To Call upon the Name of the Lord !

beloved57

Rom 10:13

13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

One of the most abused scriptures in the Bible, along with Jn 3:16 is Rom 10:13 because mans religion has used it to promote salvation conditioned on man, on a work of man, or something a man/person must do[mentally] in order to get saved.

The fact of the matter is that a lost person dead in sin , without Spiritual life and light, cannot and will not Call upon the Name of the Lord.

A person doesnt call upon the Name of the Lord until they are quickned with new life. Ps 80:18

18 So will not we go back from thee: quicken us, and we will call upon thy name.

The Spirit in New Birth quickens the elect Sheep Jn 6:63

63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

This quickening must precede any Spiritually relevant calling upon the Name of the Lord !

The flesh, [being unregenerate] is worthless in this matter !

beameup

For with the heart one believes unto righteousness,
and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
- Romans 10-10

Heart, not mind
PS: The Gospel of Grace is found within Paul's Epistles.
Other Gospels are found elsewhere.

beloved57

[h=2]To Call upon the Name of the Lord !2[/h]
Naturally men cant Call upon the Name of the Lord [Jesus Christ the Son of God], no He must be revealed by the Holy Spirit, revealed in them. Remember Jesus said no man knoweth the Son right here Matt 11:25-27

25 At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes.
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]26 Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight.
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]27 All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him.

And the Father reveals the Son Matt 16:13-17

13 When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?
14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.
15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?
16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

Sure men had a human natural knowledge of Christ back then, and even today men have a natural notion of Christ, but thats not the Divine Revelation of Christ that the Father gives of Him by the Holy Spirit !

So you cant call upon the Son if you dont know Him, and no man naturally knows Him except Jesus is Mistaken in Matt 11:27

All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father

Nanja

Amen to parts 1 and 2 Brother !

Only a person who is already Believing and in a Saved state is calling upon the Name of the Lord, because a person in a lost / condemned state can't believe the Gospel because it's being hid from him.

2 Cor. 4:3-4
But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: 4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

Also, a person can't call on Him whom they have not believed:

Rom. 10:14
How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

So those calling upon the name of the Lord must have already been in a Saved state to have the ability to do so, and please God Rom. 8:7-8.

John 8:47
He that is of God [Born of God] heareth God's Words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.

Last edited:

beloved57

Amen to parts 1 and 2 Brother !

Only a person who is already Believing and in a Saved state is calling upon the Name of the Lord, because a person in a lost / condemned state can't believe the Gospel because it's being hid from him.

2 Cor. 4:3-4
But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: 4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

Also, a person can't call on Him whom they have not believed:

Rom. 10:14
How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

So those calling upon the name of the Lord must have already been in a Saved state to have the ability to do so, and please God Rom. 8:7-8.

John 8:47
He that is of God [Born of God] heareth God's Words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.

Amen Sister !

beloved57

To Call upon the Name of the Lord !3

To call upon the Name of the Lord denotes much more than merely saying Jesus name. Its actually acknowledgement of all the authority and blessing in and by the Person and Work of Jesus Christ. Its the greek word onoma

1. the name is used for everything which the name covers, everything the thought or feeling of which is aroused in the mind by mentioning, hearing, remembering, the name, i.e. for one's rank, authority, interests, pleasure, command, excellences, deeds etc.

It also means ginōskō :

1. to learn to know, come to know, get a knowledge of perceive, feel
      1. to become known
    2. to know, understand, perceive, have knowledge of
      1. to understand

See the word name in Rom 10:13 is made up of two words which one is ginōskō :

And theres no Spiritual knowing, and understanding, or perceiving of Jesus Christ in His Person and accomplished work apart from a Divine revelation inwardly by the Spirit Eph 1:17-18

17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:

18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,

beloved57

To Call upon the Name of the Lord !4

Now with these things in mind, No one can Call Jesus Lord except by in the Spirit 1 Cor 12:3

Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

The word by here is the prep en which means:

A primary preposition denoting (fixed) position (in place, time or state), and (by implication) instrumentality (medially or constructively), i.e. a relation of rest

This denotes that one must be led of, guided by, influenced by the Holy Spirit to Spiritually call upon the Name of the Lord.

So Rom 10:13 isn't stating that Calling upon the Name of the Lord is a condition to get saved, but its an evidence of One having been saved. See the Phrase " shall be saved" doesn't only describe a future event, but it also defines a present reality as evidenced by doing an action.

For in stance, Who is the new player for the team ? Its he that shall be walking towards the gym.

And so that's the saved person, the one who shall be calling upon the name of the Lord, the action of calling upon His Name is evidential of having been saved, regenerated and led by the Spirit.

Nanja

To Call upon the Name of the Lord !4

Now with these things in mind, No one can Call Jesus Lord except by in the Spirit 1 Cor 12:3

Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

The word by here is the prep en which means:

A primary preposition denoting (fixed) position (in place, time or state), and (by implication) instrumentality (medially or constructively), i.e. a relation of rest

This denotes that one must be led of, guided by, influenced by the Holy Spirit to Spiritually call upon the Name of the Lord.

So Rom 10:13 isn't stating that Calling upon the Name of the Lord is a condition to get saved, but its an evidence of One having been saved. See the Phrase " shall be saved" doesn't only describe a future event, but it also defines a present reality as evidenced by doing an action.

For in stance, Who is the new player for the team ? Its he that shall be walking towards the gym.

And so that's the saved person, the one who shall be calling upon the name of the Lord, the action of calling upon His Name is evidential of having been saved, regenerated and led by the Spirit.

Amen to parts 3 and 4 ! And calling on the Name of the Lord from a God-Given New Heart in New Birth Ezek. 36:26-27 bears evidence of one being Chosen in Christ to have forgiveness of sins Eph.1:4-7; Saved by God's Grace Given them before the world began 2 Tim. 1:9.