ECT Why believe God hardened Pharaoh's heart . .

nikolai_42

Was there any particular reason God would arbitrarily do such a thing?

It was far from arbitrary :

And the Lord said unto Moses, Rise up early in the morning, and stand before Pharaoh, and say unto him, Thus saith the Lord God of the Hebrews, Let my people go, that they may serve me.
For I will at this time send all my plagues upon thine heart, and upon thy servants, and upon thy people; that thou mayest know that there is none like me in all the earth.
For now I will stretch out my hand, that I may smite thee and thy people with pestilence; and thou shalt be cut off from the earth.
And in very deed for this cause have I raised thee up, for to shew in thee my power; and that my name may be declared throughout all the earth.

As yet exaltest thou thyself against my people, that thou wilt not let them go?
Exodus 9:13-17

beloved57

. . . . when He didn't before Pharaoh had already done so? What is the point?

Why believe God hardened Pharaoh's heart . .

Rom 9:17

17 For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.

God showed that His Power rules in a mans heart ! Even the greatest of men !

Prove 21:1

The king's heart is in the hand of the Lord, as the rivers of water: he turneth it whithersoever he will.

Cross Reference

Because Pharaoh was the elohim of the earth at the time. The most powerful leader on the planet. Even so he was no match for the Eternal Almighty who had decided to once more reveal his power and set His people free. If you ever read the Bible these facts are all in there.

Not as you have concluded, they aren't.

oatmeal

God gave Pharaoh five chances to repent. You never know when God is giving you your last call to live (Ge 6:3). You are not guaranteed a tomorrow (2 Co 6:2).

2 Thessalonians 2:9-13: The coming of the lawless one is by the activity of Satan with all power and false signs and wonders, and with all wicked deception for those who are perishing, because they refused to love the truth and so be saved.

They are perishing because they refuse the love of the truth? But wait, it gets worse.
bugsbunny.gif

Therefore God sends them a strong delusion...

God sends them a strong delusion? Why would God send them a strong delusion? But wait, it gets worse.
bugsbunny.gif

So that they may believe what is false.

So that they believe what is false? Why would God let them believe what is false? But wait, it gets worse.
bugsbunny.gif

In order that all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

As a reminder Oatmeal is number 18 on Satan, Inc. (TOL Heretics list) in "The 'Jesus is not God' people (Non-trinitarians) category. :burnlib:

A reminder that I take joy in knowing that I am on that list.

I John 3:1,13

When evil is attributed to God, there is a Hebrew idiom involved, for God is light and in him is no darkness at all, I Timothy 2:4, God wants all men to be saved, God is love, but since you already know it all, why should I repeat what you already know.

oatmeal

What if you'd been born to a Hindu family? Would you still trust the Christian Bible for no reason?

People who hunger and thirst for righteousness shall be filled, Matthew 5:6, regardless of their past or present.