Winter Weather and Global Cooling

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Maybe we should have two political 'weather parties', one stirring up the global cooling, arctic blasts, and the coming of an ice-age?

Any good statistician will be able to show statistical relevance for either position.

We need a more balanced view on the man-made weather issue.:mmph:

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Maybe we should have two political 'weather parties', one stirring up the global cooling, arctic blasts, and the coming of an ice-age?

Any good statistician will be able to show statistical relevance for either position.

'Not a statistician, but I "know enough to be dangerous."

Depending upon which time intervals you sample, you could I think quite easily show that we are in a cold period in geologic history. IOW, that we are either in, going into, or coming out of, an ice age. Usually we're not so cold, IOW, if you believe the geologists, if I understand geologic history on a high level. This is cold, what we've seen for the past 10,000 years or so.

:idunno:

Quetzal

Yeah, you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
'Not a statistician, but I "know enough to be dangerous."

Depending upon which time intervals you sample, you could I think quite easily show that we are in a cold period in geologic history. IOW, that we are either in, going into, or coming out of, an ice age. Usually we're not so cold, IOW, if you believe the geologists, if I understand geologic history on a high level. This is cold, what we've seen for the past 10,000 years or so.

:idunno:

For the sake of parsimony, take a narrow sample of time and of location. Everyone does something for the sake of something:think:

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
For the sake of parsimony, take a narrow sample of time and of location. Everyone does something for the sake of something:think:
OK, so today was "a warm February day." Is this concerning? I'd have to know about other February days, to compare it to. Other February days over the past 20 years? Over the past 200 years? Is it more concerning if it's a warm February day over the past 20 years? or over the past 200 years? What about the past 20,000 years? 2 million?

'You know? :think:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
That would be a good idea.

Then, being a maverick on this one, will do qualitative, rather than quantitative research. Take a random sample of people living in Florida, ask if weather was part of their reason they moved there, and then ask if they felt as much cold twenty, thirty years ago.
A good start ;)

rexlunae

You act like the two are mutually exclusive, but the processes that could lead to an ice age are largely independent of the processes causing dangerous increases in the temperature.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v529/n7585/full/nature16494.html

It looks like we're in the clear on another ice age for a short while at least.