North Carolina: Force to Rescind Tranny In Bathroom Bill

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
delivery was longer than anticipated, but i am now the proud parent of a 75 pound five speed tranny, currently in a wheelbarrow in my shop :banana:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Would we actually see people prosecuted for using the wrong restroom?
Apparently a city in Alabama wants to.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-alabama-lgbt-idUSKCN0XO2H6

An Alabama city appears to be the first in the country to specify criminal penalties for violators of an ordinance requiring people to use bathrooms that match the gender on their birth certificates, civil rights groups said on Wednesday.

The law passed on Tuesday by the city council in Oxford, located about 60 miles east of Birmingham, carries a possible punishment of a $500 fine or six months in jail.

The measure raises the stakes in the U.S. bathroom wars that have caused fierce debate among state lawmakers, school officials and Republican presidential candidates. It goes further than a law enacted last month in North Carolina - which has been boycotted by businesses, entertainers and government workers - since it became the first state to bar transgender people from using bathrooms that correspond with their gender identity.

North Carolina's law applies to restrooms and locker rooms in government-owned facilities and schools.

The Oxford ordinance also includes bathrooms in private businesses and explicitly makes violating the provision a crime, the Human Rights Campaign said.

Steven Waits, president of the Oxford City Council, said the measure was a response to complaints from residents after retailer Target last week said transgender people and customers could use store bathrooms that matched the gender with which they identify, the Anniston Star reported.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I once went to a restaurant in the Twin Cities which had a mixed-gender restroom. The sinks and hand drying areas were common, and there were (quite private) stalls for actually relieving ones self. It was perfectly reasonable on a rational level, but there was something oddly disconcerting about it. I think there's actually some real benefit in breaking down those artificial barriers. We expect people to behave appropriately when they encounter people of opposite genders everywhere else. The bathroom shouldn't be an exception.

I have to say I've never been in a restroom like that. As a woman, I wouldn't feel safe in it if it wasn't crowded, because expecting someone to behave appropriately won't protect me from being assaulted by someone who has no interest in behaving appropriately. I don't know. Disconcerting is a good word.
@rexlunae

Guess what I wandered into unawares tonight? :eek:

I wonder if it was the same restaurant you were at, only down here where I'm at.

Okay, so now I have been in a restroom just like you described. You would've laughed if could have seen this. :chuckle:

The men's and women's stalls are very private and removed from one another, so much so that I had no idea the hand-washing area was in common until I went to use the sink afterwards. Very cool sink, with tilted stone and these minimalist faucets and the water went down into a center trough and disappeared. So I'm admiring the design of it while I'm washing my hands, and I look up to what I thought was a mirror... and instead of seeing myself, I'm looking at a man who's just come to wash his hands at the sink on the other side - which is a mirror image of my side. I looked at him, and he looked at me... :chuckle: I'm pretty sure he had no more idea than I did what he'd walked into, because there hadn't been anyone using the sink when I walked through to the back of the restroom.

Disconcerting? Yes. That's still the best word. For a split second my universe shot me a tilt warning, but then it righted itself and life went on, because it felt like a very safe environment - the sinks opened right onto the common restaurant area.

Anyway, I didn't think I'd be writing a restroom critique tonight, but I had to come back and let you know.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
You could ask virtually any transgender you come across in your entire life and ask them about their experience with public restrooms, and it would be no different than your own experience with public restrooms.

Despite this, you want to attempt to reshape the entire ideology and what society is comfortable with- and build all existing and new restrooms toward it- to compensate the 1% of the 1% percent of society that may or may not have had an unfortunate thing happen in a restroom at some point in their lives..

I'm illustrating you all's utterly ridiculous agenda, and how it really has nothing to do with transgenders at all. It's an attack on Christian and traditional values, and nothing more.

rexlunae

@rexlunae

Guess what I wandered into unawares tonight? :eek:

I wonder if it was the same restaurant you were at, only down here where I'm at.

Were you in the Twin Cities, in Minnesota? I don't think it was a chain, but I could be wrong about that.

Okay, so now I have been in a restroom just like you described. You would've laughed if could have seen this. :chuckle:

The men's and women's stalls are very private and removed from one another, so much so that I had no idea the hand-washing area was in common until I went to use the sink afterwards. Very cool sink, with tilted stone and these minimalist faucets and the water went down into a center trough and disappeared. So I'm admiring the design of it while I'm washing my hands, and I look up to what I thought was a mirror... and instead of seeing myself, I'm looking at a man who's just come to wash his hands at the sink on the other side - which is a mirror image of my side. I looked at him, and he looked at me... :chuckle: I'm pretty sure he had no more idea than I did what he'd walked into, because there hadn't been anyone using the sink when I walked through to the back of the restroom.

Disconcerting? Yes. That's still the best word. For a split second my universe shot me a tilt warning, but then it righted itself and life went on, because it felt like a very safe environment - the sinks opened right onto the common restaurant area.

Anyway, I didn't think I'd be writing a restroom critique tonight, but I had to come back and let you know.

It's pretty startling, isn't it? I think it's a good kind of uncomfortable, but it really does catch you by surprise when you aren't used to or expecting it. It forces you to confront a little bit more the humanity of the other gender a little more realistically, to put it as delicately as I can. :)

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Were you in the Twin Cities, in Minnesota? I don't think it was a chain, but I could be wrong about that.

It's pretty startling, isn't it? I think it's a good kind of uncomfortable, but it really does catch you by surprise when you aren't used to or expecting it. It forces you to confront a little bit more the humanity of the other gender a little more realistically, to put it as delicately as I can. :)

No, I was here in San Diego. And yes, it was briefly startling. I think the look on his face pretty much matched the look on mine: you could see the initial shock, the split-second reassessment of the situation then recovery that attempted an "I knew that" but wasn't very convincing. :eek:

PureX

As a woman, I wouldn't feel safe in it if it wasn't crowded, because expecting someone to behave appropriately won't protect me from being assaulted by someone who has no interest in behaving appropriately. I don't know. Disconcerting is a good word.
But truthfully, this is the case with nearly any public restroom. It's just a misconception that makes us think we're safer with what we're used to. The fact is that we are quite safe in nearly all of them nearly all of the time. And the places that aren't safe, aren't unsafe because of the restroom layout. They're unsafe because of where the restroom is located.

shagster01

At the root of this issue, as is usually the case, is fear and bigotry. Most homosexuals can use their respective gender restrooms without notice nor incident, because there is no way for anyone to tell that they are gay. For transgender folks, however, this is sometimes not the case. Most men are not especially convincing, visually, dressed as females. Nor are many women especially convincing dressed as males. And our society's natural bigotry, and propensity for violence against anyone who looks different from us becomes a very real issue for these transvestite/transgender folks. Not so much in a woman's bathroom because women are not particularly given to violence, but men most certainly are. And any apparent transgender/transvestite person entering a men's bathroom is putting themselves in a situation that involves significant danger.

This is WHY transgender/transvestite males want to be able to use the women's restroom. And in my opinion, since the number of them is so small, and they pose no threat to the other women, AND they are in serious danger using the men's restroom, I think they should be allowed to use the woman's restroom, and that women should view them as a 'protected minority' on the very, very rare occasion that they might encounter such trans-males in their bathroom.

Once we set aside our fear and hatred, it's a simple pragmatic decision to make; that harms no one and may well save lives.

So what about my work bathroom, where the bathroom is also the locker and shower room?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
It's your employer's responsibility to provide security and privacy for all it's employees regarding such necessary facilities.

how on earth do you provide privacy in a locker room? :dizzy:

seriously purex, do you actually live in the real world?

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
*BUMP*

You could ask virtually any transgender you come across in your entire life and ask them about their experience with public restrooms, and it would be no different than your own experience with public restrooms.

Despite this, you want to attempt to reshape the entire ideology and what society is comfortable with- and build all existing and new restrooms toward it- to compensate the 1% of the 1% percent of society that may or may not have had an unfortunate thing happen in a restroom at some point in their lives..

I'm illustrating you all's utterly ridiculous agenda, and how it really has nothing to do with transgenders at all. It's an attack on Christian and traditional values, and nothing more.