What Happens after Death?

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Theology Thursday: What Happens after Death?

This is the show from Thursday September 10th, 2015

SUMMARY:

* No Soul Sleep: On today's Theology Thursday, Bob explains that the Bible does not teach "soul sleep" after death and what the Bible really does tell is about what happens after we die.

trading_genesis_store__32143.1441153425.1280.1280.jpg

Today's Resource: Trading Genesis (for Secular Theories)

Pepperdine University in California has long enjoyed a reputation as a leading conservative Christian institution. Today, however, Pepperdine’s faculty teaches theistic evolution. Though affiliated with the Church of Christ, the theistic evolution of the school’s science and theology professors is indistinguishable from the methodological naturalism of the atheist.

In 2015, the administration denied a request by some Pepperdine alumni to present a lecture on biblical creation. Not deterred, both longtime and recent graduates organized their own creation-evolution conference on the school’s campus and advertised it in the Malibu Times newspaper.

The organizers invited Bob Enyart, the host of Denver-based Real Science Radio, to speak at the event held concurrently with the school's heavily-attended Bible Lectureship series. Enyart demonstrated with seven examples that the atheistic materialist worldview does not even have a theory of origins for anyone to side with. And thus, Pepperdine University has traded away special creation (and many other biblical teachings, also listed in this presentation) for absolutely nothing.

See also Bob Enyart's debate with an acclaimed British author at rsr.org/theistic-evolution. Enjoy the fun science facts at rsr.org/young-earth. And see more about this Pepperdine event at rsr.org/trading-genesis.

Available on Blu-ray or DVD
Bulk Pricing Now Available!

DonTheology

I'm not sure where Bob is getting the idea that there is no concept in the bible that indicates death as if it where like a sleep. Its about the most common phrase used to describe death. A simple search of the word 'slept' will show this:

1Kings 2:10 So David slept with his fathers, and was buried in the city of David.
1Kings 11:43 And Solomon slept with his fathers, and was buried in the city of David his father: and Rehoboam his son reigned in his stead.
1Kings 14:20 And the days which Jeroboam reigned were two and twenty years: and he slept with his fathers, and Nadab his son reigned in his stead.
1Kings 14:31 And Rehoboam slept with his fathers, and was buried with his fathers in the city of David. And his mother's name was Naamah an Ammonitess. And Abijam his son reigned in his stead.
1Kings 15:8 And Abijam slept with his fathers; and they buried him in the city of David: and Asa his son reigned in his stead.
1Kings 15:24 And Asa slept with his fathers, and was buried with his fathers in the city of David his father: and Jehoshaphat his son reigned in his stead.
1Kings 16:6 So Baasha slept with his fathers, and was buried in Tirzah: and Elah his son reigned in his stead.
1Kings 16:28 So Omri slept with his fathers, and was buried in Samaria: and Ahab his son reigned in his stead.
1Kings 22:40 So Ahab slept with his fathers; and Ahaziah his son reigned in his stead.
1Ki 22:50 And Jehoshaphat slept with his fathers, and was buried with his fathers in the city of David his father: and Jehoram his son reigned in his stead.
etc.

1 Corinthians 15:20 But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept.
1 Thessalonians 4:15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.
Daniel 12:2 And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

Jesus and Lazarus:

John 11:11 These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep.
:12 Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well.
:13 Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep.
:14 Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.

The thief on the cross, which day in paradise?:

If Jesus was dead for three days then the thief on the cross could not have been in paradise with him on the day of preparation (Friday).

Matthew 28:1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.
:2 And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it.

John 20:17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

Kind David

Acts 2:22 Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:
:23 Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:
:24 Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.
:25 For David speaketh concerning him, I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved:
:26 Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope:
:27 Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
:28 Thou hast made known to me the ways of life; thou shalt make me full of joy with thy countenance.
:29 Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.
:30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;
:31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

Acts 13:29 And when they had fulfilled all that was written of him, they took him down from the tree, and laid him in a sepulchre.
:30 But God raised him from the dead:
:31 And he was seen many days of them which came up with him from Galilee to Jerusalem, who are his witnesses unto the people.
:32 And we declare unto you glad tidings, how that the promise which was made unto the fathers,
:33 God hath fulfilled the same unto us their children, in that he hath raised up Jesus again; as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee.
:34 And as concerning that he raised him up from the dead, now no more to return to corruption, he said on this wise, I will give you the sure mercies of David.
:35 Wherefore he saith also in another psalm, Thou shalt not suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
:36 For David, after he had served his own generation by the will of God, fell on sleep, and was laid unto his fathers, and saw corruption:
:37 But he, whom God raised again, saw no corruption.

The words used

Going by the words used through out the scriptures, the clearer teachings favours the concept of 'soul-sleep,' contrary to Bob's views. A view which doesn't show anyone that had lived on earth, died, went to heaven and came to share it with those living on earth.

All will awake out of the first death and face their judgement. In this it is like sleep.
Hebrews 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: