you might have life through His name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

marhig

Trust in Christ certainly implies more than a punched ticket to heaven or “fire insurance”. But that’s my point. Those that really rest on and in Him are secure regardless. Those that are not His will not persevere. They went out from us because they were not of us.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Trust in Christ certainly implies more than a punched ticket to heaven or “fire insurance”. But that’s my point. Those that really rest on and in Him are secure regardless. Those that are not His will not persevere. They went out from us because they were not of us.

So all those who say they are saved and don't live by his will, are they really saved?

Because those who truly rest on him live by faith in him, and those who have true faith, live by God's will putting their trust in him daily and do not worry about their own lives instead they put God first.

There is no security without obedience, because without obedience we won't be blessed with the Spirit within. (Acts 5)

I was reading John 9 yesterday, and I read this in it, this is the man who was given sight by Jesus when he put clay on his eyes then told him to go and wash them, this is what the man said to the Pharisees when he could see.

John 9

The man answered and said unto them, Why herein is a marvellous thing, that ye know not from whence he is, and yet he hath opened mine eyes. Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth. Since the world began was it not heard that any man opened the eyes of one that was born blind. If this man were not of God, he could do nothing. They answered and said unto him, Thou wast altogether born in sins, and dost thou teach us? And they cast him out.

This man was speaking the truth regarding God, that he hears not sinners but hears those who do his will. Then they said to him, you are were born in sin and you teach us? And they cast him out even though he spoke the truth.

And that is like some people here who are full of pride, who look down on others calling them unsaved and they reject the truth and cast away those who Christ has given sight to, because they believe that they don't have to repent and live by the will of God they are already saved no matter what they do even wilfully sinning.

This is not the truth, if we carry on wilfully sinning then we die, and this is isn't natural death, but a Spiritual death, because God won't keep his Spirit in the heart of those who love their flesh before him, he won't walk and talk with wilful sinners and Christ will be far from them, they must first truly repent and those who truly repent turn from sin, when they see the light, and they turn from the sins they did in ignorance.

Jesus didn't hear the woman's cry to him to heal her daughter and cast out her devils until he saw she had faith, and God doesn't hear those who say they know him but don't have true faith in him, and those with true faith, humble themselves, obey the living God and live by his will putting God first in their lives, and put their complete trust in him, and these are those who God is in the heart of, and you will see the fruit of the Spirit in their lives as Christ lives in and through them.

drbrumley

The Apostle John wrote an entire chapter to assure God's people that they are indeed God's people.

"These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God: that ye may know that ye have eternal life and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God." (1 John 5:13).

That ye may KNOW? What??

I would love Meathead to answer this one....

God's Truth

Bottom line, you say your own obedience separate from God’s work is the requirement for God to work in and save someone. I say that isn’t mercy but reward - something you have to work for. Obedience is a necessity but it is a marker...NOT the foundation.

Jesus' words are Spirit and life. If you don't do what Jesus says then you don't have the Spirit and you don't have life.

As for you saying eternal life is not a reward, you are badly mistaken. You should listen to Paul:

Colossians 3:23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, 24 since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. 25 Anyone who does wrong will be repaid for their wrongs, and there is no favoritism.

Romans 2:5 But because of your stubbornness and your unrepentant heart,you are storing up wrath against yourself for the day of God’s wrath, when his righteous judgment will be revealed. 6 God “will repay each person according to what they have done.” 7To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life. 8 But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger. 9 There will be trouble and distress for every human being who does evil: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile; 10 but glory, honor and peace for everyone who does good: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. 11 For God does not show favoritism.

marhig

I am merely repeating what is in the Greek. It is pretty clear that there was something that God did and accomplished in eternity past that is effectual for us now. I won’t say I understand it all but when one’s righteousness is dependent upon God’s work, it has to be unilaterally Him in men who are dead in trespasses and sin. If there is any eternal good in us then we need to make use of that. If not, we are blind and hopeless unless He takes out the heart of stone and gives us a heart of flesh.

What part of the scriptures I cited do you believe I am misinterpreting?

God won't be in men who are dead in tresspasses and in sin, God is in those who are dead to self. And we are blind and hopeless until the light is set before us, and we hear the word of God, this is the free gift of God, the word given freely by his grace through Christ by the Spirit. We then have a choice, believe or not. We are not predestined to be saved, we are predestined to hear the truth, which is to be preached to everyone in every nation, and we then have freewill and a choice. We choose who we serve, we can serve God and follow Jesus or serve Satan and live by the works of the flesh and this world. And the latter are those who are dead in tresspasses and sin.

Bradley D

Christians are the only ones in this world of sin who can be "comfortable". We are safe in Christ Jesus. Satan has no power over us at all.

The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons" (I Tim. 4:1).

God's Truth

There is none good but God.
Only God is good is about goodness originating from God. It doesn't mean no one can be good because I gave you the scriptures that say there are people with good hearts.

The heart of man is deceitful and desperately wicked and who can know it?
You didn't quote that scripture right. That scripture doesn't mean all hearts are deceitful and wicked; it means out of all the things in the world, man's heart has the potential to be the most deceitful and wicked.

Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

And who was justified? The one who thanked God that he was good or the one who humbled himself before Him seeking mercy?

The one who was sorry for his sin and asked for forgiveness is the one who was justified. Which is more proof that you have to believe and repent of your sins if you want to be saved.

All the goodness a man has is predicated on God.

The differences between us come in the position obedience has in the life of the believer. Not a question of whether it should be there or not, but what gives weight to it (or rather what it gives weight to). Those who come to Him are necessarily drawn of the Father.

You sure have been taught by other men and not by God.

The things you say about the scriptures are the things false teachers say about them.

God draws everyone to Him, but some resist.

Status
Not open for further replies.