When to Homeschool?

Minerva

Let's make sure we know I said my dad, and not me! ;) I was a city girl, I just live in the country now. :cool:

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm a redneck. I was raised on or around dairies most of my childhood. Not a big deal to me. My mom's family are Smiths who come from Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kentucky, and Tennessee.

BTW, off-topic, did you hear the news? Nestle bought Jenny Craig. I would love a diet like that. :chuckle:

GayChristian

BANNED
Banned
I have a question, if I may. Please know that I haven't been able to read through all the posts here, so my apologies if this has been asked already. And, please know that there is sincerely no judgement in this question, I am genuinely curious.

Homeschooling raises a few issues for me, but I know I am basing them upon only having known a few people in my life that were schooled at home. However, one of the things that concerns me is that these people were so sheltered by homeschooling, that they didn't seem to know how to interact with other kids. I guess my question is, has anyone seen damage done by sheltering these kids from things parents don't want them to see or know about? How do they develop the right tools to deal with drugs, sexuality, and a whole plethora of issues? It would seem to me that you can't keep them from these things forever.

Again, this is a sincere question, I am not trying to provoke anyone.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
GayChristian said:
I have a question, if I may. Please know that I haven't been able to read through all the posts here, so my apologies if this has been asked already. And, please know that there is sincerely no judgement in this question, I am genuinely curious.

No problem. That's what I live for, to answer people's questions. :chuckle:

Homeschooling raises a few issues for me, but I know I am basing them upon only having known a few people in my life that were schooled at home. However, one of the things that concerns me is that these people were so sheltered by homeschooling, that they didn't seem to know how to interact with other kids. I guess my question is, has anyone seen damage done by sheltering these kids from things parents don't want them to see or know about? How do they develop the right tools to deal with drugs, sexuality, and a whole plethora of issues? It would seem to me that you can't keep them from these things forever.

This question sounds like something my step-dad would ask. When I first started homeschooling, he said that a child needs to be exposed to bullies and drugs in public school in order to be "normal." He stopped saying that when he saw how my daughter was turning out without being exposed to those things every day.

Well, with the people my daughter knows, she knows more about drugs, sexuality and other things than I want her to. She knows one girl who is very promiscuous (I would put a stop to that relationship except that my daughter seems to be teaching this girl that it's better to wait.), her best friend's brother has offered her pot (I'm proud of her for saying no to him). My sister is a drunk, a drug addict, and has different men coming in and out of her life all the time.

Why does a child need to be exposed to these things everyday in order to learn about them? I've taught my daughter about different forms of what I believe to be deviant behaviour. She's coming to the age where she will be able to choose how to live her life for herself. I have to teach her the way I believe is correct. Then, hopefully, she will have learned enough to live her life in a righteous, moral manner.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
GayChristian said:

What do you want them to learn about drugs? How wuch crack it takes to get a decent high? They can learn enough about sex after they are married! Kids don't learn proper adult behaviour from other kids. They learn it from adults!

The CBG

BANNED
Banned
There is never a good time to home school. I’ve heard all the reasons for it, but I have never met a homeschooled child that had one once of social skills. I hope no one really would take home schooling seriously.

Minerva

My idea is to pull them out of school during the middle school years, grades 6 through 9th. Then have it be their decision if they want to go to public school after that. It isn't that I am trying to shelter my children from anything. I want them to learn about certain things in a more appropriate manner. I don't want them to be pulled in to some of the very disturbing things that middle school children do these days. Some people would be quite surprised if they knew what children do and talk about even in elementary school!

I feel like the age that a child is in middle school is the most impressionable and the most delicate. Many people I have talked to say that a lot of the issues they have as adults stemed from experiences in middle school, or during that time period. I want my kids to have interaction with other people and be faced with things so that they might learn from the situation like everyone else does. I would just like to have them under my guidance during their more delicate years so that they might develop the attitudes and the moral standing to deal with things appropriately at a later time.

I would also like to say that it isn't just other children that I have a problem with in the schools either, it's the adults as well. Times have changed since I was in school and people are just crazy these days. Some of the things they try to teach your kids in school are just absurd. Like I said, it's those impressionable years that are most important in my opinion. I also feel that my kids would benefit from home schooling becasue they are very bright and could advance more rapidly than if they were in public school.

Minerva

The CBG said:
There is never a good time to home school. I’ve heard all the reasons for it, but I have never met a homeschooled child that had one once of social skills. I hope no one really would take home schooling seriously.

I am sorry that this is the way you feel. I am sure, however, that you must be aware that your experiences cannot adequately account for the outcome of all homeschooled children. Each parent makes their own decision based on the needs of their child. Making the decision to take on the task of homeschooling a child is no job for a slacker. I feel confident that I can provide my children with a well balanced plate of all essential elements, otherwise I would not be considering this.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The CBG said:
You must live a very sheltered life.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The CBG said:

What are the schools supposed to be doing with our children? Educating them. :doh: Social skills are learned in life, whether you're taught them in school or not.

I have never met a public schooled child that has the ability to socialize with more than just his/her age group. I hope no one really would take public schools seriously.

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
There is never a bad time to start homeschooling. Once you start, don't stop, you only have your children for a short time. Enjoy every moment and don't let the government school destroy them.