Theology Club: The Mind of Christ

Danoh

The following is in the spirit of exploring of each our respective understandings of things within, as well as of, our mutual faith.

The hope is that we might think on it a bit beyond what the wisdom of men as a tradition continues to teach...

And that the tradition of men continues able to teach, when one is unaware one is being taught an off-base tradition, because there is a great deal to have to sort out, as a result of the wisdom of men, parroted by men, down through the centuries.

The question is, where in Scripture does it say we have the Mind of Christ; and what is that Mind?

1 Corinthians 2:

9. But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

An aside on the above passage - the Apostle Paul is not so much quoting Isaiah as extracting from Isaiah a governing principle, or general rule of thumb, that, while the same in principle, is different in scope, setting, context, and content.

Thus, his words "But as it is written..."

His sense is similar to our saying "...but you know what they say; you can't fight city hall..."

When we either use such expressions, or are inspired to on the spot due to some principle common in both our situation and our description of said situation via an analogy, we are not, for example, actually talking about "city hall."

This is a study in itself. So; I'll move on from that for now. Back to our text as to this issue of the intended sense of Paul's "the Mind of Christ..."

9. But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
10. But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
11. For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
12. Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
13. Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the
Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
14. But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
15. But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
16. For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.

1 Corinthians 3:

1. And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.
2. I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.
3. For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?

My own understanding about those passages through the passages [and other passages] is that the Apostle Paul is asserting there that the Mind of Christ on the things of God had been given to his spirit by the Spirit of God,.

He relates this there in 1 Cor. 2 and into 1 Cor. 3; where he also relates that the Corinthians did not posses said Mind of Christ on the things of God.

The Apostle Paul's mind there is the Mind of Christ on the things of God given to Paul's mind; to his spirit, by the Spirit of God, for him to write about.

All we have as to said Mind of Christ is His written Word.

Romans 15:

15. Nevertheless, brethren, I have written the more boldly unto you in some sort, as putting you in mind, because of the grace that is given to me of God,

1 Corinthians 14:

37. If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.

Colossians 3:

16. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

Of course, being that "whatsoever is not of faith is sin," Rom. 14:23, don't simply take my word for it, nor...to appease me.

In the spirit of Eph. 4:16,

Danoh

Last edited: