ECT What does it mean to live one's life . . . .

Cross Reference

. . . . wholly unto God? Do I live my life "for" Him or "unto" Him? Which understanding will bring Him the most satisfaction __ and why?

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Life in the bible is defined by whether one has the Holy Spirit or not.

John 6:63
63 "It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.
(NKJ)

One can be dead while their alive.

1 Tim 5:6
6 But she who lives in pleasure is dead while she lives.
(NKJ)

nikolai_42

. . . . wholly unto God? Do I live my life "for" Him or "unto" Him? Which understanding will bring Him the most satisfaction __ and why?

Inasmuch as there is a separation of "me" and "God" in that living (living "for" God implies a transaction where we give God something that is ours to begin with, not rendering unto Him something that is already His), one is not living wholly unto God. So it would seem to me that (of the two terms), "unto" is the more accurate.

What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

I Corinthians 6:19-20

Cross Reference

Inasmuch as there is a separation of "me" and "God" in that living (living "for" God implies a transaction where we give God something that is ours to begin with, not rendering unto Him something that is already His), one is not living wholly unto God. So it would seem to me that (of the two terms), "unto" is the more accurate.

In capsule form, I would say that living for Him is an open ended way of doing what I want and asking God to bless it. If things go well, I might even take the credit except maybe if I am pressed or want to put on display by my testimony, my 'relationship' with God of how He heard my prayer and 'blessed' me.

To live wholly "unto"? Check out the lives of the Prophets, Elijah and Elisha, when what they performed was directly from the Mind of God; a kind of thing where their faith was fully vested in God. The closest example for us we can see in Jesus Who had these words: "Abide in Me and I will abide you". That is a conditional promise that, if pursued, will enrich our lives to a fulfillment laid out in Romans 8 __ our Spiritual "promised" land..