The Old Covenant

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Shalom.

Today is Chamishi (Fifth), Aviv 6. I am writing from Tacoma, Washington. The sun has set. It is evening, night. Chamishi and Aviv 6 continue until the end of day.

Was the TaNaK first or the Christian Old Testament or the Old Testament?

There is a reading of the Old Covenant.

2 Corinthians 3:14 NKJV - But their minds were blinded. For until this day the same veil remains unlifted in the reading of the Old Testament, because the [veil] is taken away in Christ.

However, for a definition of the Old Covenant, we have this.

Exodus 34:28 NASB - So he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did not eat bread or drink water. And he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant, the Ten Commandments.
Deuteronomy 4:13 NASB - "So He declared to you His covenant which He commanded you to perform, that is, the Ten Commandments; and He wrote them on two tablets of stone.
Deuteronomy 10:4 NASB - "He wrote on the tablets, like the former writing, the Ten Commandments which the LORD had spoken to you on the mountain from the midst of the fire on the day of the assembly; and the LORD gave them to me.

From among the verses or scriptures with the word covenant in the Torah we do have the following.

Exodus 24:7 NASB - Then he took the book of the covenant and read it in the hearing of the people; and they said, "All that the LORD has spoken we will do, and we will be obedient!"
Exodus 24:8 NASB - So Moses took the blood and sprinkled it on the people, and said, "Behold the blood of the covenant, which the LORD has made with you in accordance with all these words."
Exodus 34:10 NASB - Then God said, "Behold, I am going to make a covenant. Before all your people I will perform miracles which have not been produced in all the earth nor among any of the nations; and all the people among whom you live will see the working of the LORD, for it is a fearful thing that I am going to perform with you.
Exodus 34:27 NASB - Then the LORD said to Moses, "Write down these words, for in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel."
Exodus 34:28 NASB - So he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did not eat bread or drink water. And he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant, the Ten Commandments.
Leviticus 26:9 NASB - 'So I will turn toward you and make you fruitful and multiply you, and I will confirm My covenant with you.
Leviticus 26:15 NASB - if, instead, you reject My statutes, and if your soul abhors My ordinances so as not to carry out all My commandments, and so break My covenant,
Leviticus 26:25 NASB - 'I will also bring upon you a sword which will execute vengeance for the covenant; and when you gather together into your cities, I will send pestilence among you, so that you shall be delivered into enemy hands.
Leviticus 26:44 NASB - 'Yet in spite of this, when they are in the land of their enemies, I will not reject them, nor will I so abhor them as to destroy them, breaking My covenant with them; for I am the LORD their God.
Leviticus 26:45 NASB - 'But I will remember for them the covenant with their ancestors, whom I brought out of the land of Egypt in the sight of the nations, that I might be their God. I am the LORD.'"
Numbers 10:33 NASB - Thus they set out from the mount of the LORD three days' journey, with the ark of the covenant of the LORD journeying in front of them for the three days, to seek out a resting place for them.
Numbers 14:44 NASB - But they went up heedlessly to the ridge of the hill country; neither the ark of the covenant of the LORD nor Moses left the camp.
Deuteronomy 4:13 NASB - "So He declared to you His covenant which He commanded you to perform, that is, the Ten Commandments; and He wrote them on two tablets of stone.
Deuteronomy 4:23 NASB - "So watch yourselves, that you do not forget the covenant of the LORD your God which He made with you, and make for yourselves a graven image in the form of anything against which the LORD your God has commanded you.
Deuteronomy 5:2 NASB - "The LORD our God made a covenant with us at Horeb.
Deuteronomy 5:3 NASB - "The LORD did not make this covenant with our fathers, but with us, with all those of us alive here today.
Deuteronomy 9:9 NASB - "When I went up to the mountain to receive the tablets of stone, the tablets of the covenant which the LORD had made with you, then I remained on the mountain forty days and nights; I neither ate bread nor drank water.
Deuteronomy 9:11 NASB - "It came about at the end of forty days and nights that the LORD gave me the two tablets of stone, the tablets of the covenant.
Deuteronomy 9:15 NASB - "So I turned and came down from the mountain while the mountain was burning with fire, and the two tablets of the covenant were in my two hands.
Deuteronomy 10:8 NASB - At that time the LORD set apart the tribe of Levi to carry the ark of the covenant of the LORD, to stand before the LORD to serve Him and to bless in His name until this day.
Deuteronomy 29:25 NASB - "Then men will say, 'Because they forsook the covenant of the LORD, the God of their fathers, which He made with them when He brought them out of the land of Egypt.
Deuteronomy 31:25 NASB - that Moses commanded the Levites who carried the ark of the covenant of the LORD, saying,

There was a covenant made at Moab in addition to the covenant made at Horeb.

Deuteronomy 29:1 NASB - These are the words of the covenant which the LORD commanded Moses to make with the sons of Israel in the land of Moab, besides the covenant which He had made with them at Horeb.

Also we can learn about the book of the law, more than just in the Torah here.

Deuteronomy 29:21 NASB - "Then the LORD will single him out for adversity from all the tribes of Israel, according to all the curses of the covenant which are written in this book of the law.
Deuteronomy 30:10 NASB - if you obey the LORD your God to keep His commandments and His statutes which are written in this book of the law, if you turn to the LORD your God with all your heart and soul.
Deuteronomy 31:26 NASB - "Take this book of the law and place it beside the ark of the covenant of the LORD your God, that it may remain there as a witness against you.

So this shows or demonstrates that there is a covenant made with the nation of Israel that we call the Old Covenant.

That there was more than one covenant.

That there are more covenants spoken of we can learn or find out as well, either the Torah or the TaNaK.

That we can learn about the book of the law.

And the book of the covenant.

Exodus 24:7 NASB - Then he took the book of the covenant and read it in the hearing of the people; and they said, "All that the LORD has spoken we will do, and we will be obedient!"

We can also read about the covenant God made with Phinehas "and his descendants after him, a covenant of a perpetual priesthood".

THE STONE EDITION
THE CHUMASH

Numbers 25:10-13

HASHEM spoke to Moses, saying:
"Phinehas son of Elazar son of Aaron the Kohen, turned back My wrath from upon the Children of Israel, when he zealously avenged My vengeance among them, so I did not consume the Children of Israel in My vengeance.
Therefore, say: Behold! I give him My covenant of peace.
And it shall be for him and his offspring after him a covenant of eternal priesthood, because he took vengeance for his God, and he atoned for the Children of Israel."

Remember, God made a covenant with Noah. God made a covenant with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. NASB.

Shalom.

Jacob

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Shalom.

Boker Tov! Good Morning! It is Yom, Day. Chamishi, Fifth. Aviv 6.

I have read the following though I do not know what this law is that is being referred to, to be read every seventh year at the Feast of Tabernacles.

Deuteronomy 31:9-12 NASB 9 So Moses wrote this law and gave it to the priests, the sons of Levi who carried the ark of the covenant of the LORD, and to all the elders of Israel. 10 Then Moses commanded them, saying, "At the end of every seven years, at the time of the year of remission of debts, at the Feast of Booths, 11 when all Israel comes to appear before the LORD your God at the place which He will choose, you shall read this law in front of all Israel in their hearing. 12 "Assemble the people, the men and the women and children and the alien who is in your town, so that they may hear and learn and fear the LORD your God, and be careful to observe all the words of this law.

Shalom.

Jacob

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Shalom.

Today is Shishi, Aviv 7.

There is a covenant that we call the old covenant. What covenant is this? And, what about believers observing God's Law even after the time of Christ? What makes the covenant old? What do we mean when we say old covenant? What is meant by the word old, recognizing that there was, is, and or has been a covenant that we are speaking of and have spoken of or that people speak of or refer to as old or as being old?

Hebrews 8:7 NASB - For if that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion sought for a second.
Hebrews 9:1 NASB - Now even the first covenant had regulations of divine worship and the earthly sanctuary.
Hebrews 9:15 NASB - For this reason He is the mediator of a new covenant, so that, since a death has taken place for the redemption of the transgressions that were committed under the first covenant, those who have been called may receive the promise of the eternal inheritance.
Hebrews 9:18 NASB - Therefore even the first covenant was not inaugurated without blood.

Hebrews 8:7 NASB - For if that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion sought for a second.

Shalom.

Jacob

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
The first commandment and the first covenant started here. Even before woman

[Gen 2:15-18
15 Then the LORD God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to tend and keep it.
16 And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, "Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat; 17 "but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die."
18 And the LORD God said, "[It is] not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him."

eleos

Shalom.

Boker Tov! Good Morning! It is Yom, Day. Chamishi, Fifth. Aviv 6.

I have read the following though I do not know what this law is that is being referred to, to be read every seventh year at the Feast of Tabernacles.

Deuteronomy 31:9-12 NASB 9 So Moses wrote this law and gave it to the priests, the sons of Levi who carried the ark of the covenant of the LORD, and to all the elders of Israel. 10 Then Moses commanded them, saying, "At the end of every seven years, at the time of the year of remission of debts, at the Feast of Booths, 11 when all Israel comes to appear before the LORD your God at the place which He will choose, you shall read this law in front of all Israel in their hearing. 12 "Assemble the people, the men and the women and children and the alien who is in your town, so that they may hear and learn and fear the LORD your God, and be careful to observe all the words of this law.

Shalom.

Jacob

From what I can find - it's not a "single law" but the complete law (fist 5 books).

Israel was required to read the Law (first five books of the Bible) at least once every seven years.

Deuteronomy 31:9 And Moses wrote this law, and delivered it unto the priests the sons of Levi, which bare the ark of the covenant of the Lord, and unto all the elders of Israel. 10 And Moses commanded them, saying, At the end of every seven years, in the solemnity of the year of release, in the feast of tabernacles, 11 When all Israel is come to appear before the Lord thy God in the place which he shall choose, thou shalt read this law before all Israel in their hearing. 12 Gather the people together, men, and women, and children, and thy stranger that is within thy gates, that they may hear, and that they may learn, and fear the Lord your God, and observe to do all the words of this law: 13 And that their children, which have not known any thing, may hear, and learn to fear the Lord your God, as long as ye live in the land whither ye go over Jordan to possess it.

Following are the versus I find regarding Feast of Tabernacle

Exodus 23:16

"Also you shall observe the Feast of the Harvest of the first fruits of your labors from what you sow in the field; also the Feast of the Ingathering at the end of the year when you gather in the fruit of your labors from the field.

Exodus 23:14

"Three times a year you shall celebrate a feast to Me.

Exodus 34:22-23
"You shall celebrate the Feast of Weeks, that is, the first fruits of the wheat harvest, and the Feast of Ingathering at the turn of the year.

Leviticus 23:33-34
Again the LORD spoke to Moses, saying,

Numbers 29:12

'Then on the fifteenth day of the seventh month you shall have a holy convocation; you shall do no laborious work, and you shall observe a feast to the LORD for seven days.

Deuteronomy 16:13

"You shall celebrate the Feast of Booths seven days after you have gathered in from your threshing floor and your wine vat;

Leviticus 23:40

'Now on the first day you shall take for yourselves the foliage of beautiful trees, palm branches and boughs of leafy trees and willows of the brook, and you shall rejoice before the LORD your God for seven days.

Leviticus 23:37

'These are the appointed times of the LORD which you shall proclaim as holy convocations, to present offerings by fire to the LORD--burnt offerings and grain offerings, sacrifices and drink offerings, each day's matter on its own day--

Numbers 29:13-38
'You shall present a burnt offering, an offering by fire as a soothing aroma to the LORD: thirteen bulls, two rams, fourteen male lambs one year old, which are without defect;

2 Chronicles 8:12-13
Then Solomon offered burnt offerings to the LORD on the altar of the LORD which he had built before the porch;

Ezra 3:4

They celebrated the Feast of Booths, as it is written, and offered the fixed number of burnt offerings daily, according to the ordinance, as each day required;

Nehemiah 8:17-18
The entire assembly of those who had returned from the captivity made booths and lived in them. The sons of Israel had indeed not done so from the days of Joshua the son of Nun to that day And there was great rejoicing.

John 7:2-3
Now the feast of the Jews, the Feast of Booths, was near.

God Bless

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
The first commandment and the first covenant started here. Even before woman

[Gen 2:15-18
15 Then the LORD God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to tend and keep it.
16 And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, "Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat; 17 "but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die."
18 And the LORD God said, "[It is] not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him."

Shalom.

Today is Rishon, Aviv 9.

I am not certain of what claim you are making. Do you know if there is more than one Hebrew word translated as covenant? I do not see the word covenant here. I did not include from the English a covenant God made with Adam. Certainly this is what God commanded.

Shalom.

Jacob

Jacob

BANNED
Banned

From what I can find - it's not a "single law" but the complete law (fist 5 books).

Israel was required to read the Law (first five books of the Bible) at least once every seven years.

Deuteronomy 31:9 And Moses wrote this law, and delivered it unto the priests the sons of Levi, which bare the ark of the covenant of the Lord, and unto all the elders of Israel. 10 And Moses commanded them, saying, At the end of every seven years, in the solemnity of the year of release, in the feast of tabernacles, 11 When all Israel is come to appear before the Lord thy God in the place which he shall choose, thou shalt read this law before all Israel in their hearing. 12 Gather the people together, men, and women, and children, and thy stranger that is within thy gates, that they may hear, and that they may learn, and fear the Lord your God, and observe to do all the words of this law: 13 And that their children, which have not known any thing, may hear, and learn to fear the Lord your God, as long as ye live in the land whither ye go over Jordan to possess it.

Following are the versus I find regarding Feast of Tabernacle

Exodus 23:16

"Also you shall observe the Feast of the Harvest of the first fruits of your labors from what you sow in the field; also the Feast of the Ingathering at the end of the year when you gather in the fruit of your labors from the field.

Exodus 23:14

"Three times a year you shall celebrate a feast to Me.

Exodus 34:22-23
"You shall celebrate the Feast of Weeks, that is, the first fruits of the wheat harvest, and the Feast of Ingathering at the turn of the year.

Leviticus 23:33-34
Again the LORD spoke to Moses, saying,

Numbers 29:12

'Then on the fifteenth day of the seventh month you shall have a holy convocation; you shall do no laborious work, and you shall observe a feast to the LORD for seven days.

Deuteronomy 16:13

"You shall celebrate the Feast of Booths seven days after you have gathered in from your threshing floor and your wine vat;

Leviticus 23:40

'Now on the first day you shall take for yourselves the foliage of beautiful trees, palm branches and boughs of leafy trees and willows of the brook, and you shall rejoice before the LORD your God for seven days.

Leviticus 23:37

'These are the appointed times of the LORD which you shall proclaim as holy convocations, to present offerings by fire to the LORD--burnt offerings and grain offerings, sacrifices and drink offerings, each day's matter on its own day--

Numbers 29:13-38
'You shall present a burnt offering, an offering by fire as a soothing aroma to the LORD: thirteen bulls, two rams, fourteen male lambs one year old, which are without defect;

2 Chronicles 8:12-13
Then Solomon offered burnt offerings to the LORD on the altar of the LORD which he had built before the porch;

Ezra 3:4

They celebrated the Feast of Booths, as it is written, and offered the fixed number of burnt offerings daily, according to the ordinance, as each day required;

Nehemiah 8:17-18
The entire assembly of those who had returned from the captivity made booths and lived in them. The sons of Israel had indeed not done so from the days of Joshua the son of Nun to that day And there was great rejoicing.

John 7:2-3
Now the feast of the Jews, the Feast of Booths, was near.

God Bless
Shalom.

Today is Rishon, Aviv 9.

I do not know what this law is.

God bless.

Shalom.

Jacob

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Shalom.

Today is Rishon, Aviv 9.

I am not certain of what claim you are making. Do you know if there is more than one Hebrew word translated as covenant? I do not see the word covenant here. I did not include from the English a covenant God made with Adam. Certainly this is what God commanded.

Shalom.

Jacob

I said
Most people don't specifically need a word to understand what is said. Don't eat and don't die. Eat and you will die. That is a covenant.

[Gen 2:17
17 "but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die."

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I said
Most people don't specifically need a word to understand what is said. Don't eat and don't die. Eat and you will die. That is a covenant.

17 "but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die."

Shalom.

Today is Sheni, Aviv 10.

Rather, I was talking about the covenants found in scripture.

Shalom.

Jacob

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Shalom.

Today is Sheni, Aviv 10.

Rather, I was talking about the covenants found in scripture.

Shalom.

Jacob

I said
lol Now where do you think Gen comes from a cook book?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I said
lol Now where do you think Gen comes from a cook book?

Today is Shlishli, Aviv 11.

Genesis comes from the Torah or Pentateuch, the Law, Law of Moses, or the Five Books of Moses, the TaNaK, and the Christian Old Testament or Old Covenant. It comes before the time of Moses, but was written during the time of Moses or afterward.

Shalom.

Jacob

eleos

Shalom.

Today is Rishon, Aviv 9.

I do not know what this law is.

God bless.

Shalom.

Jacob

The law being referred to is the entire first five books of the OT --- the Torah ... written by Moses
Israel was required to read the Law (first five books of the Bible) at least once every seven years. They did this at the Feast of Tabernacles because that was when there was a huge gathering of the jewish people.

Again ... the law being referred to is the entire Torah.