ECT Holy Laughter: Christian Behavior or Something Else

nikolai_42

Lets leave this with me answering your above question:

I don't believe preaching to the church should be anyone's ministry.

You mentioned Jesus. Jesus never preached. He taught and not to a church __ and the crowds were different no doubt, when He did teach.

From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
Matthew 4:17

And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people.
Matthew 4:23 (also Matthew 9:35)

He even commanded His disciples to preach :

These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:
But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Matthew 10:5-7

Another distinction in the same verse of teaching against preaching:

And it came to pass, when Jesus had made an end of commanding his twelve disciples, he departed thence to teach and to preach in their cities.
Matthew 11:1

This "Rabbi" preached and taught. And there are many other such references. So if there is any question as to whether He preached, that should be settled. And that He was also a teacher is also clear...He was called as much on more than one occasion. But preaching and teaching are both commanded and commended to us.

Omt: Do you teach? A teacher should teach what God gives him to teach. He should spiritually own what he teaches. Sorry, no canned sermons alowed.

Teacher and preacher alike - as well as the hearers - are subject to the Word of God.

Cross Reference

From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
Matthew 4:17

And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people.
Matthew 4:23 (also Matthew 9:35)

He even commanded His disciples to preach :

These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:
But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Matthew 10:5-7

Another distinction in the same verse of teaching against preaching:

And it came to pass, when Jesus had made an end of commanding his twelve disciples, he departed thence to teach and to preach in their cities.
Matthew 11:1

This "Rabbi" preached and taught. And there are many other such references. So if there is any question as to whether He preached, that should be settled. And that He was also a teacher is also clear...He was called as much on more than one occasion. But preaching and teaching are both commanded and commended to us.

Teacher and preacher alike - as well as the hearers - are subject to the Word of God.

OK I was wrong. So slay me.

God's Truth

None of it is, of God! That's all we need to know! The Pentecostal/
Charismatics have always been a little "Strange!" Barking, standing
up in church and supposedly delivering a message from God, jerking
their heads back and forth, crawling on the floor like an animal,
acting drunk, laughing hysterically, etc. None of that comes from
God! It's emotionalism gone mad! These "churches" look like a
representation of "Bedlam!"

I so agree.

God's Truth

These two videos are very disturbing. This is the first time I've heard and saw the connection to the Kundalini. Thank you very much for sharing GT.

Folks, you really should watch these two videos.

Thank you for letting me know that you watched it and got some information from it.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I was EXTREMELY skeptical of 'holy laughter' until I attended a meeting where just that broke out through the crowd. The preacher testified that he had heard of hundreds of cases of lifelong depression being lifted when people encountered laughter brought on in a meeting by The Holy Ghost. I couldn't stop laughing, and though I was not suffering from depression, it was an experience I will never forget. He asked that anyone with a healing testimony come forward to testify as to what The Lord had done and I've never seen a longer line of people waiting to testify. The first one to speak couldn't stop laughing long enough to testify and the laughter continued for hours. We came back through the convention center about an hour-and-a-half after they excused everyone and there were still several dozen people lying in the floor or sitting in their seats laughing un-controllably. I believe it is a wonder and KNOW that it was God. You don't have to guess when it is from God. If there is any doubt, it is NOT God. It was NOT manufactured. It was The Holy Spirit Who brought it to pass.

One thing that most people don't realize is that God has feelings. He loves to laugh. He cries. His feelings are far more profound, deep and pure than ours. When He is in a giving mood, He gives good gifts to His children. He wants to give eternal life to every soul, if they'll believe in Him. I believe that we'll see even greater signs, wonders and miracles than men have yet seen or even imagined, before we get this job done.

Through His guidance, I've seen salvation happen from my preaching or sharing and healing happen through my prayers, I've seen wonders, signs and heard angels. I expect even more in the future.

It can certainly be a release from hidden tensions.

LA

None of it is, of God! That's all we need to know! The Pentecostal/
Charismatics have always been a little "Strange!" Barking, standing
up in church and supposedly delivering a message from God, jerking
their heads back and forth, crawling on the floor like an animal,
acting drunk, laughing hysterically, etc. None of that comes from
God! It's emotionalism gone mad! These "churches" look like a
representation of "Bedlam!"

I was referring to Holy Laughter.

You took the opportunity to mock the Pentecostals because you are unrighteous.

Read Proverbs ch 26 for the entire description of your life.

LA

andyc

If an experience does nothing for a believer's growth in the Lord, it's pretty much useless. But if the flesh is reacting to something the Spirit is doing, there should be a noticeable purpose for it. If I have an experience, I'll want to know why I had it. Just like there must be an interpretation to tongues. God is not the author of confusion.

2 Corinthians 5:13 For if we are beside ourselves, it is for God; or if we are of sound mind, it is for you.

So here Paul is talking about being beside himself, which means there are times when the joys and ecstasies of the things of God made the worshiper appear to be out of his mind. This is a time of intimacy between God and the worshiper alone. And when in a sound mind, it is for instruction / ministry etc.

We are dealing with spiritual truths that can at times overwhelm the natural man, even to the degree that the flesh may behave out of character. If alcohol and drugs can affect feelings and emotions, the power of the Holy Spirit coming on people ought to get them excited and stirred up. Laughing or crying are emotional expressions, and we have a lot to be emotional about. But there is a time for that.

Cross Reference

With consideration given the "genuine" Holy laughter, many being instructed of the Lord have declared it to be the understanding-fulfillment of Ezekiel 47 that it is a time of refreshing-healing and fresh assurances. To keep this view in focus, one must remember the enemy will also come to destroy that which God is/has sown, even in the 'process' of it all.

Puppet

BANNED
Banned
Anyone watch the videos I posted? Anyone have anything they want to say about it? I posted it for your benefit. It would be descent and right to comment on it.

Those that can't watch the videos can read about it right here:

Kundalini energy is typically described as a powerful energy source lying dormant in the form of a coiled serpent at the base of the human spine. When freed it reputedly has the capacity to effect great physical healings. Christina and Stanislov Grof, New Age authors of the book "The Stormy Search for the Self," describe how the awakening of Kundalini energy can be triggered by an advanced spiritual teacher or guru. And how the awakening can bring up memories of past psychological traumas. The Grofs state that "individuals involved in this process might find it difficult to control their behavior; during power rushes of Kundalini energy, they often emit various involuntary sounds, and their bodies move in strange and unexpected patterns. Among the most common manifestations ... are unmotivated and unnatural laughter or crying, talking tongues ... and imitating a variety of animal sounds and movements" (p. 78-79). The Grofs state that "careful study of the manifestations of Kundalini awakening confirm that this process, although sometimes very intense and shattering, is essentially healing" (citing Warren Smith by permission in an article for Spiritual Counterfeits Project entitled "HOLY LAUGHTER or Strong Delusion" (Fall, 1994, Vol. 19.2), p. 14).

God's Truth

Those that can't watch the videos can read about it right here:

Kundalini energy is typically described as a powerful energy source lying dormant in the form of a coiled serpent at the base of the human spine. When freed it reputedly has the capacity to effect great physical healings. Christina and Stanislov Grof, New Age authors of the book "The Stormy Search for the Self," describe how the awakening of Kundalini energy can be triggered by an advanced spiritual teacher or guru. And how the awakening can bring up memories of past psychological traumas. The Grofs state that "individuals involved in this process might find it difficult to control their behavior; during power rushes of Kundalini energy, they often emit various involuntary sounds, and their bodies move in strange and unexpected patterns. Among the most common manifestations ... are unmotivated and unnatural laughter or crying, talking tongues ... and imitating a variety of animal sounds and movements" (p. 78-79). The Grofs state that "careful study of the manifestations of Kundalini awakening confirm that this process, although sometimes very intense and shattering, is essentially healing" (citing Warren Smith by permission in an article for Spiritual Counterfeits Project entitled "HOLY LAUGHTER or Strong Delusion" (Fall, 1994, Vol. 19.2), p. 14).

That sure gives some detail to it. I did not know it was something so studied. I only heard about it from those videos.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Laughter is nothing. Like Paul said about circumcision, a true Jew is one who is a Jew inwardly, showing that his heart is circumcised by the Spirit. If you are not circumcised by the Spirit then your physical circumcision might as well be a sign of being heathen.
In the same way, a person who laughs in church, if they are born of the Spirit then they can laugh as much as they like. You can tell easily enough if they are born of the Spirit by how much they love their brothers and sisters, how much they support widows and orphans, how pure they are, and so on.
Laughing may sound odd to you, but if so, you need to get over that and look a bit deeper. If the Spirit is not there, then it is not only the laughing but everything else about the peron who will make you feel uneasy. If you stop at the laughter you won't find out the truth.

God's Truth

With consideration given the "genuine" Holy laughter, many being instructed of the Lord have declared it to be the understanding-fulfillment of Ezekiel 47 that it is a time of refreshing-healing and fresh assurances. To keep this view in focus, one must remember the enemy will also come to destroy that which God is/has sown, even in the 'process' of it all.

What genuine holy laughter?

God's Truth

Laughter is nothing. Like Paul said about circumcision, a true Jew is one who is a Jew inwardly, showing that his heart is circumcised by the Spirit. If you are not circumcised by the Spirit then your physical circumcision might as well be a sign of being heathen.
In the same way, a person who laughs in church, if they are born of the Spirit then they can laugh as much as they like. You can tell easily enough if they are born of the Spirit by how much they love their brothers and sisters, how much they support widows and orphans, how pure they are, and so on.
Laughing may sound odd to you, but if so, you need to get over that and look a bit deeper. If the Spirit is not there, then it is not only the laughing but everything else about the peron who will make you feel uneasy. If you stop at the laughter you won't find out the truth.

Uncontrollable laughter is not in the Bible; it is a false teaching from those who claim to be charismatic.

Aimiel

Uncontrollable laughter is not in the Bible; it is a false teaching from those who claim to be charismatic.

When God brings one deliverance, one doesen't choose the package it comes in. Also, He doesn't force anyone to laugh. Those who look down their nose at God's spiritual gifts can never receive them. He doesn't force Himself upon anyone.

God's Truth

When God brings one deliverance, one doesen't choose the package it comes in. Also, He doesn't force anyone to laugh. Those who look down their nose at God's spiritual gifts can never receive them. He doesn't force Himself upon anyone.

There is no such thing as holy laughter.