

If you believe that all sins, yours included, are covered by the blood of Jesus and Jesus has risen to give new life then you will be saved. You can believe that your sins are forgiven but it is not the forgiveness of sins that saves. It is believing in the resurrected Christ.

Newman

Sozo said:
As you continue to read, the "deeds" of the flesh are evident when someone is under the Law. Why? Because they are the only things that the flesh can produce.

The fruit of the Spirit is contray to the flesh. A Christian is in the Spirit, not in the flesh.
ok, how about "things done according to the law that are unnecessary because we are Christian" instead of "pre-forgiven mis-deeds"?

Sozo

jrnewma1 said:
ok, how about "things done according to the law that are unnecessary because we are Christian" instead of "pre-forgiven mis-deeds"?

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying.

Newman

elected4ever said:
There is no unforgiven sin.
And what of blasphemy?
No one was ever saved by law and no one will ever be saved by law.
And what of the people that lived and died before Christ took away our sin?
If you believe that all sins, yours included, are covered by the blood of Jesus and Jesus has risen to give new life then you will be saved. You can believe that your sins are forgiven but it is not the forgiveness of sins that saves. It is believing in the resurrected Christ.
Nicely put.

Newman

Sozo said:
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying.
yeah, sorry. my bad

uh

What I'm trying to say is that (based on scripture in Galatians) you and kmoney were just calling the same action different names; kmoney calls it "sin" and you call it "things that Christians do that are according to the law, which is unnecessary because Christians are free from the law".

I think that's what I'm trying to say.

Sozo

jrnewma1 said:
yeah, sorry. my bad

uh

What I'm trying to say is that (based on scripture in Galatians) you and kmoney were just calling the same action different names; kmoney calls it "sin" and you call it "things that Christians do that are according to the law, which is unnecessary because Christians are free from the law".

I think that's what I'm trying to say.

Did you read my commentary I linked on Galatians 5?

It is true that the things that the Law proved as sin, are the same deeds that Paul instructs us not to participate in throughtout the NT. There is no more sacrifice for sin. Not shed blood, and not confession.