The opiate addiction myth

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I do not believe a regular good guy would buy dirty powders and then cook it in a spoon and inject that potentially diseased substance into their vein. No, never did I think any moral and normal person would do that! I do understand having a severe pain condition and needing so much pain medication to keep for endlessly screaming, to become addicted to opiates. I understand how someone addicted might try to "doctor shop" and take more pills.

What I do not believe in is they come to a point where they would go to the seedy part of town and buy some junk where people with illness and disease may have corrupted that junk, then take it home and inject it into one's vein, no way!

The average person who hurts and needs pain relief will use drugs as prescribed, and might build up tolerance, thus leading to addiction and pill seeking, but that is a different world than buying street dope and injecting it into a vein.

I have more proof, having seen prisoners forced to go through physical withdrawal, and after that the physical addiction is gone. These people, these criminals after not being addicted, still want to inject dope for its own pleasure. This is real addiction! People who want to be doped up, not because of pain of withdrawal, but because they want to go though life doped up, hooking and committing crimes. They are seedy people who do not like normal life; they are sociopaths who prefer the jobless loafing spaced out underworld.

Think about yourself; if you were in great pain and had to use opiates and became addicted, then knowing there are programs to help you withdrawal, would you choose to use the drugs again knowing how hard or was to withdrawal? No, you would hope you never needed the drugs again. Only loser dopey people who are very lazy and hate facing reality use street dope. The opiate addiction myth leading to injecting heroin is not realistic.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I am not going to eat your head if you disagree with me.

If you are the type who hangs out in a red-light slum, tell me your story.

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Most folks who get addicted from prescriptions will seek out easy going doctors.

However there are many folks who inject heroine that hold down good jobs.

Why would you broad brush them as criminals?

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I was up all of last night plotting my stock trading; that might be an addiction?

Never had the candy addiction or been a pill head.

Those "ex-addicts" in Texas TACADA really hated me more than meany here on TOL. Even though I wrote many of the course studies, at fist, I might be mentioned under the history?

Danoh

Most folks who get addicted from prescriptions will seek out easy going doctors.

She hit close to home "bong" man? :chuckle:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame

Yes, to the doctor pill pushing kind, but no to the street drugs. One has to be of the street even to know how to buy (cop) on the streets.

Two separate groups, one victim of pain, and one a sociopath. They pronounce it hair-on.

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Yes, to the doctor pill pushing kind, but no to the street drugs. One has to be of the street even to know how to buy (cop) on the streets.

Two separate groups, one victim of pain, and one a sociopath. They pronounce it hair-on.

That's not an answer.

quip

BANNED
Banned
The average person who hurts and needs pain relief will use drugs as prescribed, and might build up tolerance, thus leading to addiction and pill seeking, but that is a different world than buying street dope and injecting it into a vein.

So what?
They're both human beings, in pain and in need of help. :idunno:

What's your angle here....do you believe the former should be empathized with while the other disdained and forgotten?
Or is this merely an active display of Ktoyou's self-righteous methodology?

Danoh

Once, while accompanying the mentally ill offspring of a neighbor who'd ended up stuck at work, the person complained to me about various side effects they were tired of.

I look into the matter with their "Doctor" a real quack if there ever was one.

The absolute jerk opens his laptop and simply proceeds to go through a list of various powerful drugs with the words "what about this one...or this one...or this one" as the patient would just rattle off the various side effects.

The entire affair felt like one of those movies where some sleazy weapons dealer goes from naming the various weapons he has for sale; to the various illegal drugs he also hopes to profit from.

In the end, that "Doctor" began to feel that patient out about some new "very expensive drug" - every bit as cold, and impersonal as that illegal weapons and drugs dealer.

Later, when we were on the elevator, just before the doors closed, a nurse came down a hallway and turned a corner with all sorts of drugs she was on her way to administer to various patients.

I found myself thinking 'look at that - rampant drug peddling out in the open; they even have their own built-in "streets" and corners...'

Another time, I was visiting someone in a hospital, next to someone who was dying right then and there.

The line on their monitor is straight and all the rest, when the nurse rushes in to give that dead person the last of the morphine that person had been on.

She sees me looking at her and blurts out "I - I - I have to - so the hospital can bill for it...or, or, I'll - lose my job!"

Sorry, K, but the streets having nothing on the rampant, abusive drug peddling that goes on in various hospitals and clinics.

Of course, the Trump fraud of an "Administration" has moved to remove various of the penalties and restrictions against such abuses.