Tlaib and Omar Co-Sponsor Bill To Recognize Muslim Holidays

drbrumley

As Federal Holidays.

Freshman Congressmen Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib have wasted no time in shaking up the US House of Representatives. Early Friday morning, Omar and Tlaib introduced a bill adding Islamic holidays to the Federal calendar which has traditionally only recognized American holidays.

Kit the Coyote

Fake News Literally. The source is a parody news site.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tlaib-omar-muslim-holidays/

as of mid-January 2019, neither Tlaib nor Omar was shown on the website of the U.S. Congress as having sponsored (or co-sponsored) any legislation at all, much less legislation pertaining to Islamic affairs. It seems unlikely, moreover, that the first legislative endeavor of any fledgling representative would be trying to create new federal holidays. The last time Congress passed a bill designating a new federal holiday was in 1983 when Martin Luther King, Jr.’s birthday received formal recognition. No president since Ronald Reagan has signed such a bill.

Kit the Coyote

As Snopes pointed out the general public feels there is already too many federal holidays and so it is hard to pass new ones. If you were to go this route it ought to be part of a general overhaul of all federal holidays. Spread them out more so you don't have too many clustered in one month and none at all in others.

WizardofOz

As Snopes pointed out the general public feels there is already too many federal holidays and so it is hard to pass new ones. If you were to go this route it ought to be part of a general overhaul of all federal holidays. Spread them out more so you don't have too many clustered in one month and none at all in others.

I think Columbus Day is rightfully on its way out.

Kit the Coyote

I think Columbus Day is rightfully on its way out.

It is certainly the most vulnerable as far doing away with. He isn't an American Hero and there enough political hatred around the holiday. I would support doing away with it for the former but not the latter. If we changed it to a holiday celebrating the colonization of America say it would unlink it to Columbus' birth and let us move it to one of the months that has no holiday. We can do that already with President's day.

WizardofOz

It is certainly the most vulnerable as far doing away with. He isn't an American Hero and there enough political hatred around the holiday. I would support doing away with it for the former but not the latter. If we changed it to a holiday celebrating the colonization of America say it would unlink it to Columbus' birth and let us move it to one of the months that has no holiday. We can do that already with President's day.

I think we should change Columbus Day to an election day holiday

The Tuesday after the first Monday of November

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond

"...the Norse explorer who led the first Europeans thought to have set foot in continental North America (other than Greenland)..."

so far they've only confirmed L'Anse aux Meadows

does newfoundland count as "continental north America"?

'cause geologically, it's a closer match to spain :)