toldailytopic: Why do atheists spend so much time on Christian forums such as Theolog

Status
Not open for further replies.

ragTagblues

I was introduced to the site by a former Christian friend of mine because I was looking to understand religions. She doesn't seem to post anymore though. Then I got addicted to arguing with people and when I realized I was addicted to it I left for awhile. That's just my personality, I'm prone to addictions moreso than most.

Once I got over it, I came back and I hang around and contribute casually more from a voyeuristic reason. People seem to say what they are really thinking when there is anonymity involved unlike with a face to face conversation.

. . . . and what he said!

Selaphiel

I divide our atheists into two groups:

1) Atheists who are able to have a polite discussion, who come here with some genuine interest in dialogue. Those I have a lot of respect for.

2) Atheists who think they are some kind of messianic figure of reason coming here to enlighten the poor theists. In reality they are here to carry on with a monologue where they parrot one or more of the "four horsemen of atheism". They are a dime a dozen and a waste of time.

In short: I respect people regardless of what they put in their "religion" box, as long as they are here for genuine dialogue and can do so in a polite manner.

Of course, we have our fair share of Christians who best fit category 2) as well, who can't possibly think of anything that can be modified within their system of though, so they engage in the same dreary monologue.

WizardofOz

Why do atheists spend so much time on Christian forums such as TheologyOnline?

To challenge their lack of belief. ;)

Silent Hunter

2) Atheists who think they are some kind of messianic figure of reason coming here to enlighten the poor theists. In reality they are here to carry on with a monologue where they parrot one or more of the "four horsemen of atheism". They are a dime a dozen and a waste of time.

Of course, we have our fair share of Christians who best fit category 2) as well, who can't possibly think of anything that can be modified within their system of though, so they engage in the same dreary monologue.
. . . spoken as if this couldn't possibly apply to you . . . Denial is not a river . . . it's an excuse.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Being of the Reformed faith, I believe each and every atheist arrives at TOL due to the hand of God.

Here, their souls are tested.

For here, they not only are exposed to the truth of the gospel of Jesus Christ, but they are also exposed to all kinds of human error.

In a way, all of us at TOL are being tested . . . and judged according to either our faith in God, or for our unbelief in God.

So you're saying that TOL is sorta like..... heaven? :D

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
. . . Denial is not a river . . . it's an excuse.

Because there's nothing worse than the silence after one of those on open mic night...

Why do atheists spend so much time on Christian forums such as TheologyOnline?

To get to the other side. :drum:

There. Now at least you have company.

Breathe

Consider this analogy: Atheists are to faith what resistance training is to muscles. Atheists can actually benefit our faith in that they challenge us to examine what we believe and why we believe it. Examining our own faith causes us to develop a clearer understanding of our faith, and this enables us to respond accordingly (Colossians 4:5-6). Socrates once said, "The unexamined life is not worth living." Perhaps it can also be said that the unexamined faith is not worth believing.

I have had this experience, also. Discussion with all people who feel differently than me in most any area causes me to study, to think and in some cases, to re-evaluate.

Flipper

Therefore... atheists participate on TOL because deep down inside they know they are wrong.

But some atheists also participate on atheist forums. Should we conversely assume that, deep down inside, these atheists know they are right? :p

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
As far as I can tell the evolutionists are here to :spam: every science thread with ad hominem, distortion and general mockery with only regard for the poster's declared affiliation to atheism. :idunno:

Flipper

As far as I can tell the evolutionists are here to spam every science thread with ad hominem, distortion and general mockery with only regard for the poster's declared affiliation to atheism. :idunno

... Not to mention actual science.

BabyChristian

When I was a member of a strictly political forum for 4 years, trouble-makers often would brag about coming on here (this was before I was a Christian) and tell how they made fun of believers and get a good laugh at it until they were banned of course and they thought that was funny too, being banned.

Bunch of immature :baby: :baby: S

I can't see myself going to an atheist site and wasting my time making fun of their opinion that they have absolute knowledge that there is no one with absolute knowledge.

nicholsmom

As far as I can tell the evolutionists are here to :spam: every science thread with ad hominem, distortion and general mockery with only regard for the poster's declared affiliation to atheism. :idunno:

But not all evolutionists are atheists...

Still, I get your point. It's kind of like what Ktoyou said - we like to argue and moan :chuckle:

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for August 13th, 2010 12:28 PM

toldailytopic: Why do atheists spend so much time on Christian forums such as TheologyOnline?

Misery loves company?

Status
Not open for further replies.