Who was the serpent in the Garden of Eden

Bee1

Some say Satan was the serpent or use the serpent to intice Eva. But why would God curse the serpent if he was just an instrument used by Satan? And to be cursed to crawl on your belly for the rest of your life, the serpent must had limbs at one time or it no curse? Right.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

nikolai_42

Some say Satan was the serpent or use the serpent to intice Eva. But why would God curse the serpent if he was just an instrument used by Satan? And to be cursed to crawl on your belly for the rest of your life, the serpent must had limbs at one time or it no curse? Right.

And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
Revelation 12:9

But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.
2 Corinthians 11:3

The Greek word for serpent in both verses is the same. So I would say it's pretty well-established that Satan was the serpent in the Garden of Eden.

Bee1

And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

The Greek word for serpent in both verses is the same. So I would say it's pretty well-established that Satan was the serpent in the Garden of Eden.
Then why isn't Satan crawling around on his belly. In Jobs he in heaven talking to God? In Matthew he appears before Jesus not as a serpent. Where is Satan's curse ?

nikolai_42

Then why isn't Satan crawling around on his belly. In Jobs he in heaven talking to God? In Matthew he appears before Jesus not as a serpent. Where is Satan's curse ?

Paul tells the Galatians that Satan can appear as an angel of light, so I suspect that the curse you are talking about is a little more metaphorical - otherwise his only food would be dust. Where are the talking serpents today? Because the curse in Genesis 3:14 puts him below cattle. Do cattle talk? There wasn't anywhere (that I could tell) where his ability to talk was taken away. There are many serpents today in this fallen world but there is only one Satan. So to limit him (specifically) to a single appearance is missing the issue, I think.

Bee1

Paul tells the Galatians that Satan can appear as an angel of light, so I suspect that the curse you are talking about is a little more metaphorical - otherwise his only food would be dust. Where are the talking serpents today? Because the curse in Genesis 3:14 puts him below cattle. Do cattle talk? There wasn't anywhere (that I could tell) where his ability to talk was taken away. There are many serpents today in this fallen world but there is only one Satan. So to limit him (specifically) to a single appearance is missing the issue, I think.
I agree the devil can take on many forms. But why did God curse the unwitting serpent and what did the serpent look like before the curse. If the serpent always crawl on it belly since day 1 ,its no curse. The serpent must have wings or legs or something that was taken away. Every picture I seen of Eden the serpent was already on his belly.

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
We’re all used to the storybook Bible image of the long, thin snake slithering around the apple tree. But we might have to change our visual image of this scene.

The Hebrew word used to describe the “serpent,” nahash, implies something much more deadly.

Throughout the Old Testament nahash is used to refer to powerful, even gigantic, evil creatures. Isaiah calls the nahash a sea dragon, the great Leviathan (see Isaiah 27:1). Job also uses nahash to depict terrible sea monsters (see Job 26:13).

This is clearly the image the Book of Revelation has in mind when it describes “a huge red dragon” in the heavens, “the huge dragon, the ancient serpent, who is called the Devil and Satan, who deceived the whole world” (see Revelation 12:3,9).

The Church, of course, has always interpreted the serpent in Genesis 3 as Satan, the Devil in slithering form (see Catechism, nos. 391-395). So we know, as readers, something that Adam probably didn’t know - that this encounter with the serpent was a test against evil, a battle for the soul of mankind.

But we need to see what Adam saw. Once we appreciate that the serpent was a lot more than a little garden-variety snake, we begin to understand why Adam failed in his duties to “guard” his wife and Eden (see Genesis 2:15).

ttruscott

Being a willing servant of evil makes you as evil as your master. He was cursed to EAT dust which snakes don't do which tells us this is a metaphor for being debased in degradation before all of the universe. He was a person like everyone else except in his morals and intent.

Bee1

We’re all used to the storybook Bible image of the long, thin snake slithering around the apple tree. But we might have to change our visual image of this scene.

The Hebrew word used to describe the “serpent,” nahash, implies something much more deadly.

Throughout the Old Testament nahash is used to refer to powerful, even gigantic, evil creatures. Isaiah calls the nahash a sea dragon, the great Leviathan (see Isaiah 27:1). Job also uses nahash to depict terrible sea monsters (see Job 26:13).

This is clearly the image the Book of Revelation has in mind when it describes “a huge red dragon” in the heavens, “the huge dragon, the ancient serpent, who is called the Devil and Satan, who deceived the whole world” (see Revelation 12:3,9).

The Church, of course, has always interpreted the serpent in Genesis 3 as Satan, the Devil in slithering form (see Catechism, nos. 391-395). So we know, as readers, something that Adam probably didn’t know - that this encounter with the serpent was a test against evil, a battle for the soul of mankind.

But we need to see what Adam saw. Once we appreciate that the serpent was a lot more than a little garden-variety snake, we begin to understand why Adam failed in his duties to “guard” his wife and Eden (see Genesis 2:15).
My understanding of the serpent in Eden was his job to keep the garden tended to and fine jewels and such and maintain order. The Hebrew word "satan" means adversary, so maybe satan in Eden was not Lucifer but one of his minions. It makes sense in that context. Just one of those little things that cames across my mind while listening to talk radio when I drive.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

It also says the serpent would eat dust all the days of his life.
I don't think snakes eat dust for food.

Bee1

Who or what is the serpent in the garden of Eden, in your opinion.
It also says the serpent would eat dust all the days of his life.
I don't think snakes eat dust for food.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Who or what is the serpent in the garden of Eden, in your opinion.

Satan.

I can give you 1 view of many that might help to look at things from different perspectives.
I'll be brief and just hit the highlights of the view.

Man was made from dust, but did not become living until the breath of GOD entered.
So dust can be an idiom of death --- ie. dust is dead and has no life.
"He bit the dust" is a idiom we sometimes even use today to imply that he is dead.
So in that sense, Satan only has death to devour (ie. one without life) and will never taste life.

Bee1

Satan.

I can give you 1 view of many that might help to look at things from different perspectives.
I'll be brief and just hit the highlights of the view.

Man was made from dust, but did not become living until the breath of GOD entered.
So dust can be an idiom of death --- ie. dust is dead and has no life.
"He bit the dust" is a idiom we sometimes even use today to imply that he is dead.
So in that sense, Satan only has death to devour (ie. one without life) and will never taste life.
Metaphorically speaking of course. Ok.

beameup

nachash could mean "shining one" or "deceiver".

Dr Michael S. Heiser, "the Hebrew root is the basis for a noun, verb, and adjective. Of course as a noun it is usually the word for serpent. The verb form means deceiver or diviner with divine knowledge. The adjective version means bronze or brazen with a bright shine. Therefore, used as an adjective it should be translated as “shining one.""

chair

You didn't quote the relevant verse in Genesis. Which, by the way, wasn't written in Greek.

TrevorL

Greetings Bee1,
Who was the serpent in the Garden of Eden?
I believe that the serpent was one of the creatures that God made in Eden. He was more subtle or discerning than the other creatures and God gave him the ability to express his thoughts in words.
Genesis 3:1-5 (KJV): 1 Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden? 2 And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden: 3 But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die. 4 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: 5 For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

Kind regards
Trevor

Bee1

Greetings Bee1,I believe that the serpent was one of the creatures that God made in Eden. He was more subtle or discerning than the other creatures and God gave him the ability to express his thoughts in words.
Genesis 3:1-5 (KJV): 1 Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden? 2 And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden: 3 But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die. 4 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: 5 For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

Kind regards
Trevor
You don't believe Revelation old serpent is satan?

TrevorL

Greetings again Bee1,
You don't believe Revelation old serpent is satan?
I believe that the serpent in the garden was a creature, one of the animals created on the sixth day Genesis 1:24-25. I believe that Revelation is given in symbolic language to depict events somewhere between AD 96 and the coming or the revealing of Jesus Christ. I understand Revelation 12 in particular is speaking of the overthrow of the Pagan Roman system and its replacement by Constantine by the corrupt Catholic Church system.

Kind regards
Trevor