toldailytopic: What are some of God's most prominent attributes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hmmmmm, you ever see those videos of starving, disease ridden children with bloated stomachs, who are more than likely, about to die slowly and painfully after a few years of miserable existence?

Love indeed.......

Then why don't you start sending your paychecks? Non rhetorical. Awaiting your answer.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 12th, 2011 09:32 AM

The attributes of God are equal and One. No attribute is greater or more predominant than another.

For example: God is love and God is just.

These attributes have the same significance, authority, and importance and cannot be separated, because God cannot be compartmentalized or dissected.

(I will not bother to reveal the theological term for this truth, for it more than likely would be trampled underfoot.)

Nang

pqmomba8

Then why don't you start sending your paychecks? Non rhetorical. Awaiting your answer.

Another "Meh" - we sponsor 4 kids through (ironically enough) Christian Children's Fund (they are an awesome charity) plus other charity work, but THAT is not the issue here.

I do that because I genuinely feel bad about completely innocent who are suffering through no fault of their own, but simply because God has decided to go away on business when it comes to protecting the most defenseless. Go figure.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The attributes of God are equal and One. No attribute is greater or more predominant than another.

For example: God is love and God is just.

These attributes have the same significance, authority, and importance and cannot be separated, because God cannot be compartmentalized or dissected.

(I will not bother to reveal the theological term for this truth, for it more than likely would be trampled underfoot.)

Nang
I guess I disagree. For example... the Bible tells us that God is a jealous God therefore jealously is an attribute that God has. Yet I would say jealously is far less prominent of an attribute than God's attribute of being loving.

bybee

Listen, that may be correct in principle, but that doesn't change the fact that the most vulnerable and innocent are going through unspeakable suffering - and THAT flies directly in the fact of the whole "God is infinite love, blah, blah, blah" marlakey....

I disagree with you my friend. It proves that we are free to make our own choices. And some of our choices stink!
Yet, as I look back over my 75 years of life on this plane I am filled with thanksgiving for all of the kindnesses that have come my way.
And I do my best to return that kindness as the need presents itself.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I can't think of a better list of God's attributes than the list Bob Enyart gave during BR X

God is: Living, Personal, Relational, Good, Loving

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Grace, that we should be so privileged to live with God and witness. Grace is the love of God acting within us.

pqmomba8

I disagree with you my friend. It proves that we are free to make our own choices. And some of our choices stink!
Yet, as I look back over my 75 years of life on this plane I am filled with thanksgiving for all of the kindnesses that have come my way.
And I do my best to return that kindness as the need presents itself.

>>>>free to make our own choices
Sigh. You're missing my point and yet it's not subtle at all. OK, 2 - 3 year olds do not make choices!!! Hello?

bybee

Sigh. You're missing my point and yet it's not subtle at all. OK, 2 - 3 year olds do not make choices!!! Hello?

There are adults in the lives of all 2 and 3 year old's. Those adults are responsible for their welfare. And society, at large, is responsible to see that the resources of this world are shared equally by all. It is not about "What we want" but it is about "What we need". And we are meant to see to it that basic human needs are met for all peoples.
You have stated in another post that you are helping some who are in need. Good for you. I trust that most of us who post on TOL are doing the same.
WE ARE GOD'S INSTRUMENTS.
For good or for ill, what we do and what we leave undone is the determining factor on suffering or blessing in this life.

Selaphiel

No, but the extreme poverty they live in are the result of greed for money and power of other people. Their living conditions are the consequence of human decisions.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 12th, 2011 09:32 AM

Prominent in what way? As in most frequently mentioned? Or promiment in scripture? Prominent as we see it in the world?

Or is it up to me how I answer? :eek:

Probably...

-Eternal
-the "omni"s
-Good

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
To all you malcontents, God does not own you anything. He is not responsible for this world, we are responsible. Do not blame the state of the human condition on God, not when any thinking persons knows we could do much better, if we chose love for others, over greed. God offers us to be with Him, and now, in relationship with Him. It is your choice to make.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
I guess I disagree. For example... the Bible tells us that God is a jealous God therefore jealously is an attribute that God has. Yet I would say jealously is far less prominent of an attribute than God's attribute of being loving.

You are contrasting attributes, which cannot be done when speaking of God Almighty.

For contrasting implies the existence of a positive versus a negative and there are no negative attritutes in the Being of our Maker. He is all good and only good.

So since God is a jealous God, that jealousy is a good thing. It is certainly not the same as sinful, human jealously, which is selfish and wicked.

When the bible speaks of God jealousy, it speaks positively of God's protective zeal for those He loves, or it speaks positively of God's justice executed righteously. In both cases, Godly jealousy is a good attribute.

For no creature has basis or right to find fault or to define God as negative in any way!

"This is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is light and in Him is no darkness at all." I John
1:5

God is good, and God is only good. Mark 10:18

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I can't think of a better list of God's attributes than the list Bob Enyart gave during BR X

God is: Living, Personal, Relational, Good, Loving

Now you stole my thunder!

This attributes of God often show in tangible ways in the life of the Christian. I can speak from experience. Some of you are aware my husband had cancer last year. The tangible ways God brought comfort was through Christian friends. Some of them are on this site. About that time was when I joined. TOL. Other tangible ways are the provision of quality medical care at low cost to us. My husband had to take time off work for his surgery. That left us without his income. And yet the money was provided to pay the bills. God is invisible? Not!

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Another "Meh" - we sponsor 4 kids through (ironically enough) Christian Children's Fund (they are an awesome charity) plus other charity work, but THAT is not the issue here.

And you spend how much? All income less what you need to eat bread and water? You are a liar.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
You are contrasting attributes, which cannot be done when speaking of God Almighty.

For contrasting implies the existence of a positive versus a negative and there are no negative attritutes in the Being of our Maker. He is all good and only good.

So since God is a jealous God, that jealousy is a good thing. It is certainly not the same as sinful, human jealously, which is selfish and wicked.

When the bible speaks of God jealousy, it speaks positively of God's protective zeal for those He loves, or it speaks positively of God's justice executed righteously. In both cases, Godly jealousy is a good attribute.

For no creature has basis or right to find fault or to define God as negative in any way!

"This is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is light and in Him is no darkness at all." I John
1:5

God is good, and God is only good. Mark 10:18
Nang that's so silly!

Sure all of God's attributes are good but does that make them indistinguishable? God certainly doesn't think so as He has filled His word with descriptions of His attributes.

God says He is living.
God says He is merciful.
God says He is patient.
God says He is forgiving.
God says He is loving.
God says He is truth.
God says He is vengeful.
God says He is jealous.

Those are just a handful of things that God Himself says that He is.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Nang that's so silly!

Sure all of God's attributes are good but does that make them indistinguishable? God certainly doesn't think so as He has filled His word with descriptions of His attributes.

God says He is living.
God says He is merciful.
God says He is patient.
God says He is forgiving.
God says He is loving.
God says He is truth.
God says He is vengeful.
God says He is jealous.

Those are just a handful of things that God Himself says that He is.

If you agree with me that all these divine attributes are holy and good, and that none of them are negative or bad, we have no quarrel.

Nang

Nang

TOL Subscriber
:sigh: Of course none of them are negative or bad. :doh:

Nice. Glad we agree.

Knight posted:

Yet I would say jealously is far less prominent of an attribute than God's attribute of being loving.

I would say that "jealousy," being a part of Godly love and Godly justice, is not a lesser attribute, in any way.

If I could convince you to agree that all divine attributes are of the same spiritual value and significance, working in harmony together as the Being of God, then we would be in total agreement! :banana:

Nang

Status
Not open for further replies.