Trump AT HIS BEST...

Danoh

Donald Trump Doesn't Appear to Have a Clue Why the Civil War Was Fought

The president reveals his profound ignorance of American history in a mortifying new interview.

By Laura Clawson / DailyKos
May 1, 2017

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-po...snt-appear-have-clue-why-civil-war-was-fought

Donald Trump is extremely confused again, where confused means ignorant beyond reckoning. Let’s start your reading of his discussion, with interviewer Salena Zito, of the seventh president of the United States and his lessons about the Civil War, with a couple of very basic facts about Jackson and the war.

Andrew Jackson was president of the United States from 1829 to 1837 and died in 1845. The Civil War began in 1861.

"I mean had Andrew Jackson been a little later you wouldn’t have had the Civil War. He was a very tough person but he had a big heart. He was really angry that he saw what was happening with regard to the Civil War, he said “There’s no reason for this.” People don’t realize, you know, the Civil War, if you think about it, why? People don’t ask that question, but why was there the Civil War? Why could that one not have been worked out?"

Maybe Trump has some kind of direct line to the afterlife and has used it to get the scoop on Jackson’s feelings about the Civil War, but otherwise, there are some chronological issues with the claim that when Jackson “saw what was happening with regard to the Civil War, he said ‘There’s no reason for this.’”

But beyond the chronology … “People don’t realize, you know, the Civil War, if you think about it, why? People don’t ask that question, but why was there the Civil War?”

Did Donald Trump not take middle school or high school or college history? Because “What were the reasons for the Civil War?” is pretty much the classic thing U.S. history classes talk about. And the answer, after much debate, is slavery. F’ing slavery. This is something the current occupant of the White House appears to think is a mystery.

His next question: “Why could that one not have been worked out?” Uh, because Donald Trump was not there to do a deal? Or, you know, because slave owners were willing to go to war to continue enslaving and torturing and raping other human beings. Maybe because of that.

This is astounding. You have to wonder if the “Why was there the Civil War? Why could that one not have been worked out?” is some kind of signaling to white supremacists, but the, um, confusion over Andrew Jackson having died more than 15 years before the event Trump insists he had strong feelings about raises the question of what else is going on with Trump here. What bedtime stories is Steve Bannon telling him that leave him not just sounding like a slavery apologist but one who doesn’t know that 1845 came before 1861?

rexlunae

It seems President Banning is still around, writing his rally speeches and giving him really bad roll models and bad history. You know what I find most disturbing? He didn't say what he thought Jackson would have done to prevent the Civil War. He seems to think he could have averted it by the strength of his genocidal will. What that says about his governing style is worrying.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
Liberals are mad because Trump says a horrific civil war could've been avoided.
Trump can't even manage to repeal and replace Obamacare with Republican majorities in the House and Senate

BUT

he would have us believe that he could have succeeded in averting the Civil War where Lincoln failed!

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
he would have us believe that he could have succeeded in averting the Civil War where Lincoln failed!

ummmm

no

he would have us believe that Andrew Jackson could have succeeded in averting the Civil War where Lincoln failed

and historically, there's no reason not to believe it possible - england had ended slavery in its colonies by the late 30's - if the abolitionist movement in england had pushed legislation banning the importation of raw materials (sugar, cotton) from slave-owning states, the market for Caribbean sugar and cotton from the american south would have collapsed, as would have the viability of the system of slavery

but try to convince the rationality of that argument to the deranged retard who penned this:

His next question: “Why could that one not have been worked out?” Uh, because Donald Trump was not there to do a deal? Or, you know, because slave owners were willing to go to war to continue enslaving and torturing and raping other human beings. Maybe because of that.

and you'll hit a brick wall

note the difference between my analysis and the retard's analysis

the reasons for the civil war:

me: because slavery was profitable
retard: because slave owners were evil

drbrumley

You didn't find his comment strange?

It's called an opinion......Trump is entitled to his own opinion. Imagine that!

I might add, people don't ask why was the civil war, because they are force fed with a spoon in government indoctrination centers as to why......

drbrumley

Trump can't even manage to repeal and replace Obamacare with Republican majorities in the House and Senate

BUT

You made that up......you hate the guy so much you comment on just about anything Trump....

Trump kissed a baby today "how repulsive" says JGarden....

Besides, Trump didn't say He (Trump) could have averted the war, he said Jackson, if HE (Jackson) was around alittle later.......even a rock understands what he meant...

Liberals....

ok doser

But he didn't say how it could have been avoided. What would slave-owner Jackson and his "big heart" have done to avoid it?

criminalize the abolitionist movement

make slavery legal throughout all the states! :banana:

drbrumley

But he didn't say how it could have been avoided. What would slave-owner Jackson and his "big heart" have done to avoid it?

It could have been avoided...we are the only nation to fight a war to abolish slavery (so called)....why is that?

drbrumley

criminalize the abolitionist movement

make slavery legal throughout all the states! :banana:

Funny you mention that....He (Lincoln) hated the abolitionist movement, and was perfectly willing to make it (slavery) legal in states where it existed at the time.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
It could have been avoided...we are the only nation to fight a war to abolish slavery (so called)....why is that?
Of course war isn't necessary to solve issues. I'm not saying the CW was inevitable. I'm saying pointing to Jackson as someone to avoid the war seems strange.

rexlunae

ummmm

no

he would have us believe that Andrew Jackson could have succeeded in averting the Civil War where Lincoln failed

and historically, there's no reason not to believe it possible - england had ended slavery in its colonies by the late 30's - if the abolitionist movement in england had pushed legislation banning the importation of raw materials (sugar, cotton) from slave-owning states, the market for Caribbean sugar and cotton from the american south would have collapsed, as would have the viability of the system of slavery

but try to convince the rationality of that argument to the deranged retard who penned this:

and you'll hit a brick wall

note the difference between my analysis and the retard's analysis

the reasons for the civil war:

me: because slavery was profitable
retard: because slave owners were evil

I don't know if you realize this, but it was not the abolitionists who seceded.

ok doser

It could have been avoided...we are the only nation to fight a war to abolish slavery....why is that?

good question with dozens of half-answers

the most persuasive to me is that it was still very profitable in the american south and the south was willing to fight to protect their financial interests

rexlunae

It's called an opinion......Trump is entitled to his own opinion. Imagine that!

He's entitled to an opinion. It's just, being President, one hopes it wouldn't be a completely moronic one.

I might add, people don't ask why was the civil war, because they are force fed with a spoon in government indoctrination centers as to why......

My recollection is that you're a historical revisionist.

rexlunae

Funny you mention that....He (Lincoln) hated the abolitionist movement, and was perfectly willing to make it (slavery) legal in states where it existed at the time.

Which is part of the reason he seems like a strange choice to avoid the Civil War. It seems like his tactic to avoid it would have been to be ardently in favor of slavery...which is kinda averting your eyes from the greater problem.