ECT Understanding “the crown of life” is critically important!

ZacharyB

There are many dire warnings in the NT that do not clearly and obviously,
and without any doubt whatsoever … refer to losing eternal life.
A prime example is “the crown of life” passages.

“Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved,
he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.
… But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed.
Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown,
brings forth (eternal) death. Do not be deceived, my beloved brethren”
(James 1:12-16)

Please note the 2 opposites above:
No sinning --> the crown of life … vs … Sinning --> eternal death!
“The believer who perseveres will receive the crown of life. The “crown of life” is the crown of
victory over sin, or the crown of victory in our life’s race. The main meaning of the crown of life
is salvation, or eternal life.”
(The Applied New Testament Commentary -- Thomas Hale, 1996, ChariotVictor Publishing)

Dr. Hale is a Spirit-filled believer who served as a medical missionary with Interserve in Nepal.

“Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life.
He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.
He who overcomes shall not be hurt by the second death.” (Revelation 2:10-11)

Please note the 2 opposites above:
Being faithful until death --> the crown of life … vs … Not overcoming --> eternal death!
“Above all, the church at Smyrna needed encouragement and strength to endure persecution.
If they remained firm to the end – to the point of death – they would receive the crown of life,
that is, eternal life (see Mark 13:13, 1 Cor 9:25, 1 Pet 5:4) … The second death mentioned here
means eternal death; it is the final punishment for all evildoers.”
(The Applied New Testament Commentary -- Thomas Hale, 1996, ChariotVictor Publishing)

“He who overcomes shall inherit all things, and I will be his God and he shall be
My son. But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns
with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.” (Revelation 21:7-8)

“And you will be hated by all for My name’s sake. But he who endures (in his faith)
to the end (of his life) shall be saved.” (Mark 13:13)

Confirmations:
1 Cor 16:13, Gal 5:1, Phil 4:1, Col 1:22-23, Heb 10:35-36, James 5:7-8, 1 Pet 5:9
“Here the words “to the end” do not mean “to the end of the world”. They mean to ‘stand firm
unto death’, to stand firm completely, to stand firm no matter what persecution comes upon us. To “stand firm” means to stand firm in faith. Those who stand firm in the faith will be saved. Those who do not stand frim in the faith will not be saved. … Let us not be like the seed planted on rocky soil that withered and died as soon as the sun came out. Those who endure for a while and then fall away have believed in vain (see Mark 4:16-17).”

Here’s that “falling away” from the faith again … unto eternal death.

Running “the race of life” faithfully with endurance --> the imperishable crown of righteousness:
• “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.” (2 Timothy 4:7-8)
• “Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. And everyone who competes for the prize
is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for
an imperishable crown. Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight:
not as one who beats the air. But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.”
(1 Corinthians 9:24-27)
• “The elders who are among you I exhort, I who am a fellow elder and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that will be revealed … and when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that does not fade away.” (1 Peter 5:1,4)
• “… let us lay aside every weight and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us …” (Hebrews 12:1)
• “… lest by any means I might run, or had run, in vain.” (Galatians 2:2)
• “… he is not crowned unless he competes according to the rules.” (2 Timothy 2:5)
• “Hold fast what you have, that no one may take your crown. He who overcomes…”
(Revelation 3:11-12)

Please do notice there are NO crowns (plural) mentioned anywhere above.
No different crowns of varying values … re: rewards.
When it comes to the crown of eternal life, there is only one!

Last edited: