Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Clete Pfeiffer

Son Of The King,

First let me say that it was not my intention to accuse you of anything. It's just that I've been a family counselor for several years and am familiar with people who are in "recovery" as you put it and there are a few phrases that you use to describe your situation that popped up red flags.
I will explain, and if I've read too much into your statements then let me know and I'll leave it at that.

Originally posted by SOTK4ever
This one is a hard one for me. First of all, I can't drink. I'm in recovery. Second of all, I've been on both sides of the disease of alcoholism. I'm a drunk and grew up with my dad being a drunk so I am gonna be biased about this position.
You sir, are not a drunk! You are a son of The King! (I have it pretty good authority that you are aware of this fact! ;) ) Don't identify yourself with you sin. Instead focus on your true identity!
And yes you can drink, not that it is within my purview to give you permission, but simply that it is an overstatement of the facts. What you can not do is to get drunk! Now, the two may be one in the same for now, but the distinction is an important one for the sake of preserving the power of Grace in your life.

My wife doesn't drink at all. She doesn't drink to support me, to be a good influence on our kids, and because we both feel that drinking can separate us from God. I know this to be a fact of course. That's what drinking did.
You wife's support of her husband is a good influence on your kids, not the lack of drinking. Again, I know this must seem like a very fine line to draw but it is vital that you avoid the impression that following a set of rules has anything to do with what sort of standing you have before God.
And it wasn't drinking that separated you from God, it was sin. They are not the same thing.

We just don't see how drinking can glorify God.
Have you forgotten that Jesus' first miracle was to turn water into wine?

Our Church pretty much takes this position as well.
It would be impossible for an organization of any sort to take such a position without placing its members under law.

Also, I am to be a disciple and to make other disciples.
Then by what ever means, do not set up rules for them to follow! You will be doing them more harm than good.

Drinking, I feel, sets a bad example. Again, I know this to be true as it's been my experience.
In what way does drinking set a bad example? Drinking is not a sin. Getting drunk is a sin, but drinking is not!
Further, experience is not a good basis upon which to establish truth. Paul warns us over and over not to place ourselves back under the law by placing restrictions here and regulations there and that if we do, Christ will profit us nothing. This is the truth despite what your experience tells you.
If you rely on your self imposed prohibition from drinking to keep you from being an addict then you are sandy ground indeed. Instead, recon yourself dead unto sin but alive unto Christ! Rely upon His power, the power of His resurrection and you will be truly free. This is the only true way to righteousness.

"To refuse to make ‘resolutions’ and ‘vows’; for that is to trust in the flesh."

"To expect to be blessed, though realizing more and more lack of worth…"

"To ‘hope to be better’ [hence acceptable] is to fail to see yourself in Christ only."

"To be disappointed with yourself, is to have believed in yourself."
All four quotes by Miles J Stanford

Resting in Him,
Clete
Great post, Clete! :first: (But SOTK stands for Servant of the King. ;) :D )

[CONTEXT]

Status
Not open for further replies.