The Clock Ticks (Ahmed Mohamed's clock bomb)

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

He doesnt deserve anything, he even admitted he enjoyed the experience (of arrest) and it was "cool" on a talk show.

Doesnt look like suffering anything to me.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Him and his family had a big laugh and he is currently getting a free scholarship across seas.

The media played it out in the typical politically correct fashion- poor Muslim under false accusation..

The reality is that they played America like a fiddle. It was intended- you don't 'accidentally' make a briefcase bomb_

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Obama did say, "See something, say something." Of course we now know that wasn't meant to apply to Muslims. Or to Syrians. Or to Mexicans. Or to blacks. Or to leftists. Or...

I don't think the complaint here is that the teacher thought it was suspicious and said something. The problem, as I understand it, is that even after they determined it wasn't a bomb they accused him of making a 'hoax bomb' even though he didn't act at any point as if it was a bomb. What was the hoax? Did he ever pretend it was a bomb? :idunno:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I don't think the complaint here is that the teacher thought it was suspicious and said something. The problem, as I understand it, is that even after they determined it wasn't a bomb they accused him of making a 'hoax bomb' even though he didn't act at any point as if it was a bomb. What was the hoax? Did he ever pretend it was a bomb? :idunno:

you don't have a clue, do you?

musterion

I don't think the complaint here is that the teacher thought it was suspicious and said something.

The boy himself said it was suspicious (see below). If he thought so, so would others. And the point with the school is, it was still required to be reported because it was suspicious (also see below).

The problem, as I understand it, is that even after they determined it wasn't a bomb they accused him of making a 'hoax bomb' even though he didn't act at any point as if it was a bomb. What was the hoax?
You're asking the wrong question. What was it about the "clock" that he admitted was suspicious?

Did he ever pretend it was a bomb? :idunno:
Did he need to?

1. He knew it was suspicious and tried to make it look less so. Why would a kid with only an innocent love of amateur horology in his heart even think it looked suspicious?

2. Read the Texas law for yourself:

(a) A person commits an offense if the person knowingly manufactures, sells, purchases, transports, or possesses a hoax bomb with intent to use the hoax bomb to:

(1) make another believe that the hoax bomb is an explosive or incendiary device; or

(2) cause alarm or reaction of any type by an official of a public safety agency or volunteer agency organized to deal with emergencies.

(b) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
Given that he knew it was suspicious looking from the get go but brought it to school anyway, he broke the law just like his sister had done.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Read the Texas law for yourself:

Quote:

(a) A person commits an offense if the person knowingly manufactures, sells, purchases, transports, or possesses a hoax bomb with intent to use the hoax bomb to:

(1) make another believe that the hoax bomb is an explosive or incendiary device; or

(2) cause alarm or reaction of any type by an official of a public safety agency or volunteer agency organized to deal with emergencies.

(b) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
Given that he knew it was suspicious looking from the get go but brought it to school anyway, he broke the law just like his sister had done.
You're adorable--thinking we enforce the law (2 Thess. 2:7, 8).
thpinch.gif

kmoney

Hall of Fame
The boy himself said it was suspicious (see below). If he thought so, so would others. And the point with the school is, it was still required to be reported because it was suspicious (also see below).

You're asking the wrong question. What was it about the "clock" that he admitted was suspicious?

Did he need to?

1. He knew it was suspicious and tried to make it look less so. Why would a kid with only an innocent love of amateur horology in his heart even think it looked suspicious?

If you're trying for a hoax bomb then making it look less like a bomb seems counter-productive. :plain:

2. Read the Texas law for yourself:

No, he didn't break that law because he didn't do 1) or 2). He did nothing to indicate he wanted anyone to think it was a bomb. Your link is evidence that he was doing the opposite of a hoax bomb. What do you think he was really trying to do?

musterion

If you're trying for a hoax bomb then making it look less like a bomb seems counter-productive. :plain:

Yet that's exactly what he did, knowing it still resembled something people could mistake for a bomb.

No, he didn't break that law because he didn't do 1) or 2). He did nothing to indicate he wanted anyone to think it was a bomb.
The teacher he showed it to warned him to keep it hidden because it looked suspicious. He showed it anyway.

Your link is evidence that he was doing the opposite of a hoax bomb. What do you think he was really trying to do?
He was trying to spook and unnerve people, and it worked.

Based upon previous reports, he showed his supposed invention to an engineering teacher in the morning. Who subsequently warned him that the device looked suspicious and not to show it to anybody else. Apparently rather than heed his warning, according to reports, he then showed his invention to teachers in the next six classes who voiced similar concerns to him. In the sixth period he apparently, without the English teachers knowledge plugged the device into the wall with the intent to set off the timer on the device.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=801_1443042484

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Yet that's exactly what he did, knowing it still resembled something people could mistake for a bomb.

The teacher he showed it to warned him to keep it hidden because it looked suspicious. He showed it anyway.

He was trying to spook and unnerve people, and it worked.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=801_1443042484

That shows he was a foolish kid who disobeyed his teachers, I don't think it's enough to show he intended to do either 1) or 2) in that law. Certainly not 1). You could try to argue 2) but I'd still disagree. It would rely completely on the appearance of the device since he never acted or spoke about causing alarm. I can't say with certainty that he didn't secretly hope that the device appearance would cause alarm, but I don't think you've met the burden of proof.

WizardofOz

That shows he was a foolish kid who disobeyed his teachers, I don't think it's enough to show he intended to do either 1) or 2) in that law. Certainly not 1). You could try to argue 2) but I'd still disagree. It would rely completely on the appearance of the device since he never acted or spoke about causing alarm. I can't say with certainty that he didn't secretly hope that the device appearance would cause alarm, but I don't think you've met the burden of proof.

Having children myself, I am glad when teachers err on the side of caution whenever actual harm is possible (as opposed to pop tart or finger 'guns' kids get expelled for). Once it turned out that it was indeed harmless, no harm done but I certainly don't mind having the kid detained until they determined everything was ok.

Does the kid deserve a single penny from the school or state via lawsuit? :nono:

The whole thing should be dropped. He didn't get in any trouble and the school shouldn't have to pay a penny to him either.

brewmama

What do you think the point was of taking a clock apart and putting it in a case with a timer device?

SalemCat

I am very curious to see how Ahmed's Family fares in their new land. It is rare for any person to change completely, even when they wish to.

The Father is a hot-head, who ruffles feathers everywhere he goes. Will it be long before he runs afoul of Qatar's Muslim Monarchy ?

Ahmed is, at the very least, a bit hyper (if not an outright brat). Will his antics amuse his new Teachers, or annoy them ? From what I can gather, Corporal Punishment is not entirely legal, but when it is administered authorities look the other way.

And his Sisters ? Qatar, I expect, is a very different experience for them. Are females even allowed education in this "Muslim Paradise"?

As far as Racism goes, the Asian Workers brought to Qatar live as 3rd-Class Citizens. If Ahmed is nearly as clever as some claim, he is now able to witness what Genuine Racsim looks like.

On the same note, I see no evidence that Ahmed is in any way "gifted". I've watched all the vidoes, and he says many things that may be expected from a 5 year-old. But Ahmed is 14 ! Quite nearly a Man in many cultures.

If Ahmed truly believes he "Invented" a Clock, and I fear he does, it seems to me he is not at all gifted, but is actually deficient.

SalemCat

What do you think the point was of taking a clock apart and putting it in a case with a timer device?

Honestly, I believe Ahmed was proud of his "accomplishment".

And when he repeated "It's a Clock" "It's a Clock", I don't believe he was being difficult. That it was a Clock is his entire understanding of the mechanism.

Let us not ignore the fact his parents have refused to release his Grades.

Now Grade Inflation is a universal condition in the USA these days, so straight A's could be expected from even poor students.

Which makes it all the stranger the Grades are kept hidden.

BTW, BHO has never released his, either. That should tell you something.