The perniciously misunderstood “don’t judge” precept.

stephengoswami

BANNED
Banned
I remember a conversation between a mother and son of a ‘Christian’ family.

Mother ”you are a very bad boy always quarreling with me, hurting sisters and playmates. All will hate you for that.”

Son “why you judge me? That day I heard in church that Christ told never to judge and curse. You are cursing me too that people will hate me”.

It is one of the most misunderstood confusing precepts. People especially ‘Christians’ shield themselves from reforming criticism-process by that. Why Christ gave such a command which harms naïve people?

It is due to mistranslation from Aramaic to various languages.
Christ himself judged people and apostles judged also. Without judging we can’t live a single moment of our life, can’t take a single step. When we walk, we judge if the place for next step is a safe one. We can’t buy or take a single thing without judging. When we deal with people we automatically judge to evaluate them. Otherwise harm is sure. If we don’t judge a person if he is reliable or not before dealing with him we are sure to harm myself and him. If I employ one I must judge his capacity to perform. Otherwise we both harm ourselves.

Problem comes from confusing the connotations of that Aramaic word. One meaning is evaluation another is condemnation. Christ forbade judgment in the later sense, never in the former sense, which he incessantly practiced. Some of his acts may seem to be in condemnation sense as in dealing with Jewish priests and temple merchants. But it was never in the sense of eternal hate-condemnation.
So beware of one, who tells not to judge. He is hindering saving-correction.

Letsargue

I remember a conversation between a mother and son of a ‘Christian’ family.

Mother ”you are a very bad boy always quarreling with me, hurting sisters and playmates. All will hate you for that.”

Son “why you judge me? That day I heard in church that Christ told never to judge and curse. You are cursing me too that people will hate me”.

It is one of the most misunderstood confusing precepts. People especially ‘Christians’ shield themselves from reforming criticism-process by that. Why Christ gave such a command which harms naïve people?

It is due to mistranslation from Aramaic to various languages.
Christ himself judged people and apostles judged also. Without judging we can’t live a single moment of our life, can’t take a single step. When we walk, we judge if the place for next step is a safe one. We can’t buy or take a single thing without judging. When we deal with people we automatically judge to evaluate them. Otherwise harm is sure. If we don’t judge a person if he is reliable or not before dealing with him we are sure to harm myself and him. If I employ one I must judge his capacity to perform. Otherwise we both harm ourselves.

Problem comes from confusing the connotations of that Aramaic word. One meaning is evaluation another is condemnation. Christ forbade judgment in the later sense, never in the former sense, which he incessantly practiced. Some of his acts may seem to be in condemnation sense as in dealing with Jewish priests and temple merchants. But it was never in the sense of eternal hate-condemnation.
So beware of one, who tells not to judge. He is hindering saving-correction.

More garbage, and meaningless testimonials!!! – Christ has THE Testimonial, and yours mean nothing but blasphemy!!!

Paul – 042113

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
I enjoyed your post stephengoswami. It can indeed be a fine line and hard to discern sometimes.

Letsargue

Is this a trick question or do you just want to argue?

There is NO Argument to it!!!!!! - You must be very powerful, to take such garbage and define it as "Righteousness". -- Maybe you would do well to read the Book and find out what a "broad way" is to a straight and narrow line / Path!!

Paul -- 042113

stephengoswami

BANNED
Banned
There is NO Argument to it!!!!!! - You must be very powerful, to take such garbage and define it as "Righteousness". -- Maybe you would do well to read the Book and find out what a "broad way" is to a straight and narrow line / Path!!

Paul -- 042113

Thank you for using the term ‘garbage’ a mild word! Jesus and martyrs suffered much much more to uphold the absolute love-glory of Heavenly Father and still suffering. I must be ready for that also. Blessings!

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER

Paul -- 042113
Guess what Letsargue, I understand much more than you conjecture. But in any case I am glad to see that your goodbye post was temporary angst. I enjoy reading your posts.

Bradley D

To judge can also mean to condemn in the NT Greek. It also refers to rash judgement. Such as was used against Jesus himself at His trail.

I would rather use the word admonish to warn or counsel (2 Thessalonians 3:15).

"If your brother or sister sins, go and point out their fault, just between the two of you. If they listen to you, you have won them over" (Matthew 18:15).

I would also point out the 5th commandment to the son. He seems to be a bit
obnoxious/conceited.

TruthSetsFree

"You will know them by their fruits"

someone always resorts to ad hominem?

probably not a good Christian (as in SERIOUS christian)

someone steals, lies, cheats...

not good fruit

so we can "judge" that it would be best to stay away from that person...

after telling him he is going to Hell... (hmmmmm):chuckle:

What? are we not to tell people the truth???

stephengoswami

BANNED
Banned
"You will know them by their fruits"

someone always resorts to ad hominem?

probably not a good Christian (as in SERIOUS christian)
You cant avoid tickling emotions as people are emotional creatures.

someone steals, lies, cheats...

not good fruit

so we can "judge" that it would be best to stay away from that person...

after telling him he is going to Hell... (hmmmmm):chuckle:

What? are we not to tell people the truth???

Certainly we have to tell also that his hell is going to start here too.