Who Here Chose To Be Heterosexual?

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
How so? By being forthright enough to say I had no choice in being heterosexual, and asking others if they made a conscious choice regardless of any actual sexual behaviour being part of the OP?
I don't believe for a second you started this thread with the intention of being "forthright"

That ruffles feathers?!

Why?
Because it was intended to do so

csuguy

Furthermore, how could you *choose* to be homosexual if you're straight?

One can certainly choose to explore the other side if they so choose. I've known many bi-sexuals, along with a few transvestites. Some of my friends jump from having a relationship with a girl to having a relationship with a guy. I know of one guy, my old roomate, who decided he wanted to start the process of changing sexes. He did it for several years, took the hormone pills, had some surgeries (though not sure how far that got), etc. However, now he is back to being masculine and is happy with himself. Which is fitting since he only dated women anyways.

The point is - people have a lot more choice in this arena people on either side of the fence like to admit. A straight person, especially one who views homosexuality as sinful, would never normally say that they have a choice in the matter and could explore alternative relationships if they wanted; and if morality wasn't an issue they might even find they liked it. Homosexuals in turn use it as a defense, saying they were made that way and don't have a choice in the matter. However, they might also find their boundaries expand on this matter.

NOTE: I am NOT encouraging people to go "explore" their sexuality. I am merely basing this upon my observations with my generation.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
One can certainly choose to explore the other side if they so choose. I've known many bi-sexuals, along with a few transvestites. Some of my friends jump from having a relationship with a girl to having a relationship with a guy. I know of one guy, my old roomate, who decided he wanted to start the process of changing sexes. He did it for several years, took the hormone pills, had some surgeries (though not sure how far that got), etc. However, now he is back to being masculine and is happy with himself. Which is fitting since he only dated women anyways.

The point is - people have a lot more choice in this arena people on either side of the fence like to admit. A straight person, especially one who views homosexuality as sinful, would never normally say that they have a choice in the matter and could explore alternative relationships if they wanted; and if morality wasn't an issue they might even find they liked it. Homosexuals in turn use it as a defense, saying they were made that way and don't have a choice in the matter. However, they might also find their boundaries expand on this matter.

NOTE: I am NOT encouraging people to go "explore" their sexuality. I am merely basing this upon my observations with my generation.

The question is not IF persons can choose alternate sexual pursuits, but whether anyone HAS THE RIGHT to choose to violate the gender and natural purposes, as determined and given to each soul by Holy God.

Nang

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
To answer the question, there was no choice, I just was ... from the first time I REALLY noticed boys.

Like the first grade.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Who here chose to not murder their neighbour?

Dena

Despite the potential to double my wardrobe I would find it impossible to desire a romantic relationship with another woman.

ragTagblues

I don't believe for a second you started this thread with the intention of being "forthright"

Dude lighten up a bit, I think the question is genuine and the intention behind it good.

You are just being angst because whether you all like it or not homosexuality really gets your blood pumping and as a result sometimes y'all lose objectivity.

Now back to th OP - did I choose to be hetrosexual?

I most certainly did not. What happened was I acted on some impulses and chemical reactions going on in my brain every time I saw Kelly LeBrock. Sadly those feelings and sensations disappeared whenever I looked at Kevin Keegan.

There was no thought process in that. And if it is a choice than being gay is a bad choice! Not because God says so, I don't give two hoots what he thinks; but because being gay represents a harder path full of persecution, less rights etc. etc.

This Charming Manc

Arthur

I think you wrong on this one.

Your argument seems to under pinned by the assumption that if you have a natural tendency towards a behavoir is your nature and therefore right. Thus denying it would be wrong.

I find a truly false premise and completely outside my understanding of my nature as described by the bible.

I will confess that my nature has;

A tendency to violence.
Lustful hetrosexual tendencies
An isolationist personality

All other these natural tendencies are sins, wrong and need to be denied.

Arthur Brain

And yet I did, but you're welcome to your opinion obviously.

It's ruffled my feathers in the past when Christian zealots have insisted that I could make a conscious decision to be attracted to blokes because I personally know it's baloney. Why it should ruffle feathers so much to admit to having no choice in heterosexuality is baffling frankly....

Arthur Brain

The thing is, you'd still need some spark of attraction before you could even 'explore' IMO. I've never had that in regards to my own gender and it would make me feel sick to be honest. That isn't anything to do with 'morality' per se as I have the same inbuilt wiring to find peanut butter repulsive.

alwight

I have the same inbuilt wiring to find peanut butter repulsive.
I don't recall ever deciding to like peanut butter, particularly the crunchy type, it just sort of was the case, nor could I simply decide to un-like it. However I suppose I could go and eat a whole jar, that might do it and then there are acquired tastes, maybe you could learn to like it? But I don't think that's quite how sexual preference works. :think:

Arthur Brain

I don't recall ever deciding to like peanut butter, particularly the crunchy type, it just sort of was the case, nor could I simply decide to un-like it. However I suppose I could go and eat a whole jar, that might do it and then there are acquired tastes, maybe you could learn to like it? But I don't think that's quite how sexual preference works. :think:

My sister loves the stuff. I simply can't stand it...

I'd say there was more chance of my becoming the mayor of London than ever finding it even remotely appetizing....

(yeucchhh etc)

Quincy

Well, Arthero, there is a correlation between homosexuality and peanut butter. I'm not surprised you have an aversion to both on a personal level :chuckle: .

I think you guys are missing Athur's point. He isn't defending anything or trying to say anything is right or wrong. The point is, if the people who think it's possible or easy to really change your sexuality would just look at themselves for a second and think about if they could actually do it, then they would see that they can't. It's an innate/subconscious thing. Now I believe people can (if they so desire and perhaps get brainwashed or get put in environment of all same sex individuals) change their behavior to act oriented a certain way but I don't think their innate orientation changes. It's a matter of self conditioning one's behavior, not really changing your orientation.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Dude lighten up a bit, I think the question is genuine and the intention behind it good.
The question is intended as a weapon to put so called "homophbibic bigots" in their place.
You are just being angst because whether you all like it or not homosexuality really gets your blood pumping and as a result sometimes y'all lose objectivity.
That is not it at all. Calling evil good and good evil, gets my blood pumping! Trying to force Biblical truth into the closet because it conflicts with pop psychology gets my blood pumping. Homosexuality is not something I even think about except when people shove it in my face.

Arthur Brain

The question is intended as a weapon to put so called "homophbibic bigots" in their place.

Er, no it isn't. You can declare that as much as you will, it won't make it any the more 'true'.

That is not it at all. Calling evil good and good evil, gets my blood pumping! Trying to force Biblical truth into the closet because it conflicts with pop psychology gets my blood pumping. Homosexuality is not something I even think about except when people shove it in my face.

Who exactly is trying to 'force biblical truth into the closet'? I'm not and neither is anyone else that I've seen. If the question bothers you so much then I'm sorry you have such a reaction to it.

alwight

Well, Arthero, there is a correlation between homosexuality and peanut butter. I'm not surprised you have an aversion to both on a personal level :chuckle: .

I think you guys are missing Athur's point. He isn't defending anything or trying to say anything is right or wrong. The point is, if the people who think it's possible or easy to really change your sexuality would just look at themselves for a second and think about if they could actually do it, then they would see that they can't. It's an innate/subconscious thing. Now I believe people can (if they so desire and perhaps get brainwashed or get put in environment of all same sex individuals) change their behavior to act oriented a certain way but I don't think their innate orientation changes. It's a matter of self conditioning one's behavior, not really changing your orientation.
Some of the more enthusiastic anti-gays here perhaps don't seriously want to think about this question and would studiously like to avoid it else their own sexuality could merely be a matter of fallible human choice, circumstance or whim. Cognitive dissonance makes them irritable perhaps?