Shooting at SC Church During Bible Study - Suspect still at large

Granite

Hall of Fame
How many have there been now?

And guess what's changed? When it comes to guns, nothing. That people are now having a discussion about removing a symbol of racism and hate is better late than never...but it's pretty pathetic it took nine massacred black folks in a church killed by a reb-flag-waving maniac for us to get to this point.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And guess what's changed?
You've found traction for your whine about a flag.

When it comes to guns, nothing.
The guns environment the liberal agenda created is partly responsible for the problem. You want to make it worse.

That people are now having a discussion about removing a symbol of racism and hate is better late than never...but it's pretty pathetic it took nine massacred black folks in a church killed by a reb-flag-waving maniac for us to get to this point.

And meanwhile, you ignore justice.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
And meanwhile, you ignore justice.

No one is ignoring justice.

Dylan Roof will stand before a jury of his peers and be sentenced for his crimes. Justice will be served.

In the meantime, the flag that Dylan Roof used as a symbol of racial hatred still flies on government property in S.C.

These murders by Roof have brought attention to how the Confederate Flag symbolizes hate and racism.

Granite

Hall of Fame
No one is ignoring justice.

Dylan Roof will stand before a jury of his peers and be sentenced for his crimes. Justice will be served.

In the meantime, the flag that Dylan Roof used as a symbol of racial hatred still flies on government property in S.C.

These murders by Roof have brought attention to how the Confederate Flag symbolizes hate and racism.

Let's be extremely charitable and meet the rebs halfway.

Let's say the rebel flag did indeed originally symbolize nothing else--nothing else--but heroism, valor, gallantry, and noble soldiers both fallen and returned. The rebel flag was in this scenario nothing more than a symbol of a failed nation's dream and its decent, upstanding warriors.

Wouldn't it be fair to say that--at best--this symbol originally intended as an icon for heroism was appropriated by those who (perhaps) misunderstood its intent, perverted its meaning, and subsequently turned this flag into something other than its original intent?

Could we not agree that certain symbols are in fact beyond repair and beyond the pale?

Again: This is far more charitable than what I believe to be actual reality, but I'm floating this as a thought experiment.

Granite

Hall of Fame
This HERE is the best explanation I have read so far

A new kind of religion. Well, that does explain it...and make its own kind of sense. Heroes; villains; artifacts; sacred places; relics; lore; myth mixed with history; the promise of a righteous return.

Southern Gothic indeed and creepy as hell.

GuySmiley

Let's say the rebel flag did indeed originally symbolize nothing else--nothing else--but heroism, valor, gallantry, and noble soldiers both fallen and returned. The rebel flag was in this scenario nothing more than a symbol of a failed nation's dream and its decent, upstanding warriors.

Wouldn't it be fair to say that--at best--this symbol originally intended as an icon for heroism was appropriated by those who (perhaps) misunderstood its intent, perverted its meaning, and subsequently turned this flag into something other than its original intent?

Could we not agree that certain symbols are in fact beyond repair and beyond the pale?

Again: This is far more charitable than what I believe to be actual reality, but I'm floating this as a thought experiment.
Exactly true. I understand people for whom the flag means something other than racism, but since it does stand for racism for so many, it needs to go.

Similarly, I have boxes and boxes of rainbow themed clothing I just cant wear anymore. (EDIT: For the record, this line is a joke)

Last edited:

Granite

Hall of Fame
Exactly true. I understand people for whom the flag means something other than racism, but since it does stand for racism for so many, it needs to go.

Similarly, I have boxes and boxes of rainbow themed clothing I just cant wear anymore.

:AMR: :help:

Did you go through a tie-dye phase, or something?:noid:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Actually, most would be indifferent to it. Only busy bodies like you make an issue of it, instead of the perp.
Yep.
I live in a neighborhood of Blacks, Whites, and Mexicans.

And all of them are laughing their butts off at the liberals over this issue of a 'racist flag'.

Tet needs to get out more.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yeah, no kidding. This thread is about the murder of nine people and things that might help reduce crime. I'm talking about justice; you want the issue to be about a false flag.

You're part of the problem.
Yeppers.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Float on!

The fact is that you cannot dictate to me how I view any flag. Nor can I dictate to you how you view a flag.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
One more time, do you celebrate Christmas? Accept any holiday pay for it, etc...
Yeah.
Having a Christmas tree doesn't make one a pagan anymore than having a Confederate flag makes one a racist.

Both arguments are just smoke screens.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Float on!

The fact is that you cannot dictate to me how I view any flag. Nor can I dictate to you how you view a flag.

A neo-Confed and neo-Nazi can same the exact--the exact--same thing. Symbols have power, which you know full well, and they have unmistakable meanings with the full force of history behind them. I truly don't give a damn how you view this filthy, foul, rotten, treasonous, racist flag.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I know.
And I don't give a hoot what you think of the Confederate flag.

Now what?

Oh, as in what happens next? Simple.

You're in the wrong, will remain in the wrong, and future generations will shake their heads in disgust and wonder what the hell was the matter with people like you.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Yep.
Unless you want to discard free speech and dictate to others what they can and cannot think about a flag.

If bigots, cretins, and other assorted racist scumbags want to make fools of themselves by flying this vicious flag, go on ahead. But don't expect to get a pat on the back and certainly don't think your speech is without consequence.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If bigots, cretins, and other assorted racist scumbags want to make fools of themselves by flying this vicious flag, go on ahead. But don't expect to get a pat on the back and certainly don't think your speech is without consequence.

Standing up against censorship isn't the same as supporting what the flag stands for.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Oh, as in what happens next? Simple.You're in the wrong, will remain in the wrong, and future generations will shake their heads in disgust and wonder what the hell was the matter with people like you.

Not so. You will be condemned because your attention was focused solely on a false flag issue rather than examining issues of justice and safety.