ECT Works of Righteousness connotes a lifestyle

Cross Reference

"He saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit", Titus 3:5 (ESV)

Does not washing of regeneration do the same?

nikolai_42

"He saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit", Titus 3:5 (ESV)

Does not washing of regeneration do the same?

It connotes one in the same thing :

Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.
I Peter 1:2

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Not of works, lest any man should boast.
For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Ephesians 2:8-10

Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

Titus 2:13-14

The good works follow salvation and evidence sanctification.

Cross Reference

It connotes one in the same thing :

Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.
I Peter 1:2

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Not of works, lest any man should boast.
For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Ephesians 2:8-10

Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

Titus 2:13-14

The good works follow salvation and evidence sanctification.

Does not all of that speak of a lifestyle? Does one arrive at that in "one fell swoop" or is it progressive in nature because sin and self need overcoming?

nikolai_42

Does not all of that speak of a lifestyle? Does one arrive at that in "one fell swoop" or is it progressive in nature because sin and self need overcoming?

Progressive sanctification.

But the path of the just is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day.
Proverbs 4:18

Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.
2 Corinthians 7:1

EDIT : Ephesians 5:18 exhorts us to "be filled" with the Holy Spirit. Somewhere deep in the recesses of my mind I recall a minister saying that the more literal rendering of that verse (I think it was that one) is "be being filled". It's a present continuous. Not a one time completion.

Cross Reference

Progressive sanctification.

But the path of the just is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day.
Proverbs 4:18

Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.
2 Corinthians 7:1

EDIT : Ephesians 5:18 exhorts us to "be filled" with the Holy Spirit. Somewhere deep in the recesses of my mind I recall a minister saying that the more literal rendering of that verse (I think it was that one) is "be being filled". It's a present continuous. Not a one time completion.

Was there anything progressive about the life of Jesus Christ? How come He had learn obedience? What was that all about?

nikolai_42

Was there anything progressive about the life of Jesus Christ? How come He had learn obedience? What was that all about?

And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.
Luke 2:52

So also Christ glorified not himself to be made an high priest; but he that said unto him, Thou art my Son, to day have I begotten thee.
As he saith also in another place, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.
Who in the days of his flesh, when he had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from death, and was heard in that he feared;
Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;
And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

Hebrews 5:5-9

Something was certainly progressive. Being humbled and taking the form of a servant (though He was in the form of God) meant a limitation upon Him. Thus, "the days of His flesh" emphasizes His humbling of Himself, taking on the limitations (in the flesh) of humanity but still walking perfectly (as to righteousness). He had to learn to walk when not in the very presence of the Father. That was His humanity. But He still "knew all men". Remember...the verse I quoted from Luke 2 comes on the heels of this :

And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom: and the grace of God was upon him.
And it came to pass, that after three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions.
And all that heard him were astonished at his understanding and answers.
And when they saw him, they were amazed: and his mother said unto him, Son, why hast thou thus dealt with us? behold, thy father and I have sought thee sorrowing.
And he said unto them, How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Father's business?
And he went down with them, and came to Nazareth, and was subject unto them: but his mother kept all these sayings in her heart.

Luke 2:40,46-49,51

So...already at 12 He was "filled with wisdom". He was able to hold His own in the temple. And He knew He was there to carry out His Father's business. But part of His humbling involved being subject to those over whom He had (spiritual) authority (eternally, that is). But, as the first verse states, He still had learning to do. I take it that this is all a part of His human "condition".

For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh
Romans 8:3

If Jesus had to learn some secret knowledge, then He was what the gnostics believe. But rather it was to enter into time to reveal what is (and was) instantaneously apparent in eternity. So in flesh, it was required for Him to suffer like as we - which (in part) meant being subject to those put in positions of authority over Him (in flesh).

As He grew, He did grow in wisdom (naturally) and He did have to learn to obey (overcoming the sinful flesh perfectly as indicated in Romans 8:3). Yet...through it all...He was utterly sinless. And only because He was Divine.

Cross Reference

And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.
Luke 2:52

So also Christ glorified not himself to be made an high priest; but he that said unto him, Thou art my Son, to day have I begotten thee.
As he saith also in another place, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.
Who in the days of his flesh, when he had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from death, and was heard in that he feared;
Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;
And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

Hebrews 5:5-9

Something was certainly progressive. Being humbled and taking the form of a servant (though He was in the form of God) meant a limitation upon Him. Thus, "the days of His flesh" emphasizes His humbling of Himself, taking on the limitations (in the flesh) of humanity but still walking perfectly (as to righteousness). He had to learn to walk when not in the very presence of the Father. That was His humanity. But He still "knew all men". Remember...the verse I quoted from Luke 2 comes on the heels of this :

And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom: and the grace of God was upon him.
And it came to pass, that after three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions.
And all that heard him were astonished at his understanding and answers.
And when they saw him, they were amazed: and his mother said unto him, Son, why hast thou thus dealt with us? behold, thy father and I have sought thee sorrowing.
And he said unto them, How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Father's business?
And he went down with them, and came to Nazareth, and was subject unto them: but his mother kept all these sayings in her heart.

Luke 2:40,46-49,51

So...already at 12 He was "filled with wisdom". He was able to hold His own in the temple. And He knew He was there to carry out His Father's business. But part of His humbling involved being subject to those over whom He had (spiritual) authority (eternally, that is). But, as the first verse states, He still had learning to do. I take it that this is all a part of His human "condition".

For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh
Romans 8:3

If Jesus had to learn some secret knowledge, then He was what the gnostics believe. But rather it was to enter into time to reveal what is (and was) instantaneously apparent in eternity.

As He grew, He did grow in wisdom (naturally) and He did have to learn to obey (overcoming the sinful flesh perfectly as indicated in Romans 8:3). Yet...through it all...He was utterly sinless. And only because He was Divine.

Secret knowledge??? I din't mention anything about any "secret knowledge".

"
So in flesh, it was required for Him to suffer like as we - which (in part) meant being subject to those put in positions of authority over Him (in flesh)."

In which case, at that point in time, Jesus could not have be Divine.

nikolai_42

Secret knowledge??? I din't mention anything about any "secret knowledge".

No...and I wasn't imputing that to you. Just following a thought and addressing a potential argument (again, not necessarily your potential argument).

So in flesh, it was required for Him to suffer like as we - which (in part) meant being subject to those put in positions of authority over Him (in flesh)."

In which case, at that point in time, Jesus could not have be Divine.

I disagree.

Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

Philippians 2:5-8

He may have given up His equality with God - but I think that's a separate debate. He didn't give up His very nature. He never gave up His identification with the Father ("I and My Father are one" ... "If you have seen Me, you have seen the Father"). If He had, then would He have given up His Divinity. What He gave up was all the glory and majesty and position, but not His very nature.

And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.
John 17:5

But Jesus did not commit himself unto them, because he knew all men,
And needed not that any should testify of man: for he knew what was in man.

John 2:24-25

And it came to pass, when Jesus had ended these sayings, the people were astonished at his doctrine:
For he taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes.

Matthew 7:28-29

And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
Matthew 28:18

A passable comparison is a king who forsakes his throne to walk among his people - veiled, as it were, so as to experience life as one of them and to lend his ears and eyes to their immediate need. He comes as one who has authority, but no position. Few know how he has this authority to make room at the inn for the sick or obtain food from the markets (seemingly without end) - but those who do business daily know the king's seal because it enforces the laws that protect them (and that collect tribute from them). This king has lost none of his ability to obtain what he needs to do what he set out to do. But he has given up quite a bit of recognition (which is a big part of glory!) to identify with the poorest in his kingdom. Indeed, he gives all he has - even ransacking his own storehouses to provide for the needy.

But he never ceased being king.

Cross Reference

No...and I wasn't imputing that to you. Just following a thought and addressing a potential argument (again, not necessarily your potential argument).

I disagree.

Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

Philippians 2:5-8

Written well past the ascension of Jesus Christ Who, by then, was a Glorified human being/Divine human being.

The only part of Him that was Divine, before that juncture in His life was __His Mind.

A passable comparison is a king who forsakes his throne to walk among his people - veiled, as it were, so as toexperience life as one of them and to lend his ears and eyes to their immediate need. He comes as one who has authority, but no position. Few know how he has this authority to make room at the inn for the sick or obtain food from the markets (seemingly without end) - but those who do business daily know the king's seal because it enforces the laws that protect them (and that collect tribute from them). This king has lost none of his ability to obtain what he needs to do what he set out to do. But he has given up quite a bit of recognition (which is a big part of glory!) to identify with the poorest in his kingdom. Indeed, he gives all he has - even ransacking his own storehouses to provide for the needy.

But he never ceased being king.

He never ceased being Lord either however, was He savior at that point in time?

nikolai_42

Written well past the ascension of Jesus Christ Who, by then, was a Glorified human being/Divine human being.

The only part of Him that was Divine, before that juncture in His life was __His Mind.

And what was He "before the world was"?

He never ceased being Lord either however, was He savior at that point in time?

I believe so. From before the world.

And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.
Genesis 3:15

And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.
Revelation 13:8

Cross Reference

And what was He "before the world was"?

The "Word" of the Godhead Who did have a form that Moses saw Ex.33:22.

Now compare that with John 1:1,2,14 and:

"For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.."1 John 5:7 (KJV)

Re Saviour:

I believe so. From before the world.

Only in the plan of God could He have been and that is OK however, the fulfillment is what we can only count on because of the record.