Status
Not open for further replies.

assuranceagent

"Just believe in Jesus" assumes an awful lot:

1) that Jesus existed
2) that the evidence for his existence is persuasive
3) that there's evidence at all, for that matter
4) that the depiction we have of him is accurate

Only item four is even marginally debatable with any modicum of intellectual honesty.

Jesus was a historical figure. There's little doubt - even among secular historians - of that fact.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Only item four is even marginally debatable with any modicum of intellectual honesty.

Jesus was a historical figure. There's little doubt - even among secular historians - of that fact.

The "evidence" for the historical existence of a single literal individual by this name as depicted in the gospels is slim, at best, and for the sake of this thread, let's please not go there and try to rehash that old chestnut of an argument.

Shai Gar

And I've little doubt of that fact. but even using christian doctrine it's amusing to say jesus is the son of god.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Uhh, The North Pole is. It's a human invention to describe a position on the globe and in cartography. I could show you pictures if you want, and the math that creates it.
And you can show me the toy shops and the reindeer sheds and the where the sleigh is stored during the rest of the year? Can you show me Shanta's castle?!? :noway:

You can choose to be obtuse if you will but it does more to hinder discussions than to help.

Revelation

BANNED
Banned
Welcome Shai Gar.

Just because someone is a historical figure doesn't mean they actually existed. It just means there were people in history who believed he existed. Until secular historians can prove that Jesus didn't exist, they have to give historical accounts some credence. However, the inverse is true for theologians. They can't exactly prove he did exist outside of a few questionable Extra Biblical sources. To be frank, King Author is a historical figure, and there are historical accounts which indicate that he was based on a real man. But no secular historian is going to claim he ruled a massive city called Camelot and wielded a magic sword called Excalibur.

fool

Hall of Fame
And you can show me the toy shops and the reindeer sheds and the where the sleigh is stored during the rest of the year? Can you show me Shanta's castle?!? :noway:

"Shanta" won't be tested like that, he want you to have faith in him, if you could take a picture that would be proof not faith.

fool

Hall of Fame
Yeah...so why did you bring up the fact that the north pole moves? :idunno:

Cause new guy said this;
It's a human invention to describe a position on the globe and in cartography.

I simply wanted to point out that it moves, he seemed as though he might not be aware of that.

Granite

Hall of Fame
This is where the believer and the non-believer have the greatest degree of misunderstanding and I contributed to that with my previous statement.

In the Christian faith, full disclosure does occur up front but not by men. My faith in God and Jesus and the Holy Spirit are not born of me. My faith is a gift from God. I was open to receiving it and I did. Once God opened my eyes, then i could see truth where I had only previously seen a book I could use to mock and ridicule small minded Christians over.

Nonbelievers will typically assume that faith in God is like faith in Santa Clause. As children, we all have an unquestioning belief that Santa is real and the North Pole is real. As we grow older, as we learn more, that belief, that faith, gradually is replaced by knowledge. Yet faith in God continues. A great many people believe in God with absolute certainty that Santa only exists in the heart of a parent. Faith in God must come from some place other than our own minds. I have been assailed for a long time about my beliefs. I have ridiculed and will probably continue to be mocked as a weak minded man for years to come and yet faith persists. Why? What makes my faith so strong in the face of such adversity? My faith is strong because it is given to me by God. It is hard to understand but that is the heart of it.

So once you wanted to believe it, you did. I see.

Your faith persists because you need it.

Egbert

That's not what I'm talking about.
Geographic north pole (the axis) moves, it's called the Chandler wobble.

Ah. But it still doesn't move relative to the Equator, so for the purposes of geographical locations and latitude and longitude, it doesn't move around on the globe.

fool

Hall of Fame
Ah. But it still doesn't move relative to the Equator, so for the purposes of geographical locations and latitude and longitude, it doesn't move around on the globe.

Equator is an line half way between north and south pole.
Poles move.
Equator moves.

Shai Gar

So once you wanted to believe it, you did. I see.

Your faith persists because you need it.

To quote the philosopher Raistlin Majere:
"Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it."
"So we shouldn't have hope?"
"No! We should remove the carrot and see with clear vision"

Egbert

Equator is an line half way between north and south pole.
Poles move.
Equator moves.

This goes back to you confusing the North Pole and the North Magnetic Pole. The former never moves relative to 0 degrees latitude (the Equator), while the latter does. ShaiGar was not talking about the magnetic poles.

Status
Not open for further replies.