Christian censorship: Atheist billboard taken down

fool

Hall of Fame
Yes, she does, and she didn't have to try to humilate any Christians to do so.

I believe that Atheists are intelligent enough and clever enough to put forth a message on a billboard that they can claim is innocent while hiding the intent to create controversy.
In eight words that say the contrary?
Is it possible that Atheists might just want to gather and what would that look like?

How intelligent and clever do you think Atheists are?
Well they must all be super evil geniuses seeing how bad a rap they get.........

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Why would you think that? I would be one of the first people here to post a poster that i thought was aimed at us and distasteful, in fact the poster that i added to this thread, I DID make a thread on before Christmas.

I don't have to agree with you, to have considered your position and think it doesn't apply in this case.
I know. I don't think you had a satisfactory answer to my note of the four weeks and how the running of it had little to do with holiday depression.

Even if you count the secular New Years, which would stand outside of the atheists arguing about the popular culture and the norm's oppressive religious influence time frame, there's a problem. The aim has to shift to a general depression over holidays and that's one better served by mental health professionals and phone banks already established.

So the simplest reading of the week before Christmas launch, especially in our area, was to stir free publicity. And that's tasteless. That said, my own judgment notwithstanding, I don't mean to impugn your right to hold a contrary opinion and if you feel that was in my response I apologize.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I know. I don't think you had a satisfactory answer to my note of the four weeks and how the running of it had little to do with holiday depression.

Im sorry my answer didnt satisfy you, my thoughts satisfy me and most people celebrate the Christmas Holidays long past Christmas day, and a week or 2 into the new year, with family and friends. Perhaps yours doesnt.

At any rate, i still don't think that poster is aimed at believers. Lets say it was aimed at believers, if it was, they didn't do a very good job at it, or it would made much more than local news. We witness to one another, why can't they? Nothing mocking about that poster, and one has to read wayyyy into it to see anything close.

That said, my own judgment notwithstanding, I don't mean to impugn your right to hold a contrary opinion and if you feel that was in my response I apologize.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
No, I absolutely agree with you. Displaying something that suggests Jesus isn't God during the dominant culture's holy month that celebrates his birth is tasteless.
More particularly, the week before Christmas. And yes, trading on that, sponsoring a likely public reaction and the press it would generate is in poor taste. Judaism isn't doing that by celebrating a holiday that existed before our religion began.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
More particularly, the week before Christmas. And yes, trading on that, sponsoring a likely public reaction and the press it would generate is in poor taste. Judaism isn't doing that by celebrating a holiday that existed before our religion began.

They probably think we traded theirs for ours... are our motives that(trade off)- automatically- because we don't agree with them and they were first?

Does it make us less sincere about our faith -that of course we have to be doing something to them -by practicing what we believe?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Im sorry my answer didnt satisfy you, my thoughts satisfy me and most people celebrate the Christmas Holidays long past Christmas day, and a week or 2 into the new year, with family and friends. Perhaps yours doesnt.
Not as a religious expression and not at all in my part of the South. But recall the response from one quarter that I was answering was about religious holidays and how left out some atheists feel during them. Well going beyond religious holidays changes the argument and so my additional answer on already established outlets and phone banks best equipped to deal with real and dangerous depression, along with my noting the failure of the atheist org to use its budget to prepare people when they had four weeks to spread out prior and during actual religious holidays.

At any rate, i still don't think that poster is aimed at believers.
That was never my particular objection. Rather, it was launched to draw additional coverage using an element among the faithful, a predictable outcome for a bonus in coverage. I think the evidence is in the dates and how they fail the religious holiday argument. If you really don't care about Christian reaction and your aim is really to help those suffering in the season from alienation then start the first or second week of Christmas. Get a running start before the Twelve Days and gatherings begin.

It's common sense. It's obvious and it isn't what was done. So applying that razor what was done is fairly clear.

Lets say it was aimed at believers, if it was, they didn't do a very good job at it, or it would made much more than local news. We witness to one another, why can't they? Nothing mocking about that poster, and one has to read wayyyy into it to see anything close.
Did you read the part about Llamar noting it had received numerous complaints? My sensibility on the point is a wide and perhaps cultural one. It was predictable, especially among those of my father's generation. Mine? We'd tend to respond less ardently. To me it was an eye roll in contemplation. Like I think I mentioned somewhere, the same feeling you'd get seeing a woman heading into the DMV in her prom dress. Anyone familiar with the area could see that coming a mile away.

:cheers:

fool

Hall of Fame
I understand when someone is moving a goalpost. Now try applying those to what I'm actually saying. To help out (you started it) those were illustrations of valuation and preference.
Do you think those effect how you treat people?

Since I'm not arguing for tearing down the billboard or against the right of anyone to put whatever they want up whenever they want to, to go to the DMV in a prom dress or pick their toes in public, only commenting on how I value it, what is your objection?
My objection is you find an Atheist outreach billboard directed at other Atheists as tasteless and on par with picking toes in public.

It can't be that you insist I think like you, can it?
No, just allow for others thinking.

I prefer people who think what they like but can meet difference amiably and, God willing, interestingly and hold reasoned positions with good humor.
I guess I'm not finding the humor in being excluded from the entire month of December as far as reaching out to other Atheists.

Since I started this I've been subjected to neg reps, suggestions that I'm stupid or evasive and a litany of likened nonsense I'd have expected from fundamentalists but not from my former cadre, whom I perhaps have projected onto a rationality and willingness to consider that is no more generally evident. Ah, well. That's life for you.
People are work, the more you care about someone the harder you work at it.
People rarely suggest I'm stupid because I set that as the base line so it has no teeth. But I'm nobody's punching bag and if anyone suggests I should sit down and shut up for a month because it offends their taste then they can count on me standing up taller and louder.

And I prefer people who don't calculatedly trade on the faith of others for their own gain, be they snake oil pastors or this group of atheists.
I guess we have to agree to disagree then, me being an Atheists and gathering with the like minded doesn't impinge upon your celebration anymore than gay marriage impinges on straight marriage.
There's an important point there.

:) Now we're finding common ground. How are you about good coffee, or beer?
Coffee from dawn till noon, beer from five till midnight.
I may have drank a glass of water once but I don't recall to clearly.

What I find tasteless in this particular is. And how I relate to things is, which is why I made note. Doesn't mean I lack compassion for those who struggle in ways I don't. I have my own. But the personalization about atheists was mostly an approach to the notion of the thing being launched for a mostly altruistic purpose, which I though and think is pure hooey.
Then you're simply discounting the possibility that it could.
What if I took every Christian outreach as an attempt to trade on my lack of faith?
Is every cross a tasteless reproach of Judaism?

And coincidentally you agree with her.... But she doesn't make more sense than the first person who suggested it and I think she dismisses my examination without much consideration of its parts. I answered on the couple she did look at.
And she answered your answers.

For a number of reasons, beginning with the lack of cause of action. Or, where's that billboard posted in a mostly black neighborhood (to keep the majority/exposure) set to run on MLK, Jr, day by the Daughters of the Confederacy?
Moving goal posts? Is the whole world a "Christian Neighborhood" that we should tip toe around? You've already claimed December as a holy month.
How is MLK day not an African American holiday and how is Robert E Lee day not an antithesis of that?

genuineoriginal

In eight words that say the contrary?
You would like people to look at the words on the one billboard and ignore the other billboards, wouldn't you?
Spoiler

24billboard-cityroom-blog480.jpg

ltp48x-ltp47t01.nb.athiests.lo.jpg

AABillboards.jpg

Looking at some of the rest of them shows a pattern.

Is it possible that Atheists might just want to gather and what would that look like?
Something like this:
"Join your nearest Atheist Anonymous meeting to find others in your area that will try to convince you that you are not going to hell"

Well they must all be super evil geniuses seeing how bad a rap they get.........
At least that is what their publicists say about themselves like in this example:
Atheists are more intelligent than religious people

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Not as a religious expression and not at all in my part of the South. But recall the response from one quarter that I was answering was about religious holidays and how left out some atheists feel during them. Well going beyond religious holidays changes the argument and so my additional answer on already established outlets and phone banks best equipped to deal with real and dangerous depression, along with my noting the failure of the atheist org to use its budget to prepare people when they had four weeks to spread out prior and during actual religious holidays.

That was never my particular objection. Rather, it was launched to draw additional coverage using an element among the faithful, a predictable outcome for a bonus in coverage. I think the evidence is in the dates and how they fail the religious holiday argument. If you really don't care about Christian reaction and your aim is really to help those suffering in the season from alienation then start the first or second week of Christmas. Get a running start before the Twelve Days and gatherings begin.

It's common sense. It's obvious and it isn't what was done. So applying that razor what was done is fairly clear.

Did you read the part about Llamar noting it had received numerous complaints? My sensibility on the point is a wide and perhaps cultural one. It was predictable, especially among those of my father's generation. Mine? We'd tend to respond less ardently. To me it was an eye roll in contemplation. Like I think I mentioned somewhere, the same feeling you'd get seeing a woman heading into the DMV in her prom dress. Anyone familiar with the area could see that coming a mile away.

you continue re-affirming my assessment

fool

Hall of Fame
You would like people to look at the words on the one billboard and ignore the other billboards, wouldn't you?
No, we can discuss the other billboards after we're done with the OP, I've already stated that I find the adversarial ones counter productive.
Looking at some of the rest of them shows a pattern.
A counter productive one.

Something like this:
"Join your nearest Atheist Anonymous meeting to find others in your area that will try to convince you that you are not going to hell"
But Atheists don't believe in that so they wouldn't say that, try again and concentrate this time.

At least that is what their publicists say about themselves like in this example:
Atheists are more intelligent than religious people
Nobody says that about me so not relevant.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Do you think those effect how you treat people?

My objection is you find an Atheist outreach billboard directed at other Atheists as tasteless and on par with picking toes in public.

No, just allow for others thinking.

I guess I'm not finding the humor in being excluded from the entire month of December as far as reaching out to other Atheists.

People are work, the more you care about someone the harder you work at it.
People rarely suggest I'm stupid because I set that as the base line so it has no teeth. But I'm nobody's punching bag and if anyone suggests I should sit down and shut up for a month because it offends their taste then they can count on me standing up taller and louder.

I guess we have to agree to disagree then, me being an Atheists and gathering with the like minded doesn't impinge upon your celebration anymore than gay marriage impinges on straight marriage.
There's an important point there.

Coffee from dawn till noon, beer from five till midnight.
I may have drank a glass of water once but I don't recall to clearly.

Then you're simply discounting the possibility that it could.
What if I took every Christian outreach as an attempt to trade on my lack of faith?
Is every cross a tasteless reproach of Judaism?

And she answered your answers.

Moving goal posts? Is the whole world a "Christian Neighborhood" that we should tip toe around? You've already claimed December as a holy month.
How is MLK day not an African American holiday and how is Robert E Lee day not an antithesis of that?

it isn't that difficult, to spell. and to understand the difference between - "effect" and "affect" - but i guess i'm getting ridiculous. it just seems to me, that anyone so educated could make such a simple mistake. wait, are we focusing on the beauty of the english language, or just the "use of words" ? i have written speaches, for who ? nice try. but, it's not for an individual, it's for everyone. i also notice that you don"t respond or post on deep thinking threads - so, either go deep, or play it safe, but you can't do both, when another master of the english language is observing. i see how careful you are. it's disgusting. i am not looking for debate, although i encourage it. i do respect your approach, it is admirable and insightful, but lacks UUUUUMMMMMPPPPHHHHH !!!!

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Thanks Nang! :thumb: Sorry, I mean Patrick Nang...shoot. Well, dreadnang...darn it. Way to really dig in and contribute to the thread.

You're a keeper...bees, zoo, who knows, but a keeper.

actually, my most recent post is directed SPECIFICALLY FOR YOU, i forgot to say that. TH, you are predictable, if it helps you to compare me to others, go for it. predictable :loser:

Arthur Brain

it isn't that difficult, to spell. and to understand the difference between - "effect" and "affect" - but i guess i'm getting ridiculous. it just seems to me, that anyone so educated could make such a simple mistake. wait, are we focusing on the beauty of the english language, or just the "use of words" ? i have written speaches, for who ? nice try. but, it's not for an individual, it's for everyone. i also notice that you don"t respond or post on deep thinking threads - so, either go deep, or play it safe, but you can't do both, when another master of the english language is observing. i see how careful you are. it's disgusting. i am not looking for debate, although i encourage it. i do respect your approach, it is admirable and insightful, but lacks UUUUUMMMMMPPPPHHHHH !!!!

For someone who is supposedly a master of the 'English language' you sure have done a bang up job of murdering it here...

:plain:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

another 5 page post, that says NOTHING. town heretic is a master at using words that never implicate him in anything. i am too, yet, i actually make points. i take positions and defend them. Spineless commentators are seen for what they are. get a life

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
For someone who is supposedly a master of the 'English language' you sure have done a bang up job of murdering it here...

:plain:

say when, and i wil pick your words apart. you should be more careful. especially when you don't have the vocabulary to contend :jump: